1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Why is there a thread for WWE in the Sports Section ?

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by Mr. Black Leg, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

Basically, the title.

It isn't a sport.

I am not saying it doesn't require crazy amounts of athleticism and physicallity, but something that is scripted is, by definition without an element of competition, which is basic rule one for us to call something a sport. It doesn't meet the basic requirement. I mean, if we say WWE is a sport, then we'd have to call Jackie Chan's (Or any other martial arts movies) movies a sport too. Therefore, any and all WWE threads should never go to a sports section, because that is, by definition, not in the right place, not to mention that there is actual sports wrestling and this could be confusing as fuck.

More evidence there shouldn't be a thread in this section to talk about WWE:

A WWE thread in a sports section is an absurd.

Tags:
  2. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

Why does Texas Hold'Em come on ESPN? Why is NASCAR apart of Fox Sports?

3. Shirker Life & Hometown

As a person that is over the hill with WWE and hasn't given much of a shit about it or the fuckers running it for a while now, this strikes me as a silly and somewhat loaded question. It doesn't really matter all that much to be honest.

Then again, I've no qualms about it moving to the TV section since it's lost all real semblance of even being a Pro Wrestling show and is more of a variety show nowadays. But I'll just say this... if it needs to move, MMA and boxing probably should too. Aside from the cultures being more or less the same, the former's even less of a sport than pro wrestling is if the stuff I've been hearing about UFC is anything to go by.

4. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

I don't know what this is.

Because ... It is a sport ? You seem to be getting the idea that I said that Sports need athleticism and that WWE doesn't have it. This is neither the point here, nor the definition of what constitutes a Sport generally have this as an acquisition. Also, I explicitly said that WWE has a lot of athleticism going on. But it is more of an artistic performance than it is a fight, anything that is reharsed and has it's final results being written isn't a Sport because, of course, it doesn't have an element of competition.

If " having corruption problems " disquallified the entirety of sports, there'd be no sports.

5. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

You don't know what Poker is?
    Driving in circles isn't anymore of a sport than walking in circles is.

If men and women can compete on equal grounds then it isn't a sport, it's a game.

6. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

It has competition in it ? Answer is yes. Yeah, it's a sport.

WWE has competition ? No, it is scripted and rehearsed. It's not a sport.

And I don't know about " walking in circles ", but running certainly is a sport. You know, the one that Usain Bolt takes part in ?

Now that is certainly some next level sexist bullshit. Who said you that, Ann Coulter ?

Oh, okay. Say " Poker " then, not " Texas Hold'Em ".

And as far as I know, Poker has an element of luck designed into the game. It is, by definition, not a sport.

So what ? ESPN has a show about something that is not a sport, what, is ESPN the ultimate decider of what is and what isn't a sport ?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

Games also have competition yet they aren't sport. Hell Game THEORY explains competition.
    Yeah because it's an athletic competition where men and women are separate.
    It's true. Men and women are biologically different, having them compete on the same plane takes away the "fair competition from the sport".
    Texas Hold'em is a Poker game:facepalm. The rest of your post doesn't even need to be addressed if you don't understand Poker.

8. Rukia Kobe Loyalist

It’s an active thread with a lot of member participation. And there is no better section to put it in.

9. Shirker Life & Hometown

Defeatist answers. Funny, I see those in wrestling too.... *bitter sigh* :sadpanda

Regardless, that's not even it's only issue. The problem is that said corruption as well as the fans that patronize it and what they want to see directly fucks with the very competitive nature it pretends to tout; how the show is run, how matches are put together, etc. afaik, in no other sport does this happen to the severe degree it does in combat sports. Sport is almost entirely removed in favor of aesthetics. That's just wrestling.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  10. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

What I don't understand about Poker ? The name Texas Hold'em ? Well, of course, I'm not from the US, how could I know what " Texas Hold'em " stands for ? Sure if I use Portuguese terms, you won't understand it either. I do know how to play poker and it's not a sport because it has an element of luck (Luck, chance, probability, etc) . I don't know why you brought it up in the first place.

Did you even read the OP ? I didn't say " Sports have competition, that's all ". I put two different sources' definition of Sports, and one thing in common is that it has to have always have an element of competition.

Your points so far are " LOL GAMES HAVE COMPETITION TOO " and " YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TEXAS HOLD'EM IS ? YOU'RE SO DUMB ".

Atlhetics don't define sports. See " Mind Sports ". The definition of sports is not tied to " being somewhat athletic " . So yeah, in mind sports and in sports where athletics don't play a huge part, it is totally ok to have women and men competing.

I know that, but not every sport needs that differentiation. Chess is an example of that. You could be a 1,90 m guy playing a 1,57 girl and it doesn't matter.

All of this and you didn't come up with one reason to support that WWE should be in a Sports section.

There are mandatory challenges/mandatory title defenses, and there is a structure in both of them, of course it is designed to be fan-commanded mostly, but it isn't scripted. Triple G and Canelo didn't agree beforehand what would go down. Because of the very nature of the sport, it is basically impossible to have a tournament happen in the time frame of, I don't know, 60 days. By the end of it, everyone would be throwing punches like they are dying.

And up until now the only response that addressed the title of the thread was:

Which I disagree, it should be in the Television section. It isn't a Sport, it's more of an Art and Entertainment that involve Athletics than it is a Sport. I mean, we don't put Cobra Kai here in this section. Why should we put WWE ?

11. Jesse On a forums break

Wrestling is a sport itself. WWE is a brand based on a sport.

12. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

Yes.

What WWE does is not a sport.

I'd be glad to go to a wrestling thread and discuss greco-roman or free style wrestling and talk about real wrestlers like Davit Chakvetadze. I'm not too knowledgeable about it myself, but I sure as hell would like to know more.

13. Jesse On a forums break

I didnt disagree with your statement . That depends on mods where they want in the end.

I stopped WWE long back .

14. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

Who is the mod of this section do you know ? We could ask him/her.

15. Jesse On a forums break

I dunno message @Rinoa She might help u out.

16. Djomla Student

When you think about WWE you think about wrestling and when you think about wrestling you think about sports.

Also, we are all above 3 years old dude, and we know it is not real sport.

17. Rinoa Administrator

Hi,
    @Nemesis is the section mod.:blobhide

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

So, a dim connection, is what makes WWE into the Sports section ?

That's kinda my point you're making there. We all know that WWE should be in Konoha Theatre. So, why is it not ?

Thank you, sorry for the inconvenience.

19. Azeruth Moderator

20. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

Literally, the definition of Sports entertainment is all about not being a Sport.

21. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

The WORLD series of Poker plays Texas Hold'Em. It's not American term it's the name of the game. Similar to Mancala or Mahjong being the name of the game worldwide.
    Not real sports.
    Chess is a game.

22. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

So ... ? I really don't get the big deal you're making out of me not knowing the name of style of Poker. It's not like I said I'm a Poker fanatic, I just know how to play and play really bad. Truco is way more up in my alley.

" BECAUSE I SAY SO " .

Also is a sport.

23. Mider T Busting in and out of guts

You're out of your element here. You shouldn't complain about why certain things are considered sports if you don't know what are sports and what are games to begin with.

24. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

I literally offered two definitions in the OP no less.

And yes, chess is a sport. It is also a game. But it is a mind sport.

25. Nemesis The Sith Lord Moderator

Honestly there are times I actually asked myself the same question before I became a mod a few times over the years since technically it isn't a sport.

But I do feel it's best to be placed in here and not in the TV/Film areas down to the fact that professional wrestling does itself tend to be shown on Sports channels. In the UK it's been on Sky Sports since there's been a Sky Sports. In the US one of the main shows is going to be on Fox sports by the end of the year. Plus in many forums I have frequented over the years Professional wrestling does find itself stationed in the sports section. Ergo while technically it isn't a sport in of itself. It does present itself as one, media puts it in the sport sections of news and channels often enough and most forums keep it in their sport section so it seems appropriate for here.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  26. Mr. Black Leg The Ordeal of Love

So, it's matter of convetion, I see ? And I guess that WWE fans would be more likely to search for a WWE thread in here than elsewhere and that's the reason why it is kept here ? Ok. I don't think it's ideal, but that works for me.

I have an itch for categorization, correction and putting things (Not physical things, because I'm a mess in my household, my bedroom when I'm not feeling like organizing it turns into something like Post-WWII Germany) in their right place that is unbelievable. I'm not one that likes to misuse a word to the point where it's original meaning is lost, specially when they come from scientific backgrounds, like using words " trigger " for everything, using the expression " freudian slip " when it's not one, saying you have PTSD because you had a nightmare, etc, but I might have OCD with this stuff. Once in a bakery I went to talk to the manager to let him know that the menu had some huge mispellings, I don't remember them all, but one of them was the " Petit gâteau " was written " Petit gato ". Gato means cat in Portuguese.

Well, sorry to bother you, you may close the thread.

27. Nemesis The Sith Lord Moderator

Firstly no need to apologize. Wasn't bothered in the slightest. Just new as a mod so still getting to grips with things and as I said before I have in the past wrestled (pun not intended) with the same thought. Oh and don't worry about the itch for categorization, correction and putting things in their right place. If I showed you my gaming/dvd/book cabinet or worse chairs in the cafe where I work you'd know how I need to have everything in the right place. One thing out of place and it needs to be all fixed immediately.

But going to close thread anyway on request of OP and question being answered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.