1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Why Kakashi wears a mask

Discussion in 'Naruto Theories' started by sayam, Dec 4, 2004.

1. sayam lurker

I got this theory and I need to get it out of my head and I might aswell get it out and put it right here.

So after we have read the kakashi gaiden under these weeks we have found out that kakashi had some family problem and that's no a very uncommon thing in this series.
    However, yondaime said that kakashis father was great and all that and that he chosed his companions lives and broke the rules over the success of the missions.
    And becuse of that, he was disgraced by the village and even his companions.

So that lead to the conclusion that kakashi is ashamed of his father and is ashamed that his face looks so much like his father, that's why he hides his face.
    And so, over the years wearing his mask he get used to it and won't take it of, even after he gets over it, about his father I mean.

this is my theory, if you got your own, you could just write it down here.

Tags:
  2. YamazakiSusumu Just call me Susumu.

I like that idea... but we're not sure when Kakashi started wearing the mask in the first place.

In the picture of Kakashi's team and Yondaime that he has above his bed shows him wearing the mask, but we don't know how old they were in that picture either.

Sakumo died 5 years ago. If Kakashi is 12 in the gaiden (just a guess) then he'd be 6 when his father died.... the age that he became a Chuunin. Hmmmm

Bah! It's too confusing since we don't know his age in the gaiden.

3. Naruto_Uzumaki Just here...

or maybe is just cuz hes ugly....

4. Nyarlathotep Member

The Ichiraku ramen chapter which was used to make episode 101 blows your statement to smithreens.

5. Absolute Zero Bleachtard

Indeed. Hell, even the old guy running the joint looked to be seriously considering homosexuality.

6. I ARE 1031 Member

Yeah, that was really hilarious but it was a really old manga chapter before that episode. Somebody has it as a sig in this forum. (The guy above was right about the old guy, I noticed that too and it made it even funnier)

7. Pirazy Swede-Nin

It keeps the fangirls away, Sasuke could have used one of those in his academy days..

8. hikaru yuki Gintamard

perhaps his dad wore a mask..and since he doesnt even mention his dad anymore, a kid still loves his father no matter what, right? perhaps its used as a "remembrance". or maybe he wants to be as strong as his father.

also, kakashi is always bitching about how your teammates are so important. kakashi's dad died as a result of saving his teammates...another reason for kakashi to look up to his dad and copy him.

i dunno..just maybe..-__-

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  9. Kineas Standing alone.

Hm. The first theory is nice, about him not wanting the people of Konoha to remember him for his father's failures. It just doesn't start to hold up once you consider why would he keep on wearing it ever since he came to terms with it, especially when greater tragedies happened, like the pending death of Obito.
    I just hope it isn't the result of some vow on some deathbed. That'll be too corny.
    If that Ichiraku Ramen chapter on his mask is anything to come by, Kakashi unmasking himself would cause massive havoc in Konoha. So perhaps it's for social reasons. :)

*inserts shameless plug for KakashiXAyame FC*
    The result of what happens when Kakashi is caught unmasked.

10. Raikiri R.I.P. Kisame, keep pimpin

Kakashi is a ninja. Some ninjas wear masks. It's not that complicated.

11. superman_1 Well-Known Member

hmmm....or maybe a crocodile or an alligator bit his face off.....

i heard the same thing in a simpson episode once....when bart says it.......in the episode when he fools his teacher about the dating, bart says maybe a crocodile bit his teacher''s boyfriend's head off.....etc............

12. occasionalutopia Active Member

Interesting theory sayam, but like other posters it doesn't make sense to me either why he would wear the mask out of shame because of his father, since he obviously agrees his father did the right thing after what happened with Obito :NF smile: Maybe his dad wore a mask for practical purposes (e.g. his face was scarred), and Kakashi just decided to do the same thing to honour his father. But before the gaiden I simply guessed that since Kaka-Sensei's an aloof guy, perhaps he just wears his mask to hide his emotions. Or it could have started as an attempt to hide his kiddish features since he was prolly much younger compared to his classmates in the Academy - but who knows since we have no idea when he started wearing that damn mask XD Bah, maybe he just wears it cos he thinks it's cool.
    Or it could just really, simply boil down to that :laugh

13. Nasuke Nasuke

Im gonna post this elsewhere.
    Sorry

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  14. Tautou Member

In an interview the question, "Why does Kakashi wear a mask?" is asked. Kishimoto's reply was that he saw ninja's as being "mysterious" or something, so in his character design he made Kakashi wear a mask, but he didn't do that with other characters because it's too difficult to get their expressions down when you can't see their entire face.

15. Jin Lvl 69 Otaku

Yes, and in the manga Kakashi says he wears a mask cause you are not to know the identity of a ninja.

16. xmerchentx The night ninja

maybe he wears the mask because of his fear of germs?! i mean its only over his mouth and nose and this theory could b a reason...u cant stop a phobia unless ur like tsunade

17. occasionalutopia Active Member

Gak, I just read the interview, having a traditionally ninja-ey character seems to be all there is to it about Kakashi's mask. So it's really that simple after all XD Maybe Kishi will furnish a serious/comical reason for the mask eventually, if only for the sake of having another reason less mundane than the original :laugh

18. Raikiri R.I.P. Kisame, keep pimpin

19. DarkItachiSharingan S-Rank Criminal

y not say that kishimoto just put the mask on so we think on how he looks since he cant just draw a face and eveyrone agrees is goodlookin so is up to our imagination on how good lookin since they wont show u his face

20. HisshouBuraiKen OuraouraouraouraOURA!

HE'S GOT BIG FAT LIPS

21. niceguy645 the shameless

kakashi seems 2 be the type of guy that enjoys solidtude. If he is attractive then he would have girls hittin on him the second he leaves his home. Annoying no? I myself enjoy solidtude on a social basis, however, im alone because i dont like people.

22. caust1c Member

doesnt he wear a mask because he used to live in the snow country
    and it was to keep him warm
    and it just sort of became apart of him?

23. Kineas Standing alone.

caust1c: Did you get that factoid from the movie? That Kakashi was from the snow country. I've haven't watched the movie, and I'm pretty sure the snow country is exclusive to the Naruto movie.

24. FFLN The Smexiness has arrived

After finding out that Sakumo had the nickname of "White Fang", it made me think that maybe it's because the Hatake's are a family of Vampire Ninjas... there isn't really anything to back that up, but it's a thought.:D More likely though, it probably has to do with their bond with dogs. So maybe they do wear those masks because they're fang-boys.:D Yeah, there's a thought for the fan-girls out there. Fang-boy Kakashi... I can see them drooling right now.;)

25. sayam lurker

26. Molidir Sharingan user

haha.. picture urself kakashi doing the same thing naruto does with kiba after the forest, when he henges into akamaru and bites him, exept he got fangs and bites, breaks so the blood floods

27. Confucius345 The Divine Sandstorm

If you look at the picture when Kakashi was very little he still wore the mask..although that idea is pretty Good.

28. Jack Bauer Hoping Love

I think the reason why Kakashi wears a mask is because he does it to hide his face from the fact he was ashamed that his father commited suicide so he wears it as like a "shame memento".(sorry I cant think of another word)

29. Gunshin Chocoball Mukai!!111

I'm leaning towards bad teeth like Zabuza. BRUSH DAMN IT.

30. YamazakiSusumu Just call me Susumu.

Kisame has the same teeth as Zabuza. I'm guessing that all of the 7 Mist Swordsmen did that to their teeth to show that they were a group. *crosses fingers that we'll get to see the other 5*
    --
    I like your idea that he hides his face so people aren't so quick to compare him to his father, who he is (was) ashamed of.