1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

5. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

6. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is everyone okay with what Shoto's mom did?

Discussion in 'My Hero Academia' started by Luiz, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Luiz Well-Known Member

Nobody condemns her for pouring hot water on Shoto's face and she doesn't seem to feel guilty either. Or maybe she does, but I'm at episode 3x2 and I haven't seen any signs of that yet.

Anyhow, I must ask: How do her feelings work as justification? "I was in an abusive relationship, so I took it out on my child because he looks like his dad". Perfectly natural reaction.

Unless she is completely insane and can't even tell you what year it is, she should be held at least partially responsible.

Even if she isn't responsible somehow, she should at least feel bad about it.

If you trip over a rock and dump hot water on someone, you still apologize, don't you? Because even though it was an accident, you still were the one who did it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Ultimately its not okay, however it becomes harder to hate someone when you can empathize with them. Spousal abuse is horrible and that is a real evil that a lot of people might have seen or went through. The kids don't blame her, they blame Endeavor, but that is their bias.

3. Luiz Well-Known Member

I can understand that, but shouldn't she feel bad about it? I don't know any (good) mother that wouldn't.

From what I've seen so far, Shoto visited her in the hospital and they had a good time like nothing happened.

4. Djomla Student

Woman's a bitch.

5. Xiammes Into Free Supporting Staff

Shouto has visited her a lot, we don't know what they talk about, we don't know if she apologized or not. I assume Shouto wouldn't bring up the past himself since he just wants to move forward and bringing up anything about Endeavor might trigger a set back.

Some minor spoilers since you seem to watching the anime, not super major but this won't be covered for awhile.

Spoiler:

Endeavor has come to visit Rei(Shouto's mom), the doctors don't think its a good thing for them to meet in person as it might trigger something, but they talked through the door and she talked a bit about Endeavor to her other two kids about the meeting. I can only assume she has apologized to Shouto at this point.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. KOBA235 Well-Known Member

Well she was put into mental hospital for a reason, she clearly didn't control herself.
    Same with sense of guilt, she is properly treated, so it doesn't torment her as much.

7. Sequester Lacking in Luster

8. lol 4th dimension reiatsu Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, Rei in some form mirrors Endeavor. Or, at the very least, it's a chain reaction.

Endeavor tried everything in his own personal power to become the number 1 hero, but no matter what he did, he couldn't manage to close the gap. As long as All Might existed, he'd forever be the number 2. And nobody would look at him in the way they looked at All Might. He'd never be able to escape this fate.

This caused him despair, and in that time of despair, his heart became twisted, and caused him to go down a terrible, unforgivable path.

To a lesser extent, the same thing happened to Rei. The marriage was in such shambles and the relationships with her children and husband had become so bad, that she fell into despair. She mentally broke down because she couldn't do anything about this fate. Just as Endeavor had no power to overcome his obstacles, the same could be said for Rei. Eventually, she snapped just as Endeavor did, and as a result, she harmed Shouto.

And if it weren't for Deku, then Shouto might've ended up the same. Never being able to escape the hatred he had for his father, becoming a bitter and empty shell of a human being. Who knows what he might've done in the future, he could've carried on that despair.

10. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

Just my 2cents but I believe many people don't hate her because simply she is a female. One look at Endeavor as an Alpha Male and automatically assumes he is the person in the wrong. She is in a fukin mental institution which is pretty much all that needs to be said on her part. Useless mother.

Now, I also just want to lay out a general thing that Japanese people or at least Japanese culture seems to do a lot of forgiving and forgetting of past deeds. I mean Todo got his face burned and scarred but Sasuke literally tried to kill Sakura multiple times with killer intent and they ended up getting married. Goku & Vegeta are best of friends and their relationship started when they were about to kill one another. Vegeta even killed some of Goku's friends and Goku treats Vegeta a lot better than say Tien or Yamcha who have stuck by his side since they were kids.
    Even Deku got a complex and loser mentality by being with Baku which many people would say ruined his self esteem and childhood which is odd that he considers him to be his best friend so that is laughable.

I think this manga as a whole and many Shounen types just don't take things that happened in the past as the end all be all unless there is some really strict plot the author has to convey (i.e. Shikamaru's revenge)

Edit: Okay! I forgot to add one more thing since it isn't a fair-fair comparison between blood family and best friends. Nobody says shi when Goku pushed Gohan to keep fighting and was really harsh on him with training and a few times even tried to get him close to death to "unleash" his power. Really shit father if you ask me. But everyone doesn't mind because it was for a "goal" and that goal was to save the Earth. Why is it when Endeavor does the same thing that everyone is angry with him? Again, it is just the way Endeavor is portrayed. Goku is charismatic and likable and so nobody says they basically did the same bad childhood training by pushing their children to be something they are not.
    Sort of how if a good looking guy says something to flirt it is considered sexy but an ugly looking guy says the same thing it is seen as misogynistic and gross.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  11. Sequester Lacking in Luster

I initially misunderstood what Endeavor meant when he said "She burned your face, so I put her in the hospital."

A mental institution wasnt the first thing that came to mind.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Ignition Matarah Sukha

Hmm makes me wonder what sort of reaction did she have towards Touya who ended up with the red hair and blue eyes.

13. Yoshua #1 Kale Fan

INB4 Rei also burned Dabi too, and Dabi hates Rei but likes Endeavor. :maybe

• Deku x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    I think she does have few screws lose and no I am not okay with it, she still hurt her own son and thats that.

As for in universe, not much is shown about her for us to know.

15. Courier Six Patrolling the mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

Flag:
    Egypt, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Serbia, Russia, Portugal, Germany, France, England, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Australia, Panama, Mexico, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Senegal, Nigeria, Morocco, Sokovia, Poland, Iceland, Barbados, Canada, China, United States, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Tobago
    Catdank Faction:
    That'll break Tumblr.

16. Ignition Matarah Sukha

Nah I think he hates both, maybe Shouto too for being the masterpiece?

17. MrCinos Student of Despair

I assume because Rei is much of a victim as the kids, not being able to retaliate or cope with Endeavour's behavior. Also idk if you can blame mentally ill person the same way you can a healthy (Endeavour) one. She clearly loved Shouto back then too, too bad mental issues were taking over her and not even parents helped her.

Doesn't excuse her completely, but compared to Endeavour she's a saint given she's ill and wasn't doing abuse in a cold calculating way.

18. Luiz Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why "I'll never forgive you" is such a serious line in anime. If a character says that in a Japanese series, you know shit just got real.

19. Milliardo G.L.P.

I would go with this. She was mentally unstable so obviously people won't greatly fault her.

20. Luiz Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  21. Tayimus Number One

Goddammit, I laughed so hard, I started drooling.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  22. overlordpringerx Well-Known Member

Nobody thinks what she did was alright. But they understand that she did it while having a complete and utter breakdown. Endeavor was horrible because of completely selfish reasons

23. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    i can understand but she is still :pathetic

24. Roman Chariot

Well, she is in a mental institute which implies she doesn't really have control of herself. That doesn't make it ok at all but it makes it easier to forgive her considering what Endeavor put her through.

25. Aros001 Member

I think the difference in motivation is a big factor.

Endeavor: abused his family out of his obsessive desire to somehow surpass All Might.

Rei (the mother): hurt Todoroki because she suffered a mental breakdown due to all the abuse from her husband.

Both are bad, but one was doing it out of selfishness and envy while the other did it because she snapped from all she was being put through. We can empathize a lot more with Rei for how she got to that point of hurting her son and thus we don't blame her as harshly. Not to mention we are seeing the majority of this particular storyline through Todoroki's eyes, whom doesn't seem to blame his mother at all for what happened, only his father. Naturally we're going to have a similar viewpoint to what we're being shown.

Also, and this is the cynic in me talking, given how many people online accused the author of being an "abuse excuser" simply because he's been giving Endeavor character development, I can only imagine how much people would freak and accuse him of saying all the abuse she suffered was her fault if she apologized to her son for what happened (because the internet kind of reacts explosively to everything; the less context, the better, like with Hydra Cap).

26. pumkin1988 Well-Known Member

>implying Endeavor didn't see the downfall of AM and just wanted to protect Japan but knew he couldn't so had a son for the future of humanity
    >implying his wife wasn't batshit crazy when they first met AND BECAUSE OF HER he became angry, jaded and has PTSD
    For all we know his wife was probably going to hurt the other kids. You don't stay in a mental institution for years without reason. Plus, who do you think pays the bills on that? Surely she doesn't. Endeavor is just a nice and humble family man. No clue what everyone here is talking about.

27. Milliardo G.L.P.

28. Haruka Katana

Japan
    Catdank Faction:
    PLUS ULTRA understand :cat

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  29. Superman Well-Known Member

30. asdfg55544 New Member