1. It's Time to Duel! Welcome to the NF Yu-Gi-Oh! Grand Championships. This tournament will span across 4 sections:
    Akihabara Lounge| Mafia | OBD |The Alley
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Attention:

From now on, all kinds of threads concerning the upcoming movie will be moved to the Telegrams, so make sure to post your threads there from the get to go.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. If you write blogs about the current anime season (for linking) or like to add descriptions / impressions on certain series and like to add them to our wiki, then send us a ticket.
    Dismiss Notice

6. BoOooOo!

Come one, come all to the wondrously eerie Pumpkin Patch! Perform tasks and challenges each day to stock up on the mystical Pumpkin Coins and use them to exchange for grand forum prizes! Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, don't fear that which lies beneath the surface!

Schedule:
    Signups; October 10th - 15th
    Tasks and Challenges; October 15th - 29th
    Pumpkin Picking; October 30th - 31st
    Dismiss Notice

7. A blank contract written with magical ink?! Check out our Spooktacular Trick or Treat Event.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Goku Ever Be Broken in Spirit?

Discussion in 'Dragon Ball' started by DemonDragonJ, May 10, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

Most shonen protagonists are very similar; a determined and strong-willed person who never backs away from a challenge and is almost always in a positive mood. However, nearly every shonen protagonist also at least once suffers from a defeat that utterly crushes their spirits and leaves them a broken shell of depression; for example, Vegeta being defeated by Android 18 in Dragon Ball, Naruto's defeat by Sasuke at the Valley of the End in Naruto, Ichigo's defeat by Byakuya in Bleach, Luffy's defeat by Crocodile and then witnessing Ace's death in One Piece, Edward and Alphonse Elric being defeat by Scar in Fullmetal Alchemist, and so forth.

However, Goku, despite being the character who first established many of the archetypal traits of a shonen protagonist, has never suffered a defeat that utterly crushed his spirit and left him wallowing in depression, which I think would be a great way to give him more depth and development and also have variety in the story, rather than nearly every arc feeling similar to previous arcs.

What does everyone else say about this? Will Goku ever suffer a defeat that utterly breaks his spirit?

Tags:
  2. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

I don't think it would really suit Goku. He's always one to act on the here and now rather than focus on problems he can't fix.

3. animegod12345 My waifu is better than yours

I mean he’s basically the second main character.

4. Prince Vegeta So I be written in the book of love

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. JayDZ3 Well-Known Member

6. JayDZ3 Well-Known Member

No cause he has dragonballs , Whis or zeno to fix everything

7. animegod12345 My waifu is better than yours

Yeah I know that’s what I meant.

8. DemonDragonJ bringer of light

That is definitely a problem; what were the writers thinking when they introduced such elements to the series?

9. Millón Vasto Toyble has forsaken us!

goku doesn't work like that. goku's will is pretty much straight forward like an litterall line form point A to point B. if u beat goku he will just welp, gotta get stronger.

the only way to illicit negative selfish emotions is by 1 things. only 1 time. goku felt his ego and selfworth hurt.

1 Jiren calling goku fodder.

U have to really find things that make g

If u beat goku down and then called him a fodder. He might actually feel down. maby if u do it repeatedly and then leave forever making it impossible for him to track u. but still show that u are stronger while u repeatedely verbally abuse him by calling him fodder. might eventually break him.

in short

be ovewhelmingly stronger
    keep calling him a piece of shit relating to his powerlevel
    never give him a chance at revanche. :bookerskully

10. animegod12345 My waifu is better than yours

The problem with goku is that he’s literally fucking retard so it’s almost impossible to break his spirit.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Ningen x 1
    • List
  11. Blade DAN DAN

the only time Goku's spirit was broken, was, when Chi-Chi told him to have sex

:tupac

12. Aduro Definitely not a villain.

That Toriyama is a gag comic writer deep down and he doesn't really want to do a serious or morally challenging shounen anime most of the time. And who writes by the seat of the pants so much that he needs a good reset button so that he doesn't paint himself into a corner.

13. Lord Haunter Tyrant Overlord

? The series is named after a magical artifact that can bring people back to life, this was never supposed to be some morally righteous, dark or serious series. The first 50 or chapters are gag chapters after all.

14. Lord Haunter Tyrant Overlord

100% percent right and nobody could really do this. The only character that ever came close was Freeza.

15. Juub Well-Known Member

Just would like to point out Vegeta’s spirit wasn’t crushed by 18 at all. Frieza crushed his spirit.

He and 18 were on relatively equal terms. She just could keep going at it. With Frieza it was complete and utter despair.

16. Gabe Murim Grand Master

Nope gokus sport will not be broken even if he can not win. He will just try harder to get stronger and overcome the challenges.

17. Dave Grohl I'm your fool

You know what, I typed up a response saying you were wrong, but I thought I would re-read the relevant chapters and it turns out you are 100% correct. Vegeta's spirit was never broken, the beating just strengthened his resolve.

As to the topic at hand, Goku cannot have his spirit broken, it actually isn't in his character. Beerus treated him like a bitch, he just got happier.

18. Mider T VM Rapist

You mean what was Toriyama thinking when he introduced the series' namesake?

19. Toxic Saiyan Once More... with vengeance

No that wouldn’t really be in character unless you took away his family and friends. If it’s just Goku taking the punishment he won’t give a fuck, you can call him names and he won’t really care. He isn’t particularly philosophical so I’m not sure calling him out on his past mistakes or way of life won’t slow him down, he may not be particularly smart, but he isn’t mentally flawed like Jiren, this is a maybe though. Beating the shit out of him over and over really is only going to drive his hunger to get stronger unless you cripple him permanently, but he still has the SDBs. It’s possible, but that doesn’t really suit Dragonball.

But that’s just the thing that makes it interesting, you can’t be too sure with Goku.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  20. Toxic Saiyan Once More... with vengeance

You mean the entire selling point of the series my dude, lol. Pretty sure the Dragonballs have uh... long been in the story... Kappa:lbj

21. MShadows Deathbat

Being down and depressed is out of Goku's character. Being a retard without common sense I don't even think there's any legit way to get at him psychologically except what @Millón Vasto mentioned.

He only gets triggered when his efforts are dismissed as irrelevant, which is exactly what Jiren was doing.

If you stomp and ridicule Goku you'll make him feel the same way as one of those insecure teenage girls that got denied attention.

22. Arles Celes The Psychologist

Well, he sorta was depressed and broken for a bit when Raditz owned him, kidnapped his kid and told him to kill a 100 humans to prove his loyalty. Goku also seemed to be scared by his brother's power level rather than excited.

Goku also was rather scared when Old King Piccolo started to own him and not even kamehameha worked.

But yeah, other than that he was always excited even when facing hopeless situations. He might be addicted to the thrill. :hm

23. JayDZ3 Well-Known Member

Not even losing his family would break him. He doesn’t feel any type of special connection to them - stated by Toriyama . He’d get over it in a day

24. Luck A cheeky cunt

Brazil
    Give me the direct quote.

25. JayDZ3 Well-Known Member

Since Saiyans are supposed to have no affection for family or friends, does this actually make Vegeta, who holds his family and wife dear, an even stranger (kinder) Saiyan than Goku?
    Vegeta, whose pride had been deeply wounded, sought help from Bulma, and little by little, his ruthless personality changed. Nowadays, you certainly might be able to say that. On the other hand, Goku might not have a sense of family members like Gohan and Chi-Chi except as one of his companions.

Joe Rogan does some hilarious fight commentary on two Grizzly's going at it if you're curious

26. Luck A cheeky cunt

Brazil
    This isnt wut u said. In the pist I quoted u said Goku would get over his families death in a day.

27. JayDZ3 Well-Known Member

I said he doesn't see them as anything different than companions (stated by toriyama) therefore (my opinion) he would get over it in one day. goku if you haven't noticed cares about fighting and waku waku more than anything, that wouldn't break him. Nothing can break him cause he's basically a one track minded tard

28. Luck A cheeky cunt

Brazil
    Dud u even read/watch the Daimao arc where he spent the entire arc trying to avenge his dead friend?

29. JayDZ3 Well-Known Member

I never said his family would be killed, i said DIE. IF they died of nat causes and goku had no way to bring them back, i guarantee you he would be back at it the next day training

30. Luck A cheeky cunt

Brazil
    How does one relate to the other? :geg

Its like saying a person cant go back to work the day after a family member dies.