1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We want YOU the community to help contribute to the new Spiral Rep titles!

Please, check this thread.

Dismiss Notice
  5. My fellow ningen! It's time for another Dragon Ball Banner Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  6. [​IMG]

We are going to give one month of coloured usernames to a couple of NF users.

Please, check NFs Valentine's Day Event

Dismiss Notice

7. Give NF the love she deserves! Join the NF-chan drawing contest and draw NF as NF-chan now!
    Earn some prizes... and maybe hugs and kisses from the forum herself?!
    CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Why HxH is the peak of the top?

Discussion in 'Hunter x Hunter' started by Keishin, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Keishin Well-Known Member

The Cream of the Crop​

Here we have gathered today to understand the minimum requirements to become something that only Togashi can be. Something that only the best of the best of the best can be.

Crazy off the walls writing you can expect from the Best?
    Without You chapter.

Intense chapters?
    Halkenburg face-off with King Nasubi.

Crazy shounen powers presented in an original way?
    Spoiler:

Fantastic artwork?

Amazing plot twists?

The ability to think outside of the box in order to write events unlike other mangaka.
    Spoiler:

Only the Best has the skills to write a story so that it makes the readers uneasy about the choices and actions that all of the characters make. It's not about a hero powering up with a dark power like any other shounen that made Gon and Pitou moments so great. The plot subtly changes constantly and foreshadows really cleverlay the next changes without getting stuck to a certain mold. It's strong substance over just doing shit.
    Spoiler:

The ability to bring true stakes to the story instead of just hyping it up with some bs like fights, give a pitiful red herring n shit that the good guy will get wrecked like Frieza on Namek. That's not what mangaka are able to really do. But one man is.

Complexity, multilayered characters, dialogue and events? Who is able to create characters like no other?
    Togashi.

Tags:
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Intus Legere ̣#TeamHisoka

I only disagree with the choice for "fantastic artwork". At least 2 panels of those you posted were much better in my opinion (Halkenburg confronting Nasubi, Tserriednich's beasts, maybe even Camilla and the Million Lives Cat).

I'm not sure HxH is the best manga ever in those aspects you posted since I've only read 30 or so mangas, but it is by far the one I enjoyed the most in all those years.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Ye Xiu Best Member

overwhelming the reader with the sheer number of characters isn't smart writing

4. Keishin Well-Known Member

When it comes to handling of events professionally with some complexity and multi layered nature where things move AND change the plot at the same time all the time instead of linear progression like every other shounen does (super boring) I literally can't think of many other series that come close to it. Even Urasawa can't do it like that (but his presentation in writing is another level).

it has as many characters as is required for the content...

5. Intus Legere ̣#TeamHisoka

I don't feel overwhelmed at all. As long as these characters do their part, it's okay by me -- and so far, it's too early to judge. Chimera Ant arc also had an overwhelming number of characters, and in the end it's a well told story if you ask me.

The only thing I really dislike about Hunter x Hunter lately is the amount of seemingly pointless information. However there is of information that is RELEVANT and yet people who don't really keep up with the manga accuse of being irrelevant.

6. Yasha Procreate

Japan
    It's not the best manga ever (that title goes to Slam Dunk as far as I'm concerned), but it certainly has some of the most interesting storylines and most complex characters.

7. Extravlad Well-Known Member

France
    The world he's created and the story he's written has outgrown the initial storyline and protagonists.
    Gon,Killua,Kurapika and Leorio are of no relevance when it comes to why I like HxH and if Togashi wrote them out of the story to focus on something else I'd still be interested.

I don't like stories where one or two characters are the center of the universe and everything that goes down in the story is either their doing or directly related to them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Wolfgang Grimmer Magnificent Steiner

as far as self contained manga goes, my best is akira (inoue's and urasawa's mangas are up there too)
    it's much harder to tell for long running mangas

9. PrazzyP HxH is life

Maybe because you are a plebeian whose sub 100 IQ can't fathom the complexity of this manga

10. PrazzyP HxH is life

Wow i go negged for my last post :((( -6000 points OUCH

11. Kaaant Well-Known Member

Case in point the main character never even met the most powerful enemy in the series thus far, let alone beat him.

12. Keishin Well-Known Member

In the same arc we had fantastic cases of character writing, e.g. Knov's mental breakdown:

13. Intus Legere ̣#TeamHisoka

Well, depending on your definition of "met", Gon did meet Meruem.

14. Kaaant Well-Known Member

Everything beside the art is top notch and what the art lacks in consistency it makes up for in raw intensity (think Hisoka's first bloodlust face Island exam)

That said, the things i appreciate the most are:

* almost no Shonen power creep. The nen system allows for conditionally op characters while still maintaining a ceiling roughly around early characters like illumi or Hisoka
    * plots having characters aside from the mc playing from their unique motivations. Even if they don't always amount to anything I enjoyed the spiders on Greed island or the palace scheming in cell saga
    * non powerlevel based magic. Some if the most badass powers are centered around total weaklings (perfect plan, future girl, ...)

16. KidTony Top Waifu

Everything except the "fantastic artwork" is on point. I mean, you're really stretching it there bruh :tupac

17. Dr. White I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.

Germany
    Catdank Faction:
    He's actually a beast when he tries. That scene with Halk and his dad is really well drawn, and Togashi is a master at setting a mood and expressions.

That being said shit is no where near consistent :tupac

18. Wolfgang Grimmer Magnificent Steiner