1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Why do some people hate the voice acting?

Discussion in 'Naruto Dub Discussion' started by Stalin, May 30, 2007.

1. Stalin Banned

Seriously,why? Several of the actors are really expierenced.

Tags:
  2. Patience .~

Ya, I never really had a problem with the dub voice acting.....or any dub anime voice actors actually......as long as they sound like they're into the part....

3. tiff-tiff86 Has no life

It's not always the acting so much as it is just the fact that it's being dubbed. Most people just prefer the origional, that's all.
    Although I have encountered afew anti-dub advocates who said the English Rurouni Kenshin sounded better than the Japanese.

4. Jarl lKarl Jetzt Online!

Partly the lines, I think. The edited lines just sound cheesy. (E.G, english version Jiraiya calls Tsunade an "ugly troll" and she freaks out. It makes much more sense in the japanese version when he calls her "Flat Chested Tsunade"). I think the believe it thing would fit in here too.

And, I don't know about other people, but Naruto's voice and delivery just gets on my nerves... I don't know why.

5. The Internet Banned

Because people who are ignorant don't realise how difficult VAing can be.

6. Stalin Banned

They also have no idea how munch expierence the VAs have. If you look up steven blum's work(he also plays zabuza and orochimaru on the show), you'll get a long list. Same thing for the other VAs on the show.

7. Yakushi Kabuto Socks Activate! Shape of a

I think part of it is because people are just use to the original voices. Sometimes I'm that way, if I hear a character with a certain voice for too long in any language it starts sounding off when I hear it as another. That aside, sometimes, to me, I think although the voices are good they don't necessarily match the character as well. Like Orochimaru's, in the Japanese it is just so perfectly creepy, in the dubbed, while it is sinister, it just doesn't have the same feel to it.

8. Stalin Banned

I see, I don't mind people prefering the sub voices. Its kinds like I'm used to masaru's voice in digimon savers.

9. Shark Skin The Heart[broken]

I wonder too... Well I've never watched any other version (original or subbed) but like others have said, as long as it goes with the character I'm happy with the way the dub is done.

10. Shugorei Ookami

I've seen a few eps and some of the voices don't feel right with the characters.

Itachi for example his voice too deep where as in the Jap version it just sounds more smoother.

The Japanese version just sounds more better its better acted than the Dub is by far and not all voices sound alike... well to me they do, i don't know why that is so don't ask.

They could of done a lot better job with the dub, they could of atleast learned how to prenonce the names better.

They way they prenonce Kakashi's name just sounds as if they are having problems saying it i mean its not really a tounge twister, and Naruto's last name, and Sasuke's Uchiha NOT Uchia get it right!

sorry for the rant there but really come on.

11. Magoichi Original way of the Gun

I don't have any serious problems with the dubs. Its like someone said earlier, the original voices just sound better. When I watch a foreign film from another country who's main language isn't English I don't watch it with dub voice acting, I want to watch it with the original (hopefully with subtitles). I've watched a lot of foreign films over the years to know that dub VA isn't all that great, and that if the original VA soundtrack is available I'd watch the film with it. The same thing goes for Naruto and just about any anime or foreign film/series.

Regardless of whether or not the most experienced English speaking voice actor ever does the VA for a Japanese character, it doesn't matter. You could get the poorest actor to do the same role and it wouldn't be any different in my opinion. It just doesn't sound right. There is an explanation, I just can't put my finger on it. :S

12. Purgatory Banned

Acually, in the original, Jiraiya called her a "flat-chested bitch". But whatever.

To actually contribute to this, there's one word for it: Japanophile.

13. Shark Skin The Heart[broken]

Well I can see how dubbing for an actual film can be a problem, but IMO it wouldn't seem as much of a problem for an anime. Maybe it's because I'm not the biggest anime fan and I don't watch any original versions. Maybe I should try it some time. I can see it when people have a problem with how a voice goes with a character (like those who are talking about Itachi's and Oro's voices). IMO Itachi's voice is nice on the other hand I can see why some wouldn't like Oro's voice all that much even though I haven't seen the originals. But you know everyone has their comfort zone, so yeah.. :laugh

14. Shirker Life & Hometown

I can't honestly see why. I guess people are just used to the original. Some say they've heard the sub VA for so long they get use to it and find english a little 'off'. Now I'm not going to question them because people have they're oppinions. I can kinda sorta see where they're coming from, but at the same time I kinda...y'know...don't.

For me, after watching a few eps of dub Naruto, I decided to turn to the sub to see what people where complaining about. I watched the whole series, I loved the characters, I fell in love with the voices, it was a (and I hope I don't sound cheesy) rewarding experience. Now I'm watching the dub and I can honestly say that I still don't know what people complain about, especially pronuctiation. I really can't hear a difference at all of any of the names between dub and sub ('cept shikamaru, but the difference isn't noticeable.). Of course, like my sister once told me, "Not everyone's like you", but still, I really can't see much fault.

In my own personal oppinion, all the voices perfectly fit the characters. Sasuke=serious emo kid, Ino=annoying girl, Naruto=annoying little kid, Kakashi=Laid back, Gaara=Nutjob, Shika=Lazy ass slacker, Oro=creepy and snake-like. The only people I can see anyone having a problem with is Shino and Neji, but even they are done well, they just take some getting use to.

When it comes to delivery, it's really nothing to talk about. Dubbing is never goind to directly portray the original dialogue and they need to change a few lines comepletely to fit the age grouping of the audience. Besides, some of those same lines get redone in the uncut discs.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  15. halfhearted The gaze into the sun

Like others have said, you just get used to the voices you hear first, and anything else sounds a little strange, off, just not right.

I started watching Naruto way back in January of 2003 :oh ; so it was more than two years later that I heard the English version, and I just had a really hard time doing it.

Also, translation gets a little f'd up due to the low rating of the English version.

But, honestly, it's about what you see first most of the time. I love Hellsing and Cowboy Bebop in English, because that is just what I was introduced to originally. And, Naruto (and most other animes) was Japanese.

16. Magoichi Original way of the Gun

I would have said otaku now that I've given some more thought about it. :noworry

17. lollipop Active Member

I happen to like the voice acting :oh

18. ryne11 Bitches n' Whores

Because they are JAPansies

That is only for the TV broadcast. They change the lines on the uncut DVDs

19. Kisuke_Urahara Gamabunta Fanboy

I don't care. They can sound different than the original and I can accept that. Actually, sometimes I like it better because I can relate to the emotion a little better than in the sometimes mumbly or excessively nasal seiyu version.

It's called voice acting, not voice imitation, so as long as the acting fits the character and situation, I don't care if they sound different than the original. Other people don't see it that way so they go ZOMG DUB FAILS AT LIFE WHY DOESN'T IT SOUND LIKE THE ORIGINAL BLAH BLAH BLAH.

20. Stalin Banned

Yeah I hate that too, but to the japenese version of naruto's voice kinda likes sound like the english version of naruto's voice.

21. Homura Puella Magi

They're too used to the Japanese voice acting that they tend to neglect and shun the dub despite the fact that they haven't even considered giving the dub a chance and the benefit of a doubt. Personally I love the dub of Naruto and even cosider it one of the best I've seen.

22. reddik NF's Dragon Girl

I never really understood that myself, but possibly it's because they don't sound like their Japanese VA's would be.

23. Umbre Forcystus ftw.

Basically, I agree. And Naruto's voice does annoy me. Alot. XD

24. Gaara Nao [alice nine.] is Love

I don't have much of a problem with the voices. I think they fit well. The only one that I really don't like is Itachi's. Back in the forest of death he had a very small part. There his voice was fine. But they ended up putting a different voice actor in for the newer episodes..and it got to deep.

People perfer orginals becuase I think thats what they heard first? But I feel that both american and the japanese fit well.

25. Lord of Fire -☠Uchiha_Jinchūriki☠-/MP Of BR

i like it i just diss like the naruto believe it it piss me off

26. cyfar perennial n00b

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape or form a sub snob. /

Personally, I the only problems I have with the DUB are the pronounciation of some of the words (NaROOTOE and ChaRkURA) and the use of "Believe it". Most of the VAs are well respected and have done great dub work on many of my other fave series.

27. Vandal Savage The Magician Supporting Staff

Some people just don't match the parts while others do. There are only a select few voice actors that grate on my nerves in this series since I know many of the VAs have done well in their previous works.

28. ryne11 Bitches n' Whores

He hasn't said it in like 30+ episodes
    He doesn't say it outside D3 games

29. Kakuzu GB Imperator

Watching the Japanese version and then watching the English version will do that to you.

Some of the English voice actors simply do not fit the part that you have in your head after watching the Japanese version.

30. Shirker Life & Hometown

Yeah, I know that feeling. When I saw the Bleach dub, I expected Ichigo to have a voice more similar to Richard Cox's in Inuyasha (don't ask) and his voice ended up higher than expected. The thing is it's simply not something to dwell on, I eventually warmed up to his voice. Same goes Naruto. You'd think after 80+ eps of it, the voices wouldn't be as irksome as some people still insist on making it seem.

*shrugs* maybe that's just me...