1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Why Full Metal Alchemist is the best (Huge Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Fullmetal Alchemist' started by martryn, Nov 16, 2005.

1. martryn Dick in hand

So, I just finished watching Full Metal Alchemist after spending 24 hours DLing it and then every moment of free time in the last three days watching it (hence my absence from the forums). After watching the last episode, I realized that I liked this anime much more than I do Naruto or Bleach or any other anime I have ever seen. And I was thinking about why this is. My conclusion? Read below, but please exit the thread if you are a CN viewer.

Okay. It doesn't pull any blows. That's why. It shows you raw human emotion and is real in doing so. I saw the episode where Nina died and I realized that this anime was different than anything I've seen so far. They killed off a little girl. They killed off Hughes. Scar became a good guy and they killed him too. Hell, in the last episode they "killed" Ed.

Compare this to other animes. Naruto hasn't killed off any of the "main" characters. All twelve genins live through the time skip, despite how dangerous being a ninja is. How do all 12 live? In Bleach, no captains or VC or anyone at all really has died. I don't see how Ichigo can repeatedly slice his opponents to bits and yet none of them die. Its not real.

In FMA, not only did they kill off main characters, but they made you afraid for all the characters' lives. I thought Al was going to bite it so many times, and each time I was just as worried as I was the first time; that is to say, I never became used to the feeling he was about to die. And Ed's sensei, I always thought she was in trouble. Every time she started coughing up blood I just knew she was going to die. And all the officers in the military. I suspected that some of them might die. Hawkeye seemed a likely canidate for some reason, and Havok. And Rose, she seemed primed and ready to go.

Another reason I liked the anime is because all the characters were used. There wasn't any characters that only had one shot at the big time. Rose came back, the brothers, some of the villains from earlier kept reappearing. In fact, the only person who appeared and never made a reappearance was that thief chick who used the playing cards. I didn't read the manga, but was that a filler episode or something? I think there might have been a few... but unlike Bleach and Naruto I could never tell.

And things weren't expected. Certain things happened that you wouldn't expect to happen. Lust turning good. Roy getting shot at the end and still living (when it showed that they weren't afraid to kill off main characters). The British thing through the gate and the fact that it looked as if it would be lame but wasn't at all. The brothers being seperated at the end (which is the saddest part to me). Wrath not dying. The developments with Rose and Ed's father and Dante. The anime kept me guessing on what exactly would happen. There were mysteries, and they weren't like the ones in other animes that are kinda lame and not interesting, these had me at the edge of my seat. When I finished an episode I had trouble not watching the very next episode based on wanting to uncover just a little more of the truth.

Anyway, anyone else want to contribute their own reasons? Maybe speculate on things that happened in the show? Opinions? To me, no other anime I have seen beats this one. And it would be hard for an anime to. I've got high expectations for any future anime I watch now. Maybe when Bleach and Naruto start coming to an end they will start getting serious with their plots and start killing off main characters and stop pulling blows and giving us the expected. Here's to hoping.

Tags:
  2. Lancelot Member

nice job, agree totally, this is one of the best animes ive watched ever :D

gonna rewatch it soon, was a while since i saw it :)

3. XItachiXUchihaX Your Daddy

yes i agree with everythign u have said.. this anime is alot better than other animes.

4. acidzerox On a mission from God...

I concur with everyone else. I haven't finished the series yet, but I have to agree. There aren't a lot of animes that just give you a sense of realism like FMA does. People die left and right. Also, as I understand it, when they get what they are searching for it comes with consequences. I loved the characters in it.

5. blind51de Banned

Wow @ topic creator.

You should really get around to watching more anime. There's more to it then just a senseless shonen action series to watch.
    FMA is good. The filler worked out in the end. But it is way, way, way far from #1 in terms of quality. In fact, Monster alone underminds every paragraph you've typed.

6. SeruraRenge Reaching infinite

Actually, everything after Greed is introduced to Ed and Al is filler.

Here are the main points of the manga, after the anime stopped following it.

Wrath is still there, but King Bradley is Wrath in the manga. Pride, however, is some mysterious person who talks to Wrath quite often.

Hoenheim is the main bad guy in the manga. In fact, he created all the Homunculus.

Homunculi all have a Philosopher's Stone in their chest as a source of their immortality. Also, Homunculi no longer have that really lame weakness to their old body. In the manga, the only way to truly destroy them is to kill them until their Philosopher's Stone is completely drained of energy.

Greed, instead of losing to Ed, gets totally owned by Bradley/Wrath's swordsmanship in the sewers that they used to escape from the Devil Nest Bar. He is then brought to Hoenheim, who lowers Greed into boiling lead, waits until he is dead, extracts that liquid that used to be Greed, then drinks him out of a wine glass.

Winry's parents were not killed by Roy in the manga. Scar did it.

Scar, even to this very chapter, is still bent on killing all alchemists.

The story introduces a new character, Ling. He is the prince of Xing, which is the country to the east. Also, the manga actually says what the name of Ed's country is. They live in a country called Amestris.

Tucker is killed by Scar in his home right after he is placed under house arrest for turning Nina into a chimaera. Here is are links as proof (sorry, Nina is still killed by Scar)
    Page 1
    Page 2

Envy's true form is completely different in the manga. In the anime, his true form is Hoenheim's first son. However, in the manga, this is his true form.

There is much more, but I can't be expected to remember all of it.

7. BooYah i love you all..MUAH! xD

never watched any of its episodes..is it really that good? lol coz i just like anime with cute boys..bwahahaha xD ^^

8. SeruraRenge Reaching infinite

then you won't be disappointed. Especially when you meet Col. Roy Mustang.

You will get down on your knees and "worship" him.

9. funjat Where to from here Adventure?

FMA has one of better endings in all of the anime I've watched so far. That had great appeal to me, cause I like endings more than beginnings. Also 50 eps was ideal for this anime: the plot moved a the right pace.

Another thing was that I related to it more than most animes: like you said raw human emotions.

10. UnnamedShinobi Hand of Justice

Yes this anime is great just becuse they're not afraid to shock the viewers with f?r example the killing of a main character.. that makes it so much more exciting to watch becuse you never really know what is going to happen. I also agree that it's much more emotional than Bleach and Naruto. (Thinks back on the nina killing. :sad )

11. kawaii.sasuke koi o shiteru 帰る

I really loved this anime too becauase I've seen a lot of emotion in the episodes all the way through, either serious or funny. It also talked about the relations through brotherhood, family and friends. What I loved in episode three was that they went through Ed and Al's age each time until it got to the unfortunate parts.
    I could even relate this to my own life, and there are a lot of relations so it really touched me ^^.

12. Soul Fang Phenomenon

Couldn't agree more. FMA rocks but Monster defined a new class of anime.

13. RodMack Spiral Arrow

FMA is an anime that just has something Naruto or Bleach don't have, which, and i totally agree with, is raw human emotion.

14. Bender Bite my shiny metal ass!

I completely agree with everyone who said FMA displays emotion.What really interested me in this anime is the Animation as well as the plot.It also was mcuh different from the casual anime of "beat the badguys once and for all" which really appealed to me.Also the way they killed off main characters really easily.However, I was left speechless when the Homunculi entered the scene with their wanting to become Human and their abilities. FMA's definition of Humanism in the anime really touched me as well. To be honest this has got to be my No.1 fav Anime aside.

15. UnbrokenSpirit Silent Sentinel

Well, I agree that the death of main characters really impacts the viewer and make the anime much more memorable, which is why the ending of this one blew me away. Naruto does have some sad moments, but the only time they killed a somewhat important character, Gaara, they revived him. Zabuza's and Haku's deaths made me instatly fall in love with their characters becasue as soon as I saw it, it made me realize how much I liked the characters.

Heh, when Mustang was laying on the ground, my heart was almost coming out of my mouth, and also when Al was struck by the right hand of destruction and had half his body blown to bits.

I abosolutly love when this feature shows up in animes, especially when they do a good job linking events, places and characters together. I would've never thought that the Philosopher's Stone would be created in Lior. I thought Lior was over and done, no more Roze ever, or Lyra(sp?). I mean they were no more important that Psiren in their respective episodes. I thought it was simply genious to make Lior such an important place right by the end of the series.

In Naruto, for example, I loved how they linked Morino Idate and Morino Ibiki together and explained what happened in the past between them. After the Chuunin exam I never thought I'd ever see Ibiki again, he was just some dude with a one shot at the anime kind of thing. Also, the encounter of Zabuza and Haku, and Kimimaro. And the how they made Kabuto so imprtant, after the Chuunin exams, I thought he was just some dude who could barely fight.

Well, here's my addition, after the show was over I pondered on why I liked the show so much as to even buy the DVD's and other merchandises. What captivated me was the strong bond between Al and Ed. My god, those two boys go through thick and thin together, wherever they go. They are always helping each other out and they are willing to give up their lives to protect each other. When they are separated at the end, I can't help but to remember episode 3.

Ed: Also.... I don't want to lose you too.
    Al: I never want to be separated from you.

and their mother: Use that, cooperate and live together.

Then at the end of ep. 51 they still play the song, Brat'ja, and all that together is enough to make me cry for a year. :cry

Another quote I like that ephasizes their relationship is, "He must have attempet the transmutation desperatly. That's why the bond between those two brothers is strong." - Roy to Armstrong

And that's about it. :amuse

16. clysta peem!!!

i agree with everyone. i love how they make everything in FMA with emotions. in all the other anime that ive seen most never do that. plus in my opinion it never gets old. they dont have it follow a path and somethings that happen i never could have guessed would happen, like when ed "died" or al being the stone. its great!

17. UnbrokenSpirit Silent Sentinel

Another reason why it's a good show is that it's a small series, and it should be since it revolves mostly about Ed and Al. Take Naruto for example, the show Naruto revolves mostly around Naruto and how he changes the world around him with his great personality. That's all well and dandy but by streching the show so much things start to get too repetitive. Also, the character tend to get stronger and te battles become too exaggerated. This is where FMA shines, since it's a small series you don't see thing repeating itself and you don't see the characters power growing beyond imagination. It makes the series more "down to earth" and I do believe that even fantasy shows have the obligation of having some sense of pragmatism. FMA takes the prize in that area, since it's so well balance in regards to reality and fantasy. :amuse

18. fr33dom Hagane

Read the manga, and then the anime will become one of the gayest things you've ever watched.

19. TheVileOne Peace Loving-nin

Fullmetal Alchemist was just a brilliant and excellent story. There's just something there that elevates it above your average, typical anime series. Its a very emotional series, it incites a lot of strong feelings out of you. The orchestral music is so beautiful and big. You just get the feeling you are watching something deep and important.

The series to me is about the harshness of reality and the real world. How life can be very cruel sometimes, but as human beings we try to become strong from these events and like Edward says, keep moving forward. The story is very dark and dreary at times, but overall there is an optimistic tone, that deep down we are truly good and we will continue to strive for greatness.

20. UnbrokenSpirit Silent Sentinel

I do read the manga, and it does not diminish my love for the anime whatsoever. I don't think the manga is as good as the anime, and it does have some poor drawings but it's still much fun.

21. Taxman Rail Tracer Supporting Staff

I like the manga and anime equally...the anime, however, presents the emotion a lot better with the soundtrack. The manga is a nice set to read considering it is completely different and a bit more satisfactory when it comes to different storylines, but it in no way diminished the anime after reading it.

22. rockstar sin F

Me and my homies really loved the FMA series but after the last episode it left a bitter taste in my mouth. Like WTF is that how it ends and i started to break shit all around my house. Did any one here watch the movie maybe that would fill that missing void i had.

23. Taxman Rail Tracer Supporting Staff

Yes...the movie fills the void of the ending of the series since the movie is two years later and nicely ends the series.

24. rockstar sin F

Do you know where i can dl the movie?

25. TheVileOne Peace Loving-nin

You may want to check around the FMA sub-forum ;) .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  26. guiltyspark7750 Saya's Chevalier

I'm fairly new to anime and FMA was the first one that I watched as a series. Besides the outershell of the very tightly written story, the years and years of catholic school teachings finally have come to use and it made the story even more powerful for me. The fact that they would go into as much detail as to have ouroboros surrounded by the seal of solomon for example and mark it on the sins was pure genius...and I found it very interesting that they modeled the gate after Le port de l'enfer, and on top of that...finding the eye...the eye so prominently drawn by schizophrenic patients...commonly used to see if a patient truly is psychotic.....all very very interesting, I could go indepth, but math is calling me ( I hate strong and weak induction oh so very much!)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  27. TheVileOne Peace Loving-nin

Very interesting guilty spark.

28. Taxman Rail Tracer Supporting Staff

yes...that is rather interesting....I really didn't see it like that...especially the schizophrenic part.

29. guiltyspark7750 Saya's Chevalier

*nods* well the belief by most psychiatrists is such that everyone has the concept of the one ever watchful eye (lord of the rings for example) that's buried deep within the subconcious and that schizophrenic patients have gone that far within the subconscious and have come to its realization. as far for the other parts of the series, ie, Ouroboros, which directly correlates with alchemy, if you're familiar with Carl Jung you'll like this,

Jung also defined the relationship of the ouruboros to alchemy:

"The alchemists, who in their own way knew more about the nature of the individuation process than we moderns do, expressed this paradox through the symbol of the uroboros, the snake that eats its own tail. In the age-old image of the uroboros lies the thought of devouring oneself and turning oneself into a circulatory process, for it was clear to the more astute alchemists that the prima materia of the art was man himself. The uroboros is a dramatic symbol for the integration and assimilation of the opposite, i.e. of the shadow. This 'feed-back' process is at the same time a symbol of immortality, since it is said of the uroboros that he slays himself and brings himself to life, fertilises himself and gives birth to himself. He symbolises the One, who proceeds from the clash of opposites, and he therefore constitutes the secret of the prima materia which [...] unquestionably stems from man's unconscious'. (Collected Works, Vol. 14 para.513)

ever wonder why Ed and Izumi clap? it's because it makes a circle when there hands connect to eachother, ie, circular power of alchemy manifested with the body, the body becomes the alchemic circle, and hence ouroboros and its circulating power and forever destroying and recreating itself.

I wrote a small bit about it in wikipedia: ""Homunculi represent the seven deadly sins in the series and which were created by various alchemists in the attempt to bring humans back to life. This reflects an outstanding similiarity to Jung's belief of Ouroboros as an archetype of death and rebirth, as the Homunculi themselves are reborn humans made by alchemists. It is also interesting to note that Homunculi have a tendency to come back to life after being killed, and furthermore bring about their own demise, thus a snake biting its own tail and recreating themselves. The tatoo itself has some special abilities as well when touched by an alchemist. On a related subject, all alchemists in the series use Alchemy arrays which are circular designs (again circulating power as a tenet of both the symbol of Ouroboros and Alchemy itself within the series). Some alchemists however, have the ability to clap their hands together thus forming a circle with their body and arms, once again manifesting the power of Alchemy through circulating power."

other things that make this anime so great, besides having the characters created is the most important and most hidden archetype of them all, the feminine and masculin spirit. Some say it was yin and yang and the balance of the universe, darkside and lightside, but almost all stories have a dilemma because there is an unbalance between the feminine and masculine spirit. Throughout the entire series, the feminine spirit controls everything, the character manifested as the spirit is Dante. as she adequately put, she isn't human, she's a concept, a soul, a spirit that moves from body to body forever trying to dominate the masculine spirit as futile as it might be since neither can destroy the other, but such is their nature. And here she has dominated Ed, Al, Envy, Wrath, and Hoenheim, all interrelated, the first 3 all being some kind of brother to eachother. (envy is the step brother, wrath is the honorary brother, since Izumi plays the mother role for the Elrics) and hoenheim the father. and the last final episode, where all of the brothers and father are under her control, when all hope seems lost, Al, the complacent brother, and litterally the only with only a soul, stands up and screams at Dante to leave him alone. Al is the masculine spirit and he restores balance to the universe. He undoes what Dante has done and he and dante dissipate as their spiritual form, despite the fact that neither could kill the other (ever wonder why neither tried?) . haha it's a stretch, but that's how I see it, I very much doubt the makers had all that in mind, but that's what I got out of it.

30. martryn Dick in hand

Wow, awesome. I read that wikipedia page too (I love wikipedia).

And I would also like to second the manga series. I've been slowly reading it over the last couple of weeks and it has been both different and refreshing. It really is a great manga.