1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

why is there religion?

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Hakuzo, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Hakuzo

why is there religion? i think its b/c if there's nothing to believe in then there's nothing to live for.

Tags:
  2. MrGiggles

Religion is basically the science of ancient times. Think about it, when humans couldn't figure out why something was we made up reasons why. For example, Greek mythology believed that natural disasters were actually evil creatures called Titans that came from the underworld to wreak havoc. Then also there were the gods who kept the Titans in line. Lightning was thought to be Zues XD
    So yeah the greeks worshipped natural disasters

If you don't have religion to believe in it isn't the end of all.

3. onlinedevil

True, religion keeps believes in people's minds, so they could live on. But what about athiest? If they don't believe in anything, and they can live, then what is their life force? Actually, athiest IS a religion. It's a religion that does not believe in any other religion, and is allowed to do anything other than that.
    Then, where's my point? Why IS there religion? Religion is not really just a believe for people, but it gives the power to people to continue life or some other jobs. Believes=power
    Believes come from anything, and anything could be a religion

4. GaaraOfTheDesert

I'm an athe?st, I don't believe in God, but i still live a happy life. It's not athe?sm that's wrong, why should one believe in a God to be happy, i believe in myself and I'm happy, I don't need anybody else for me to do that.

Nihilists are people who believe in nothing (well thats what they say, off course they believe in something, nihilism for example)

5. whiteguy

religon gives people something to fight for

6. Totesmetall

So those who dont have a strong enough grasp of how else to live can have somthing exciting to live for.

7. Hakuzo

i see all of ur points. thoughs who dont believe in a God they have a belief in somethingelse. like in a idol or a parent. i'm glad this thread is doing well. i like to learn about other people's opinion, it makes me feel like i'm becoming stronger w/ every person to talk to.thanks.

8. Beldin

Religion is a very easy outlet for people to give meaning to time. I am no one to judge whether a certain religion is true or not. But I do know that for the people that pratice and believe in a religion it gives them great meaning. Others like me have other things to fill this need. I do believe in a God, or a higher being, but I do not go to a church or practice a religion. I am content in the way I live my life and a religion does nothing for me. You must simply do what makes you happy, or what you believe in, in this life.

9. Netorie

religion is something that ppl have so they can fight for what they believe in...i say...if u have a religion...and someone else has a different one...let it go. it's their own thing...so dont argue with then whats real and whats not.

10. TDW

Religion was used to bring order to chaos. If you believed that there was no point in anything then people would just run a muck. If you believed that if you were good then you would go to a good place after you died, if you were bad, you would go somewhere horrible. So it kept people in line at one point in time.
    Now I think it just causes havoc and we as humans should just strive to better ourselves and realise the pointlessness of such trivial things. Sry, rambling.

11. darkspark

an old way of setting rules. "oh, i shouldn't kill because... oh, heck, there's no reason not to!!!!" now we have a legal system, but before that was in place, the church's ideas were the legal system. (now they have to loosen up... c'mon guys, let go... you're not listening to what the good book says, you're making up interpretations, just let it go...)
    so, ya, it's a way to make people fear doing bad things.

12. Mibu Clan

Religion exists to control the masses....simple as...

It always has, it always will...

Also Religion serves as a relief from the fear of death...

13. Asmodai

mankind didn't had the knowledge to explain things like wheather changes and such, so they made up this higher being wich controlled it, if you have something to believe him you can also be controlled but this concept has only been developed till the day the church started to hassle with money, that's why all the wars between the aristocratie (sp) and the church....

14. Tsukiyomi

Religion gives people answers to questions they can't or don't want to try and answer.

Such as what happens when you die, a lot of people become religious when death is staring them in the eyes, not so much because they truly believe, but because they are afraid of blinking out of existence. Religion tells people they'll last forever, thats comforting.

It gives easy answers to questions like creation. Saying a magical being beyond our comprehension used magic to create everything is an easy explanation that most don't question because they're taught to believe they can't comprehend the answer. Personally I don't buy into all that.

15. Gisaku Kimura

God created us to have a relationship with him, and when we are without him we don't feel complete.

16. Tsukiyomi

I disagree, I don't need god to feel complete. Some peopel feel complete. Plenty of people feel complete by themselves, as a complete individual, some peopel feel complete when they've found someone they love who loves them back.

If god wanted us to be with him to be complete then why seperate us from him at all? If he is really all powerful couldn't he easily make it so we could be with him always? Surely god is exempt from any kind of rules to the contrary.

17. Unamed Ninja

To give us some purpose or meaning. Without religion, people wouldnt feel bad about doing things that are described as sins, probably raising the crime rate. I dunno, thats how I feel.

18. Gisaku Kimura

I respect your opinion. Also, God didn't seperate us from him... ever heard of Adam & Eve? He had to seperate us from him because sinners can't dwell with God.
    And lastly, God 'DID' make it so we can be with him forever. All you have to do is put your faith in Jesus as your saviour... that is afterall why He died on the cross. Have you ever truly listened to the story of Jesus? Anyway, no disrespect intended, g'day ol' chap.

19. Tsukiyomi

I also respect your opinion, but I don't see why "sinners can't dwell with god". If our purpose really is to be with god and he really wants us to be with him, then he could easily make it so. Unless there are rules even god is subject to, in which case he is not all powerful.

That all seems so unnecessary, if god really has the kind of power the bible wants us to believe he has he could just bring us to him. I'm familiar with the story of Jesus, but that makes no sense to me whatsoever. The whole concept of sacrifice is stupid to me. "You were all dirty sinners before, but because this guy was tortured and killed you're not anymore".

20. PsycheAcheronos

Religion was created as a means to explain the unexplainable, although its taken thousands of years for it to evolve into the black tool that it is today (even if religious people won't accept all of the deeds done in their religions' name or by the religion itself).

But beyond being an early means of explaining the unexplainable, something that science is trying to do in our day and age, religion is aslo a truly effective means of controlling large masses of people.

21. Hermie

To provide an answer to the biggest and simplest question of all; why?

22. Blackvoice

because there is a God who created everything in this universe. as far as how we express our thanks differs from person to person.
    i for one believe that God exists but a being that is so powerfull does not really need pewny old me to praise his name all the time etc. i think there are simple things that we as human beings should do and follow in this world.

the greatest command Jesus gave was love your neighbor like yourself. the second command that i follow is do onto others what you would want others to do onto to you. with these two commands we could all live in harmony.
    now can some body say AMEN.

23. Gisaku Kimura

24. kakeman

religion is bull!

i think the religions that exists today r just stupid.... the only thing they cause is wars.... :mad

i do not beleve that u need a religion... but i do beleve that u need faith.. :)
    life is all about death u know

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  25. dbcomix

religion is here som people can have something to believe in. it hepls maintain order. life would suck if you had nothing to believe in and you know you'll die with nothing to look forward to after death....

26. BlueCheese

It gives people something to believe in, it gives them hope and guidance.

27. Unamed Ninja

In the past, religion was used for profit and to scare the people into doing what they were told.

Today its just about having somthing to believe in I suppose.

28. Mibu Clan

...Amen Brotha...

Religion is set up to control people....nowdays....and always

Yes it does help people spiritually and tries to explain why we exist...and all

But looking at the bible, its contradictions and all....they all point into a society where all are set to rules set up by superiors to them....

All eligion is the same...bahh

booooooooo to Religion :mad :notrust

29. shinjuu

To not fear death
    To have hope in bad times
    To have something to live for
    To have something to do on sundays....(no offence, dont know if its the same at everybody's place but here its just total boredom nothing to do at all but browsing the internet on sundays..:/)

etc.

30. kakeman

aaah mibu clan... finaly somone that feels the same way as i do... :)

beleave in what u want but don`t force it in other people :mad ...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005