1. Stop Scrolling! We changed our address to narutoforums.org

Please add the URL to bookmarks on your PC and phone.

More details can be found here. Feel free to ask any question.
  2. Give your waifu the ultimate gift - being crowned the most popular waifu on NF by helping her win in Senjou’s “NF Waifu Popularity Contest”

Feeling extra confident? You can now bet on your Waifu as well for fun forum prizes here

Come on with everything your waifu does for, you should do this for your waifu.
  3. "Are you a Messi or Ronaldo fanboy? Come and nominate them and more of your favourite players in NF's UEFA Champions League Awards!

If your nominees win, you could win points for cool forum prizes!

Click here to play :) .
  4. ⛄ ❆ Check out the latest Newsletter-December , read it here! ❆ ⛄
  5. It's that time of the year when everyone spreads good and magic things, to enter in the Christmas Spirit full of art HVoA invites you to

✵ Join the NF Christmas Extravaganza ✵
  6. Arcade is hosting " The 2017 Arcade GOTY Awards "

Click here to know more ᵔ.ᵔ .
  7. It's that time again, where a certain lazy rodent refuses to host a wonderful NE-centric game. Come play the 2nd Mafia Game

in the Nigerian Embassy (formally known as the Chatterbox) hosted by the one and only WAD! Test your skills, shitpost like no tomorrow!

...There's a prize if you win.
  8. Greetings and Welcome to the forums! Please we ask you to lose some of your time and take a look at our " Beginners Guide " that contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun around - NF staff

Click here: " Begginers Guide " .

Why Does the .mp3 Format Need to Be Licensed?

Discussion in 'Music Department' started by DemonDragonJ, Oct 13, 2017.

1. DemonDragonJ Rocker

I have used two separate media organizer programs on my computers, Creative Media Source and Media Monkey, and neither of them could encode tracks from audio CD's in .mp3 format without an expensive upgrade, which very much bothers me, since I have always presumed that it was a free format due to being the most ubiquitous audio format in the world. I thankfully found that will allow me to encode .mp3 files in Media Monkey without needing to pay for the upgrade, but it still is annoying that I needed to do that, and I feel that it should not be necessary.

What does everyone else say about this? Why does a fee need to be paid to encode .mp3 files?

2. Mider T VM Rapist

Just use iTunes already. Attempting to "fight their system" isn't going to put a dent in their global company.

3. blakstealth Club Bangerz

Shit, iTunes is dead. It's all about Spotify or Apple music. :nice

5. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Staff

Hearing the difference now isn’t the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses near lossless compression, while MP3 is ‘lossy’. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA – it’s about 12kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don’t want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2006, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. It's ridiculous. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. DemonDragonJ Rocker

I will not use iTunes; they are a tyrannical corporation that abuses its power and forces its users to comply with its draconian policies and practices.

No, it is not; it is the most ubiquitous audio file format in the world.

What are you saying? Analog media degrades over time, but digital media does not, because of how it works; it is stored as bits, not as variable electrical signals. I have been collecting music since 2001 or 2002, and the music that I collected in those years still sounds as good today as it did then, and the music that I collected then sounds as good as music that I collected recently.

Also, .flac is not a very widespread format at this point in time; I do not believe that my digital media player can play .flac files, nor do I have a program that can encode them, and music downloads from Amazon.com, my primary source for music, are in .mp3 format, as well, so I will not switch over to .flac until the format is commonplace and well-supported.

Also, no one here has actually answered my question; why do media organizer programs need a paid upgrade to encode in the most ubiquitous audio format in the world?

7. blakstealth Club Bangerz

I just know its creators terminated its licensing program

8. Esdese Well-Known Member

Digital media does not degrade as far as I know. Digital mp3 files degrading was a debunked myth last I checked. I'm going to assume that was a copy-pasta because I have seen that posted many times.

9. DemonDragonJ Rocker

Why would they do something such as that, when the format is so popular? Will it still be used? If not, what format shall replace it?

10. blakstealth Club Bangerz

11. DemonDragonJ Rocker

12. blakstealth Club Bangerz

Uh, yeah lol. more channels. more flexibility. generally better quality than mp3...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. DemonDragonJ Rocker

I see; but is it as popular and ubiquitous as .mp3?

14. blakstealth Club Bangerz

It's definitely a close second to mp3. The same guys that made mp3 also made AAC. And I don't think you need any licenses for AAC

15. Cindrewrella sunt lacrimae rerum Retired Staff

I only use spotify and youtube for music these days.