1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Z-Era Goku considered dumb?

Discussion in 'Dragon Ball' started by Omote, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Omote

Up until Super I genuinely don't remember anything Goku has done that's qualified for retarded besides him giving Cell a Senzu Bean.

He's way more of a naive well meaning guy than an idiot, so I never understood the "Goku is a stupid bad dad" memes :oldshrug

Tags:
  2. Gordo solos

He’s not dumb. He can be carefree and reckless, but so are a lot of people

Blame TFS

3. animegod12345

He was stupid in z the problem is this fandom never notice it.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Ningen Ningen x 1
    • List
  4. TheWiggian

Flag:
    Germany

Because his Super self is smart as fuck.

5. PFM18

Because he's a fucking moron. It's good though. That's what makes the character interesting and not like any other protagonist/hero archetype. And Super Goku is no different.

6. Blade

all i have to say is

that namek saga kakarot is supporter of gender equality

:mjlol :mjlol :mjlol :mjlol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. Millón Vasto

Ssj namek saga goku high diffing a feminazi:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

8. Juub

Is Goku even interesting? I find Vegeta and Gohan to be far more interesting in terms of character.

9. Millón Vasto

He is simply naive.

And dumb when it comes to "bookdmarts" due to a lack of education.

10. WorldsStrongest

Flag:
    Canada

“Hello evil bug man who almost killed me, is way stronger than me, and is stronger than my son in his current state! Oh whats that? Youre a bit winded from facing me? Heres a Senzu so you can kill my son easier!”

“Oh look! A primordial being of incomprehensible evil/power/destruction! A being I have the power to keep from ever waking up in the first place! Nah better fight Vegeta and wake it up instead!”

“Oh look! Me and Vegeta woke up the evil being! And it killed Vegeta and my son and hundreds of other people! I STILL have the power to kill it tho! Better not and “pass the torch” in a hail mary that might not even work instead!”

“Oh look! My every plan/decision for dealing with this primordial being of evil has blown up in my face and everyone ive ever known is dead and gone! So is the entire human race! And the earth itself! Me and Vegeta have LITERALLY one chance left to kill him before hes set loose on the entire universe! Better crush the Potara!”

To name a few

As a DB fan, I understand the in universe reasons for each decision, but I get why Goku comes off as a brick idiot.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Blade

she was a captain sjw fan, and kakarot couldn't take this anymore :mjlol :mjlol

12. Millón Vasto

Bruh

Like imagine a horsefaced shemale with timmy turner teeth and her decomposing george soros looking mother in many of her pantsuits performing potara and then shitting out her lgbtqzgtheroessuper sjw spawn. I guess it makes sense she needs to be extreme diffedd even by goku.:ickkk

13. Blade

14. the_notorious_Z.É.

Flag:
    Portugal
    I hate when people use the "giving Cell a Senzu Bean" as a evidence for Goku's dumbness, Goku didn't do that out of stupidity, he did it because of his martial artist pride mixed with some naivety regarding Gohan's willingness to fight and Cell respecting the rules.

I imagine that because, from what I heard, the American dub took a lot of liberties with the dialogues to make Goku more of a super hero, this may stand out as stupid for the people who watched that dub, after all a super hero wouldn't do that, but in the original and other dubs, that's very much in line with Goku's personality.

15. ChadtheGoat

Goku DBZ is Adult.

Goku Z mangá is 100% Akira Toriyama.

GT Goku And DBS Goku is meh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  16. SionBarsod

The bad dad memes came from people taking the TFS version of him and his relationship with Gohan as canon despite the fact that the show is a parody and in that version Gohan is a little shit himself. Hell Vegeta treated trunks way worse in that arc.

The senzu bean incident was Goku being extremely confident in Gohan's power where he was right about Gohan being strong enough to deal with Cell but wrong about what would trigger it.

17. PFM18

Oh, of course they are. Just, he's more interesting than most generic heroes out there. The cliche hero, who doesn't have any obvious flaws, has normal intelligence and is inherently altruistic all the time is just more boring. Goku being a dumb and unknowingly selfish makes him naturally more interesting than otherwise.

I guess I prefer the naivety and dumbness of Kid Goku. It's more "cute" when it's a kid who is confused about the world. But when it's an adult it's just more pathetic. And Kid Goku didn't just spare people for no reason, he was going to God damn murder you.

18. Utopia Realm

Don't consider him dumb, but wondered why he didn't try and teach Kaioken or Spirit bomb to anybody else. Would have been hella sweet to see Gohan with Kaioken developed or Piccolo with Spirit bomb.

Only time I considered him dumb was the Tag in at the Cell games. Like, he's been around his son for 4+ years with time skip and RoSaT and he never figured to ask his son if he was comfortable with killing or was able to kill at the drop of a hat to protect people.

19. MaruUchiha

Flag:
    United States
    If we're being honest the more dumb Goku from Super stays true to what an airhead Kid Goku was in Dragonball

20. NO

That's fair, but it's still character regression. Z Goku was undeniably smarter and less naive than Super Goku.

21. Namikaze Minato Flash

It started way before that. Right back at the Saiyan arc when he had Vegeta spared. It was beautiful for the franchise, sure, but very questionable to sound reason also. I wasn’t feeling his decision making on Namek either. Vegeta had the right mindset to kill the Ginyu Force off. Goku wanted to spare them for some odd reason. The same people that nearly took his son’s life. I think it had a lot to do with his arrogance and selfish desire to test himself against strong opponents...

22. Hazard

for me it came off as super goku is just alittle bit more carefree since whis and beerus are with them.
    he was serios when he had to be serios.

23. Ssjloke

goku giving cell a senzu wasn't even dumb

24. NO

Super Goku is a lot more goofy in multiple contexts which changes the tone of his character. It's a more carefree Goku that reminds us of OG DB Goku, yes, but it seemed liked he lacks the maturity he gained when we made the transition from OG DB to DBZ. Yes, he can get serious, but it never felt like he had the same aura of assertion that Z Goku had when Frieza killed Krillin. For instance: As soon as the Saiyan Saga started, Goku was all business. His son was kidnapped by some alien claiming to be his brother and you could see the emotion, conviction, and assertion that Goku had. He teamed up with Piccolo, the previous antagonist (lmao), just to beat him. That is not only serious but smart.

Super Goku would be like "Raditz kidnapped my son? haha can't wait for a good fight! stay out of the way piccolo xD" and that's precisely my problem with Super Goku.

25. Hazard

i dont think that would be his reaction when his son is kidnapped in super.

26. Luiz

Goku was more entertaining as a kid, because he had this whole uncivilized, near feral thing going. He didn't know what electricity was and ate wolves for breakfast.

27. ChadtheGoat

Theme of Goku in Battle of Gods is Hero,in my opnion Goku is Hero.

Masako Goku VA talk of Goku!

Do you feel Goku's changed since the Tournament of Power and fighting so many strong opponents?

Goku never changes. He's always been the same, he's always going to be Goku. He wants one thing for the whole world. He just wants peace, he wants everyone to get along with each other. So when [he] encounters a villain or a bad guy, all he's trying to do is change the way they think a little bit and shift them towards good. So if in the middle of a fight if a bad guy says, "You know what? I changed my mind, I'm going to be a good guy now," he's going to stop fighting. He's not in it to beat him up to a pulp or prove that he's better or stronger. He just wants peace.

28. AJBeckyBlissRollins

Too forgiving with a sense of humour probably.