1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Why was Asuma so much more scared of Hidan and Kaku than Itachi and Kisame?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Kimi Sama, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Kimi Sama

I was just comparing the two sets of encounters, and it seems to me that Asuma was far more scared of Hidan and Kaku than he ever was Itachi and Kisame. (gonna write them as initials from now)

In the fight with I & K, (starts at chapter 140 if you want to check it out), Asuma is by no means over confident, but at least seems to think he and Kurenai will be able to 'take (them) on!' and at no point did he really seem to be that intimidated by due, despite knowing they were both S-class criminals.

Then compare that to the H & K encounter, where after mere moments he freaks the fuck out and shouts 'these guys are way stronger than I am!!!'

I guess he was already on edge because these guys killed Chikiru, but then again, he knew Itachi decimated Konoha's strongest clan when he was a mere child, but wasn't too bothered.

Anyone else find this a bit odd?

Do you suppose it means Hidan and Kaku are indeed the stronger duo?

Or was Asuma just being an arse?

Or for that matter, is it just more baseless character rep building like Kishimoto does with almost every new enemy? (Haku being hinted at being stronger than Kakashi, Gaara some how doing A-class missions without harm, etc)

Tags:
  2. omg laser pew pew!

Who would be scared of Itachi and Kisame?

One guy looks like he came back from a halloween contest while the other can't even be seen with his hat on

I'm surprised they didn't break down laughing at first sight

3. Turnip Girl

When he faced Itachi and Kisame, he didn't have a big cloud of foreshadowy death hanging over his head. >o<

4. the scorpion's tail

Because that was the first time they encounterd Akatsuki they didn't knew what The Akatsuki could do.

5. korican04

Asuma didn't know how powerful the akatsuki really were. Basically after that first encounter he figured if they were all at that level and itachi isn't even the most powerful of them then he's screwed if he fought them.

6. SLEDGE

And he knew they were enough to kill his munk friend :( so he knew that much atleast.

7. James

I guess part of it is that Itachi and Kisame were like slap bang in the middle of Konoha so help would've always only been nearby. Other than that I guess it's just that Asuma never realised exactly how powerful they were until after his fight with Itachi and Kisame and this time specifically he realised he'd be fighting them to the death no matter what.

8. Jin-E

Both Itachi and Kisame was well known people for him and he knew the essentials of their abilities. So he knew approximately what he was up against.

Hidan and Kakuzu apparently was unknown for him and Hidan's ability severly shocked him and that caused him to be off guard. Also he realized that his fate in reality was sealed after Hidan cursed him. From that time onwards his entire fight was one big death struggle. I think he understood just how cruel these two Akatsuki's were.

He was probably also very worried what they would do to Shikamaru.

9. Darth Judicar

Itachi and Kisame were both known to him. Itachi he easily recognized from his village, as he had a hstory there while Kisame mad himself known, as one of the Mist rogues and former member of the swordsmen. So basically, he had a good idea about what those two could do and were capable of, while with Hidan and Kakuzu he didn't have a clue.

10. Surreal

In Konoha he had his back covered by Kurenai and Kakashi and he had home ground advantage. But, the fact is, after a while he was starting to be afraid, you can see a change in his additute when Itachi began to be semi serious.

This time he only had 3 chunnins, he knew what they did to the monks and just how cruel they were. And after a while he saw just how powerfull and bloodthirsty they are.
    It's no wonder he got petrified when he saw Hidan smiling after he got stabbed from both sides.

edit:
    Deleted the rest to avoid spoilers.

11. Futagokage

He was with his "lady", is natural that he acted like a macho and does not show fear in front of Kurenai. :)

12. shintebukuro

I don't believe he was aware of how his strength compared to akatsuki members the first time.

13. pearl_master

i think it was because when it was itachi there were in the village full of powerful ninja includeing kakashi, this time against hidan he away from the village and he had shikamaru with him who he sees as a son i believe.

(sorry for the spelling errors.)

14. mow

The first encounter occured at their home turf, and for the most part they knew who itachi was and his capabilites and I think they knew who kisame was and his origins. They had kakshi with his sharigan, Kurenai with her genjustu and Asuma with his close combat abilites (soon to be followed by Gai), and thats one hell of a team with the potential for more nins to come on and fight I+K. Yet still he and K were scared, remeber the bit when itach actived his MS sharigan and kishi yelled out to them not tolook at his eyes? There were gonna piss themselves silly

The current encounter was in a new location ,with no allies around, against to members that they knew nothing about. It's much easier to play in your home with half the poker deck marked.

15. MS81

your right on one part but you forgot one thing the "bingo book" it has all the missing-nin and S-class criminals in there.:wink

16. Efraim Longstocking

It was pretty retarded to send those considerably weak teams to battle akatsuki from the beginning. Death was inevitable from the start.

And I must say Hidan seems alot more dangerous than Itachi and Kisame togheter.

17. forkandspoon

I dont think he became scared of HIdan til he watched him get stabed in his chest and not be affected.

18. Divinstrosity

Asuma said that he didn't expect Itachi to be that strong. Kakashi then told him that he hadn't shown his true strength yet...

I'm sort of wondering - what exactly was he expecting from someone who murdered the 'entire' Uchiha clan when he was barely a teen?

19. Halcyon Days

because he was finna get mur-dered. he didnt know their capabilities, but i bet he know now.lol

20. MS81

I personally don't think he was scared I think if Ino and Chouji was there he would have more of fighting spirit.

21. QuoNina

I think his reactions were just something that follow the situations, that's all.

Itachi would only fight if Azuma gets in his way, otherwise, he is leaving. Therefore, to stop Itachi, Azuma took the initiative and confronted them. Azuma and Kurenai were losing in an instance before Kakashi came. He would probly feel I and K are strong as he did to H + K. He just did not have the chance to say it because other players came in.

His words in his fight with H and K definitely rep H in a sense. But it shows more about his hasty attitude imo. Shikamaru also hinted Azuma did not act like himself.
    Spoiler:
    It's a foreshadowing of what happened to him in 328 I guess. :(

22. Fenix

So Asuma freaks out easily -_-

23. pearl_master

true asuma and Kurenai have got to be a couple they are always together and i wouldn't be supprised if she was pregant, put poor baby asuma might not have a daddy by the time he is born :wtf

24. geminis

First of all, Asuma was shitting his pants when Itachi had his MS activated. When kakashi fell to his knees, Asuma and Kurenai were just 3 seconds shy of bursting in tears .... luckily Gai came through and let them know anbu reinforcements were coming.

After that moment of dispair that Asuma felt while "trying" to help out against Itachi, he knew the level Akatsuki were at. At the time he mentioned "these guys are better than me" I'm sure he was taking into account his past skirmish were previous akatsuki, their reputation, and the fact that Hidan and Kakuzu took out his monk friend and the rest of the temple.

On a sidenote......how is Hidan scarier/deadlier/more menacing/ than Itachi?

People seem to think so, which to me is hilarious. Hidan isn't tough just because he curses all the time. They guy barely handled a team of chuunins are you guys serious. Hidan won't last 1 minute against any other Akatsuki.

25. Nice Gai

Man How the hell do you defeat Hidan with sending Gai in there was probably his thoughts. Asuma is an Elite Jounin he needs to get some serious lessons from Gai. Gai trained Kakashi and he can do the Same for Asuma. In my eyes Hidan and kazuku freak me out more. Itachi and Kisame look funnying looking. These are probably the first 2 AK members I can take seriously.

26. geminis

Itachi would've merked team Asuma in less than a New York minute. Kisame would've flooded that whole area and drown them. Hidan plays voodoo doll with himself....big whoops, Kakuzu I can't deny; Kakuzu is a problem.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  27. Haohmaru

fact is if it where itachi and kisame they encountered theyve all would have been dead. hidan scarier than itachi and kisame, shit please like somebody else mentioned hidan wouldnt stand a chance against most other aka members. i dont get how people think hidan is soo strong, hes prolly one of the weakest aka members along with deidei. kakuzu is strong, prolly around the same strenght as kisame. itachi is way above all these punks weve seen so far, in fact the AL might be the only one who could do shit about itachi. all these aka weve seen so far are nowhere near oros level, let alone itachis. sure theyd pawn tsunade, but against opponents like jiraiya or oro most of them couldnt do a shit about if it where 1 vs 1, cept the AL and itachi. dont know about zetsu and the girl but zetsu seems strong to me.

28. Shidoshi

Yeah, the only thing Asuma showed he knew about Itachi was what Itachi did to the Uchiha. And, hell, almost the entire village pretty much knew that, certainly the older generation ninjas do.

Asuma doesn't say anything else that suggests he has a good idea of what he's capable of.

Kakashi had to tell Asuma and Kurenai who Kisame was.

However, by the time they meet up with Hidan and Kakuzu, Asuma has a much better idea, having already met two of Akatsuki, and knowing that another two killed Chiriku.

Perhaps he didn't know that Itachi had done that without so much as a scratch on him. If he did, I would guess that he'd at least have a slightly better idea of what he was up against.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  29. Daenerys Stormborn Advisor

Maybe it's because of the whole immortality thing? I mean, I'd be pretty freaked out if I saw some guy's severed head start talking too.

30. Ghost_of_Gashir

Flag:
    Russia, Colombia

If you just had your teammates stab some guy from both sides with giant kunai and he didn't even flinch, wouldn't you be scared just a bit?

Standing around and having civil discussions with Itachi and Kisame is nothing compared to someone taking multiple fatal hits and staring at you with slight annoyance. It's bound to make Asuma go "OMG...wtf am I up against here!?"

Come on now, it's not like you run into someone who's immortal every day in Konoha or anything...