1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Anime Awards for 2017 part 2 commences with the category of worst anime of 2017!

Drop by and leave a vote in the following threads: 1 2 3 4 5
    Dismiss Notice

Will Bishonen Ever Become More Popular in the West?

Discussion in 'Akihabara Lounge' started by DemonDragonJ, Jun 5, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Some of my favorite characters in Japanese manga and animation (Char Aznable in Mobile Suit Gundan, Zechs Merquise in Gundam Wing, Sesshomaru in Inuyasha, Itachi Uchiha in Naruto, and Byakuya Kuchiki in Bleach) are all bishonen, a character archetype that is distinguished by a male character who lacks facial or body hair and has a lean and athletic build, rather than being overly-muscled; compare traditional depictions of Apollo to Zeus or Baldur to Thor for examples of this archetype. As a side note, not all of my favorite characters are bishonen, as I also am very fond of Crocodile in One Piece, Orochimaru in Naruto, and Alucard in Hellsing, none of whom are bishonen; Portgas D. Ace, another favorite character of mine, is a borderline example, as he is nearly a bishonen, yet not to the extent of the characters whom I mentioned in my first sentence.

However, I have noticed that there are very few bishonen in western media, which seems to idolize rugged men with huge muscles and facial hair; in fact, most westerners use the term “pretty boy,” an approximate translation of “bishonen,” as an insult or term of derision. The only prominent examples of bishonen in recent western media of whom I am aware are Loki in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Kylo Ren in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, one of whom is a villain and the other of whom has very questionable morality and both of whom have dark hair and brooding personalities; neither of them is a hero, whereas the hero to one of them is a rough and rugged male with facial hair (the hero for the other is a woman, but a bearded male does fight him at one point, which is ironic, because said bearded male was practically a bishonen when he was younger).

Why is this? Why does western media tend to favor rugged males over bishonen, and will bishonen ever become more popular in the west? What does everyone else say about this?

Tags:
  2. Batzzaro29 Well-Known Member

>>>>

Also loki & Kylo are not 'Bishies'

You can't make anything other then flop Anime movies with the guy below.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  3. Mider T VM Rapist

Nah Asian women like their boys pretty girly. Western women don't.

4. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

First, who are those two men; second, how are Loki and Kylo Ren not bishonen?

Being a bishonen does not mean being effeminate; it simply means not having huge muscles or facial hair; Byakuya, Itachi, and Sesshomaru are all unquestionably masculine, but not in the way that Broly, Guts, or Kenshiro are.

5. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

too many bishonen characters look like girls so they're often mistaken for females (or trannies). From what I've seen, Bishonen guys are popular (overrated) among the weebs and fujos in the west. I wish Bara guys were more popular in the west and east.:catprone

6. ~Avant~ Eveningstar

Bishonen had their time in the West during the Prince Era. It happened once, it could happen again.

7. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

None of the bishonen whom I mentioned in my first post look remotely feminine, and they all have very masculine voices, so they will never be mistaken for women.

8. Mider T VM Rapist

Would you call Prince Charles bishounen? He is very effeminate.

9. Kiba's Slut Boy World's #1 Kiba Inuzuka Fanboy

Sesshomaru, Itachi and Byakuya all look very feminine though.

10. Araragi loneliness is a wave Moderator

a healthy balance between bara and bishounen is optimal

11. Batzzaro29 Well-Known Member

Feminine angular jawline.

<<<<<<<

Mainly squared jawline.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  12. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Prince Charles is neither effeminate nor a bishonen.

They do not, at least not to me.

@Batzzaro29, that is purely your opinion.

13. Mider T VM Rapist

He is effeminate. Looks at how limp his wrists are, how weak his handshake is, how lanky he is.

14. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Have you seen photographs of him? He does not look remotely like a woman.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  15. Mider T VM Rapist

16. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

17. Takaya Well-Known Member

Give it a few years and more women involved in casting, directing and producing the big media productions and I can virtually guarantee you'll see some prettyboys pop up.

18. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Why would there be any connection between casting of women and casting of bishonen?

19. Xel puddle of toxic waste

Really? I thought it took more than that to be considered a bishounen. There are plenty of characters in Western media who have an average build and lack facial hair (cause they shave).

20. Takaya Well-Known Member

Women as the people doing the casting. Ie, choosing who gets to play the roles.

21. Rifulofthewest Active Member

Bishonen characters are increasingly in the western, that's true ... and it bothers me, I like handsome men, not look like women, in addition, the boys must have a good beard, is sexy.
    The best is have a middle, like Ichigo, Renji or Grimmjow, They are cute, but not looks like womens.
    I would not call handsome Loki or Kylo Ren, they are creepy

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018 at 11:52 AM