1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Why do ANBU suck?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by MrRabbit, Oct 26, 2006.

1. MrRabbit

As far as I've seen, every ANBU member sucks (exept Yamato, but he has a blood limit.). ANBU are suppose to be an elite assasination squad, so why do they suck so bad?

Tags:
  2. Simulacrum

Mostly, they only fight the super god-like characters, so they really don't have much of a chance to win.

And the Anbu are more than just killers; even Chuunin can be put on an Anbu squad if they have the right talent for the right job. I bet Shikamaru will be promoted to Anbu for some reason pretty soon.

3. Jericko

The main characters are always going to be stronger than any "uber elite" force that has no major impact value on the story.

4. MrRabbit

Naruto n gang fought them n killed them

ps: good point Jericko

5. chauronity

They doesnt even suck D: -- you're wrong. Atleast not all of em -- Yamato is an excellent, fabulous ninja.

The only time ANBU was defeated easily, was during that invasion, when they had to fight low kage level jounin - kabuto - and Orochimaru's personal bodyguards, backed with plot devices. Not much of chance to win, ne?

6. Tsukiyomi

Think about ever person the ANBU have ever fought, they always end up fighting someone they would never have a chance against.

What ANBU would have a chance against Orochimaru?

When Kabuto came in he was on Kakashi's level (a former ANBU) and he was dressed as a leaf ninja so the wouldn't suspect him, this would allow him to get them off guard and kill them.

I can't think of a single instance where they were fighting opponents any normal ninja would have a chance against that wasn't skewed to their disadvantage (like with Kabuto).

7. Musora Kai

If they don't have enough lines, they're just red-shirts.

8. superflyninjaguy

u have to put it in overall perspective. ANBU is in no way weak, they just obviousl cant compare to certan elements that have the advantage of being written to be stronger lol. in the overall basic magical world of naruto the ANBU are elite. they are a force to be reconed with. there are a few superpowers the manga focuses on and thus makes it seem much more narrow than it is but theyy are indeed strong

9. opie

no, two jounins fought the sound four and lost.

10. Yulwei

Somebody has to make the badguys look good

11. Surreal

ANBU never fought them, they were outside the field and couldn't do anything but watch.
    After that they were cought in that sticky chakra web for enough time to allow Orochimaru and Sound Four to escape.

QTF

12. Shinnou Genkaku

The ANBU never had a chance to fight against regular shinobi and those who werent protected by PNJ

13. Edgecrusher

He's talking about Genma and Aoba(?) after they fought Sasuke I think. And that's not quite fair to say, as Shikamaru and Kiba never finished their fights (not to mention Naruto didn't finish any of them), and it was just 2 ANBU vs. 4 Amped up Sound ninjas with crazy summons.

14. Surreal

Genma and Aoba aint ANBU. Aoba is a God in narutoverse but thats not quite the same.

15. drakt

if you want to win a fight as an anbu, take off your mask shout your name and go on about your history for a bit, then you wont be killed.

16. Edgecrusher

My mistake then. But if that's not it, then I don't remember ANBU fighting the Sound 4. I just remember Kido spitting web at them (that's what happened, right?).

17. mori_kureha

:nod almost there are no character in the entire naruto series that wears a mask that became famous nor won w/ a stong opponent... oh well.. who cares as long as naruto-kun is much stonger

18. Surreal

Yep, thats it. The only ANBU encounter with sound 4.

19. kyutofukumaki

They always run into really powerful enemies.

20. busterswd

It's like in a movie where no matter how stupid the villain is, they'll completely destroy the military, special forces, everything except for a spunky team of kids/teenagers/youthful adults who have a crazy idea that just might work.

ANBU is getting destroyed by the plotline. Then again it doesn't hurt that they're fighting consistently insanely strong ninjas.

21. deathgod

I agree with the TC. I think the manga does a piss poor job of portraying the strength of the Anbu. To my knowledge they haven't really shown them to be much of anything except an ez kill. If they want us the readers to buy into the anbu being an 'elite' ninja force, then show it. Show us something that makes us go "DAMN!!!!", not "another anbu got pwn, what else is new". While I'm on this I think this manga does a really bad job of relating the strength of its characters. I'm sure alot of you have been wondering how strong Kabuto really is, how strong Kakashi really is. Take for example: The sannin are suppose to be almost equal in terms of overall strength, yet Kabuto had no problem taking on a 'weakened' Tsunade. but would Kabuto even dream of taking on a Orochimaru (without his hands). I think that Kabuto wouldn't, not because he has some attachment to orochimaru, but because the manga portrays orochimaru as beyond kabuto's abilities, even in a weakened state. I enjoy reading naruto, but I think it would be alot better is kishimoto would think about how he portrays the strength of his characters and make them massive more/underpowered when the situation calls for it. Don't get me wrong, he does a good job of making me believe that certain characters are geniuses, (shikamaru, temari, etc.), but I'd just like to give his readers a better understanding of where characters in his universe stand.

22. pr_master

AMBU= Ansatsu Senjutsu Tokushu Butai, literally
    Assassination Tactics Special Force.

This is what i think about Ambu...

We know they work in squads of 4 with
    the captain usually being a Jonin or a Tokubetsu Jonin in
    assassination and advanced tactics.

No in a million years Naruto could enter Ambu,
    not because he is not powerful but because his style of fighting.

Ambu seeing like the guys that sneak at your home at night
    and kill you, not the ones that try to kill you with force.

Since shikamaru is very inteligent you could say he could be
    a great Ambu captain one day.
    --------------------------------

Acording to wikipedia Tsunade created Niju Shotai
    to destroy akatsuki members so you could say they
    are like ambu (squads of 4, Chunin eligible, etc)
    but instead of going sneaky to kill people their
    only objectives are to kill akatsuki members no matter how.

We all saw how (with some nice strategy) Asuma Team
    (asuma,shikamaru,the other two) gave Hidan a fatal blow,
    that would have being one akatsuki killed in less then a minute,
    but they have the bad luck of hidan beeing inmortal.

But that show you that you dont need a 4-tails naruto to
    kill an akatsuki member. (well atleast the lower ranking ones)

Just think of Ambu as 4-mini shikamarus trying
    to kill an S-rank shinobi.

sry for my english :p

23. Kinjishi

The fact is that no ANBU characters are significant to the story (other than Yamato). Its a story about Naruto and unless he joins ANBU we wont be seeing much of what they do. This does not however deteriate ANBU's position in the Narutoverse. They serve under the direct command of their respective Kage, and pretty much answer to no one but their Kage. Many of the best were once members (Kakashi, Itachi, Zabuza). So obviously they are good at what they do.

24. Mintaka

Bascially most of the tijme we dsee anbu there there as cannon fodder for someone thats obviously a hell lot morwe powerful than they are....in the few instances in which we have seen a specific member of anbu they turn out to be pretty strong.......(except for sia he's just a queer.)

25. dummy plug

yes ANBUs are uber units...but then, they fought orochimaru and kabuto...of course they'll die...ANBUs are no much to the main villains...thats how the story goes...kakashi and yamato are ANBU, even sai...well they dont suck right?

i still believe in them....

26. Hagen

Cause they all die at the first oportunity.Simple as that.

27. coriander

well, this is shounen, we should expect to see more of the main characters than the elite force in the periphery. Just because we don't see more of them or just because they end up defeated when we do get to see them - it doesn't mean they suck. imo, they're there to make the main characters look more interesting, powerful, cool, etc. :amuse

28. dummy plug

29. FadedBlack

the naruto gang is kinda uber strong and they were all nearly killed and got back up from the sand nins also anbu suck because most of the characters you see in naruto are exceptional or genius' but take iruka for example hes a chuunin i think and hes not very strong at all from what ive seen just my opinion i think there kinda like just random chunin and jounin that want to go on top secret missions

30. dummy plug

hmmm....yes...actually ANBU is not a rank, more like a job...chuunins and jounins can join...its like a varsity team...