1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Why do Ichigo and Renji get special clothes upon activating Bankai..?

Discussion in 'Bleach' started by Kimi Sama, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Kimi Sama

Never really thought about this before, but upon watching it animated, it just seems.. wierd.

I mean, we've seen half a dozen other Bankai activated, and none of them change the user at all.

And yet Ichigo gets his swanky Zangetsu style coat and Renji gets his fur cloak, baboon skull shoulder pad and tooth necklace.

Very cool and all, but why only them and no one else?

Only thing I can think of is that maybe it's something that happens the first time you use Bankai, and thus all the experienced captains dont change appearence?

Or is this another of Bleach's "just because" things?

Tags:
  2. Robotkiller

I think renji had the clothes before he transformed?

3. Scared Link

4. Lien

No...he didn't, he was in normal Shinigami outfits.

I thought that Ichigo and Zangetsu became as one, therefore working together and Zangetsu being moulded into Ichigo. However for Renji - probably the same thing =/

5. Lord Yu

I go just because its anime and in anime the writer does whatever the hell he wants with super moves thus logic goes out the window and crazy shit like this happens and we wonder "Why Kubo why?" and he says "Cuz its anime and shit like that happens." Then comes acceptance.

6. Tenrow

It's because their zanpaktou's are directly connected to their bodies ie Ichigo's increased speed and the energy connection of renji's

if you noticed, most of the shingami bankais are not directly connected like sebonzakura has its own flow of energy and the only time it does connect with byakuya it "fuses" with him. I guess it's the whole "Wardrobe" thing Yoruichi was talking about. It's looks cool but it's kinda pointless to have :p

7. Kimi Sama

Heh yeah, I guess theres nothing more to it then that really. I remember back when I watched DBZ how all the fusion warriors got the same outfit, which didnt seem to have anything to do with anything at all.

I see what you mean for Ichigo since he is unique, but if you consider Renji as "directly connected" to Zabimaru simply because the links are connected by his reiatsu, surely the same applies to Byakuya since he manipulates Senbonzakura with his mind?
    Likewise Kurutsuchi and Komomura's Bankai also move on the whim of the owner, and yet no one with this style except for Renji got a fancy new coat.

I think I'll just put it down to be a random cool effect with no meaning. Shame Renji's coat turned out to be a wierd shade of pink:S

8. Tenrow

My other thing is maybe, like i said before, is what yoruichi said. For the wardrobe to have a backside is completely pointless. Maybe what u fully master the bankai, that doesn't happen before, or it could be for bankai's that have been speed trained. I don't know it's just one of my theories

9. Insipidipity

While Ichigo may have new clothes, I thought Renji's clothes were just a part of his bankai, it seemed to be on top of his shinigami clothes. Ichigo's is probably different because I dunno...he's human? or he did it in 3 days?

10. Satsuki inactive

No, seriously, it does have to do with a connection to their bankai. In Ichigo's case he gets Zangetsu's coat, and Renji gets a fur cape. Now with Ichigo's bankai we have a physical increase of speed, and with Renji we have an energy chain. But also, when you master a bankai you get a lot closer to and have more control over the spirit housed in the zanpakutou. Ichigo's manifests itself as the spirit's jacket. Renji gets a fur cape because, translated, his bankai name is "Baboon King Zabimaru."

And as current manga chapters show us, Hitsugaya's bankai also changes his physical apperance a bit. He gets clawed feet! (and, y'know, a dragon attached to his arm)

11. Sintaku

Well I think it is because they look cool.

12. Tokio_no_Go

I just thought there bankai spirit person gave it to them. Ichigos case his zangetsu person, and Renji has his baboon friend.

13. martryn

This is another prime example of martryn's rule of over analyzation. They do because they do. There isn't a specific reason.

14. hakke

over analyzation? Hardly, its logical to question why is something out of the ordinary.

There's isnt a specific reason... and there wont be one.

"To look cool" is the answer.

15. Diaketh

I im more of a believer on "because it looks cool" theories. Your theory is good but fail on one point. Namely, the
    Spoiler: Newest revealed Ban Kai
    Ikkaku's which increased his physical strength and everything, but doesn't give him a new set of clothes.

16. Chamcham Trigger

Well I'm figuring that if the weapons can change and certain items materialize out of nowhere, then clothes materializing may not be too hard to do for them....I guess it depends on the stitching though.

17. Zangetsu59

well i think that maybe they are the only one's that can do that. did ya think about the fact that those two other guys have two zanpakutos in their shikai [maybe bankai] and they are thay only ones in the soul society that can do that?

18. Yulwei

The same reason Ichigo has a permant shikai zanpakuto. Some shinigami just have them. In this case some shinigami have their clothes changing as well as their blade

19. bravin_time

they change outfits cos it makes them extra badass, duh :p

Whats the point of unlocking a power that only a handful of shinigami per generation can obtain if your not gonna have some snazzy threads to go with it??

20. Ooter

Follow my instructions: imagine Renji in normall shinigami outfit with bankai sword, now do the same to ichigo, it aint right is it?

21. Shin - Zangetsu

Hey that's actually a good question, i have always had a particlar thought on that one.

What i think is that there are different types of bankai

1) the type where only the power of the zanpakutou is summoned and used by the weilder (like tousen where suzumushi doesn't actually appears but the black sphere is used by tousen and possibly byakuya since we don't know what senbonzakura looks like)

2) the type where the entire spirit body takes form and the zanpakutou sort of comes to life and can be seen on the same plain of existence (like hitsugaya's shikai withg the ice dragon, komamamura's bankai with the huge tenken, unohana's manta ray type thingy and mayuri's konjiki ajisogi jizou)

3) the type which involves the user and the zanpakutou becoming one (like ichigo, renji (sort of) and if you watched the OVA baishin who fused with his zanpakutou and couldn't unfuse with it.)

just what i think :p

22. ragnara

Because their usual outfit doesn't match with the personality/style of the zanpakuto.

Both Zangetsu and Zabimaru seem to be kind of wild or unadapted to the usualway of the shinigami.

That is why the others keep wearing their ordinary shinigami clothes while Ichigo Renji get a different outfit that is fifferent from the shinigami standard.

23. Grimmjowsensei

Because they gotta look cool but they don't rofl

24. Evil

Because that's what their Bankai looks like, jeez. You might as well ask why everyone's bankai looks different, it's because that's just how thiers manifests, and doesn't Hitsugaya's give him ice like wings and a tail?

25. piccun?

You've gotten it wrong. It's not their Bankai to give them different clothes.
    It's the contrary, as Keigo told us.
    Spoiler:

26. Highmura

God took pity on them and gave them new clean clothes he did.

27. Tasmanian Tiger

They get special clothes because their old ones didn't match with the Bankai Zanpakuto.

And it would be lame is the main characters always looked the same.

28. Kage

i figured it was a 'just because' thing. :oh
    at least it's related to their zanpakutou

29. dreams lie

30. Slayz

Flag:
    Portugal
    Because they have the coolest hair styles in the series .zaru