1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Why did Gai develop an anti-sharingan strategy again?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by jbyrnes1, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jbyrnes1 Member

I'm not saying that it wasn't useful, because it was extremely useful against Itachi. But... does Kakashi have some other eye jutsu that we just don't know about?

Because the only jutsu that just uses the eyes that I know of is Tsukiyomi. Itachi showed that you don't' have to use eyes to use other genjutsu (like against Naruto).

But do you really think there are other genjutsu that use the sharingan that require eye contact?

Maybe there are.

But even so, is it really THAT big of a problem for Gai that he needs to develop an entire strategy just for that one ability?

Anyway, just thought it was strange. I guess there must be jutsu along those lines because otherwise he wouldn't have had to make the strategy.

Because it's not like not looking your opponents in the eyes prevents them from copying them or predicting their movements.

Tags:
  2. Euraj X I I I

I think the Sharingan naturally screws with people's minds just by looking into it. I think you can assume the eye has natural Genjutsu and that would explain why Gai bases his training around Taijutsu.

3. ab56v2 Member

Sasuke also did some kind of genjutsu against Sai. Kakashi used some kind of trick against Zabuza too, so Sharingan must have some other nameless techniques.

4. mustang BOOM

Sharingan even without the ms is capable of a unique form of hypnosis that involves suggesting actions and thoughts to the opponent evident by Kakashi and Zabuzza's fight when he used sharingan to suggest jutsus for Zabuzza to use and then immediately counter by using the same jutsu as explained by Zabuzza-
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

5. SAMSARA Banned

Or maybe...

Gai just has no life.

6. Kinjishi Well-Known Member

The sharingan has a sort of hypnotic ability that requires eye contact to take affact. So in order to counter this, Gai developed a fighting method so that he would not fall under the hypnotic "spell" of the sharingan, like Zabuza did during his first encounter with Kakashi.

7. Spanish Hoffkage Lol. Kisame

Gai rules over all, even the sharingan.

Gai=God

8. MF NaruSimpson In memory of Trayvon

maybe gai will fight blindfolded against itachi

9. Cantankerous Member

In reality, it won't really work that effectively, and probably only Gai, and a high taijutsu user would be able to attempt it. He'd have to be able to be fast, and quickly counter whatever the sharingan user predicted he'd use.

10. Alcazar The most Known Unknown

QFT

So if Gai=God, then Gai>AL and AL>rest of people in Narutoverse its simple math.

11. kazuri Kugutsu-shi

Uh, sharingan can do everything. Can see taijutsu, can copy ninjutsu, can create genjutsu.

Remember kakashi vs zabuza? that was genjutsu, and VERY cleverly done by kishimoto. I wish more fights were like the ones in that arc.

12. The Fourth Hokage Shinobi Perfection

Sharingan requires eye contact to put someone into a genjutsu. That's why Gai developed it. However, Itachi is an extremely skilled genjutsu user. He's above a regular sharingan user and that's why he was able to use only his finger to put Naruto into a genjutsu

13. Mikazuki no Mai Dance of the Crescent Moon

You could also argue that Naruto sucks at noticing Genjutsu and that is another reason a point of a finger worked on him lol.

14. kuchiyoseNOjutsu Badass

Yeah Naruto's weak against genjutsu, however Itachi's finger genjutsu was something else. I bet he developed that technique to counter enemies who avoided eye contact during battle.
    He might've even developed that after encountering Gai in Konoha, seeing as he knew Konoha nins in particular could practice fighting him without looking thru his eyes.

15. Xyphere The Reverser

Gai and Kakashi are rivals yeah?...

16. caius Member

I don't exactly see how that is "anti sharingan" though. It doesn't make him any more effective against them. The sharingan reads muscle tension to predict movement, so even if they don't lock eyes, a god sharingan user can still avoid his attacks and counter with their own skills.

17. Sasuke` Konoha no Kiiroi SenkĊ

He has it.. and it is proven useful. But against a guy like itachi.. fighting by looking at their feet..... Id say wouldnt work.

18. BowL <font color="#AA5303">Sand Surfer</font>

If you dont look at the sharingan while it is being used, you cant be put under the genjitsus it brings with it. This was what was thought untill the Kakashi+Naruto vs. Itachi fight, where one finger was used.

So untill that fight, Gai thought the sharingan would be rendered useless if he cannot see your eyes.

19. Cantankerous Member

I was waiting for someone to say that. Gai developed that strategy while doing his little fun battles with Kakashi, neither going close to hard on each other I'd assume. If he developed this simply as a method to fight Kakashi during this fun boughts, you really think he'd use this against Itachi? Seriously, Itachis in insanely fast(faster than Gai Ive taken it), you think he's gonna handicap himself in a fight to the death? While Gai has his eyes focused on Itachis feet, Itachi already has killed him.

Gai strategy only would work in a non-serious battle with Kakashi, he'd have to be a fool to actually use it against Kakashi,Sasuke, or Itachi in a real fight.

20. John Connor Lightning Tiger

you have no idea how hardcore Gai is

21. Cantankerous Member

I have a great idea how great of a ninja Gai is; however, I'm not a fanboy. The only character I have a biass when it comes to any character is Jiraiya, because he's really hardcore.

22. theleaningelm Quintessence

Heh. I agree with Kobra.

Numerous characters have mentioned that genjutsu works normally with eye to eye contact. Remember the Zabuza vs. Kakashi fight? Zabuza negated the Sharingan's genjutsu's ability by closing his eyes, i.e. not looking Kakashi in the eye. Gai has found another way around the genjutsu ability by looking away from the face and anticipating the other person's moves by muscle tension--essentially what Kakashi does w/o cool-looking blood-limit abilities.
    Gai simply calls his tactic an "anti-Sharingan" strategy, because who other than his eternal rival does he fight regularly who can use genjutsu?

23. xenosoft Member

Itachi is not as fast as Gai...his handseal speed is "Blinding fast" not his "speed" And ofcourse his overall speed is above average (duh, S-class criminal)

but I wouldn't compare his speed to gai, not even lee(maxed out).

The Sharingan naturaly cast gen. on you, When you look at someone, you see their whole body, but you focus on their face(eyes). Gai just did the reverse, he focuses on their feet, but still SEES the whole body. It just eliminates one of the sharingans advantages, it still can predict your movements and set you on fire, and lock your chakra, and steal your sou...oh wait scratch the last one, hasn't been added YET.

24. omg laser pew pew! is feeling greedy

Gai won't be making a anti-Sharingan strategy

Sasuke/Itachi/Kakashi will attempt to develop a anti-Gai strategy

25. John Connor Lightning Tiger

they will anticipate his movements then use their faces to block his kicks and punches

26. KrazyMan New Member

To answer the OP's question. Gai developed an anti-sharingan because Kakashi is his "rival" and he needs a way to beat him in a fight, to prove his manlynessness.

27. Kinjishi Well-Known Member

CONCLUSION: GAI definitely pwns

The strategy definitely works. Even Kakashi, the one who the strategy was developed for, asks Gai about it and how it works.
    GAI vs. Kakashi= Gai comes out on top. Great battle though. One of the BEST!

28. xshadowwolfx Hidden In The SHadows

Yea, Gai can look at the feet to avoid eye contact to weaken the effect BUT the Sharingan makes Gai not fight at his full potential just by doing that.

Im sure that Gai can do better if he could look directly at his opponent, so yes this way Gai can fight sharingan users, but if he fights someone about equal to his and that guy has a sharingan that puts Gai at a slight disadvantage.

Though its nothing Youthful Energy can't over come =).

PS Didn't Kakashi you the M...blablabla Sharingan and zapped away somebody's arm, I don't think requires eye contact.

29. Kinjishi Well-Known Member

Ha ha. Yes. Bursting Youth. Nothing overcomes it.:Gaipose

No the MS does not require eyecontact. But it does require an immense amount of precision and chakra. Kakashi must remained focused with his sharingan on a particular target for an extended period of time. Not likely Gai would be caught with something like that though.

30. Missing_Nin missing ninja

It's just a way to avoid the hypnosis of the Sharingan. Anything that helps, even if it's a little, against an opponent is good.