1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

6. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do Characters in Western Media Rarely Have Battle Auras?

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by DemonDragonJ, Jun 5, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

are a staple of Japanese manga and animation, yet they appear far less frequently in western media, and, when they do appear, they are very often used as references to or parodies of Japanese animation.

What does everyone else say about this? Why do battle auras appear less frequently in western media than they do in eastern media? Are they simply an aspect of Asian culture that is not as prevalent in the west?

Tags:
  2. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

Watch everytime He-Man holds up his sword.

Also we used to have this thing during the Silver Age known as Kirby Dots. Whenever Jack Kirby's characters would have power around their hands or if they were powering up, you saw the Kirby dots.

Then there was silver age fight between Darkseid and Orion and they started glowing. In Countdown, Orion and Darkseid had a show down where they were both glowing with power.

Superman never needed a glow, his design was very simple. Honestly a glow would detract from his presence. Though if he's high on too much sunlight, it could make sense.

Ben Grimm is a giant rock, why would he have an aura?

In recent years Hulk in full rage has a green aura.

It really depends on the character. Orion for example has the Astro Force while Darkseid has the Omega Effect, so it makes sense that they both have auras.

Green Lantern has a green aura...for obvious reasons.

*sigh* I hope Orion and Darkseid have a live action rumble someday.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • List
  3. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

There are times when I feel that a battle aura would make a character seem more powerful and appropriately otherworldly; for example, when
    Spoiler: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spoilers
    Talbot absorbed the gravitonium in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,
    I think that a battle aura would have made sense when he was using his powers, and the same is true for Thanos, Thor, Dr. Strange, or any character who uses an infinity stone.

4. ~Gesy~ Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

And sometimes it just looks cheesy and gimmicky.

When Thanos punched out Iron Man with his bare hands, there is something more raw about it.

Though I believe Thanos should have used a pink aura when he beat up Hulk to show he was using the power stone.

6. MShadows Deathbat

Baka Gaijin are not smart enough to thing of that!

:smartgoku

7. Shiba D. Inu #admiralgang

.. but he wasnt using the stone to beat Hulk

he didnt need to

8. Eternal Dreamer The Bored Lolmaster

It might look cool in anime and manga but pretty sure it wouldn't translate that well in live-action. And I guess it really is more of a Japanese thing as well I guess.

9. Gabe Murim Grand Master

Doesn’t translate good in live action. Also I would not be surprised it was done by anime/manga creators to make it different from American style comics and other mediums. Not if they see it done in American media it would be stated by people that they are mimicking Japanese style. Plus it does not fit many American heroes like Superman, wonder Women and many more imo.

10. Fang Titan

11. Mider T VM Rapist

12. Ben Grimm Kicking the Hulk's Ass

Superman after spending minutes inside the sun, this was from the Our Worlds at War storyline.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List