1. chrolloseum
    Take your chances in The Chrolloseum!
    Opened September 29th through October 15th
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Will Kakashi Ever Surpass His Father?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Sho, Aug 8, 2005.

Will Kakashi ever surpass Hatake Sakumo in power?

1. Nope, his time's already passed. He'll never surpass the Sannin/Sakumo in power.

26 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Yes, he already has during the time skip.

19 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. Yes, he'll surpass him in the near future.

42 vote(s)
    38.2%
  4. Yes, but he'll surpass him in the later future.

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. Sho

That's what I've been wondering. I'm not talking about the reputation since Kakashi already has an impressive reputation among all ninjas, but in terms of power. Hatake Sakumo apparently was about renown, if not superior to that of the Sannin. If we take it to mean power, it means that he was as powerful or more powerful than any of the Sannin.

Now Kakashi has already accomplished alot: able to master a bloodline that no one but the clan members can, one of the youngest Chuunin ever, a certified genius, one of the 2 strongest, if not single strongest, elite Jounin in Konoha, has over a 1000 moves, trained by Yondaime, and just strong in all areas. But he hasn't surpassed Hatake Sakumo.

I personally think that Kakashi could have surpassed the Sannin and Sakumo a long time ago if he really was serious about it and was still as dedicated to being that strong. It seemed after the Kakashi Gaiden that he just slacked off or something in training which stopped his progress. After the Itachi fight and the Sasuke arc, I think we saw him get serious, that's why he's improved so much in such a short time (like making a new deadly move and getting rid of his weakness due to the Sharingan). We see that once Kakashi is serious, then he gets much stronger because of his resolve (that's why the same move never works on him twice).

So what I want to know is, do you think Kakashi will ever surpass Sakumo and the Sannin? Will he do it soon? Will he do it later? Has he already done it? What do you think?

Tags:
  2. bobo

Since we have no idea how powerful his father was i dont think you can say.
    Some people speculate that he was as strong as Jiraiya (dont know why).
    Kakashi is already at the level his father was.

3. Potentialflip

Kakashi's father's mind is unstable making him a little more weaker than Kakashi.
    In terms of power it seems to be a no brainer that we have no clue because we have nothing to measure Kakashi too. Him being stronger than the Sannin is impressive but we haven't seen anything or heard of anything that he officially did that would make him better than the Sannin. I believe it is just good enough that he doesn't let his father have anything to do with how he is now. He is creating his own legacy. And for that I am proud that I am a Kakashi fan.

4. Odlam

Kakashi's father rivaled the Sannin in reputation, but it never made any claims about power. Sharingan-no-Kakashi is already pretty famous though, and he will likely get more famous as the series goes and he accomplishes more.

I would say post time skip Kakashi is probably on roughly the same level as his father was, he seems to have improved tremendously, well just have to wait and see the exact extent of the improvements.

5. Blue Supporting Staff Retired Staff

I don't know where people get this idea that Kakashi never trained. :huh

Anyway, yes, he'll be the Rokudaime Hokage, almost certainly. I think that counts as surpassing his dad. [/tokennarutoavenuepostoftheday]

6. Geese

If Sakumo really is as strong as The Sannin, then I highly doubt it.

7. Low-fi Boy

I figured he already was, with help from the sharingan and the whole 1000 jutus thing. Whats more, he already has a big reputation as 'Copycat Kakashi' the way his father was known as the 'White Fang' of Konoha, y'know?

8. Kno7

Well sakumo..*goes back to check * had respect on the same level as the sannin.

We actually have no idea of how strong he is. So if you mean "will he surpass his father's reputation"? Yes. He already has, he's known as copy ninja kakashi throughout the whole world.

In terms of power though, like I've said before, we actually have no idea how strong sakumo was. But, If we assume sakumo had a good reputation because of his skills, and was about on the same level as the sannin,
    Kakashi will probably reach that level in the near future. We know he has the potential to get there. He's not even been training hard, and has already become a jounin, and a very well respected ninja.
    Imagine if he'd train like gai? he'd surpass sannin level for sure.

9. The Mist

I'll go with the theme of younger generation surpassing older generation. So, "Yes, he'll surpass him in the near future", seems fine.

10. mercycubed

I am sure that Kakashi's father is very proud of him, wherever he is. I just hope that his father's mental instability is not genetic. That would be depressing.

11. raijin

A previous post of mine:
    But, this statement was made quite awhile ago. The name of the Legendary Sannin could have very well surpassed Sakumo... or maybe not.

12. Dyroness

Kakashi has already a big fame around him.
    Not counting his noticeable improvement in stats over the span of 1 year... the development of "that" jutsu, and of course, the Sharingan. So based of that, I believe he will definitely surpass his father, not sure when.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  13. Sobe

Kakashi is some sort of freakish uber super genious. Graduating the academy at age five, chuuin at age six, and jounin at age 12 is freaking ridiculous. We've also seen how much of an improvement he's achieved in three years of training. Fully unlocking the 3rd tomoe on the sharingan is another notable accomplishment. If he were to continue to train, he'll be the next hokage and has a good chance of surpassing even Sandaime if he really wanted to

14. iaido

The manga never said anything about power, but reputation. It's safe to say that Hatake Sakumo's power doesn't rival that of a sannin but I'm guessing he was like Kakashi, the best jounin in the village.

But Kakashi will no doubt surpass Sakumo... Not only does he have the sharingan, but the Hatake genius ability.

15. Mizura

Eh.

Legendary Copy Ninja, smarter than Shikamaru, faster than Rock Lee, better sense of smell than Kiba, what else... and purpose/precious people so to say on top of all that (team 7). He had been slacking off before, but that's no longer the case.

To all that add the nice little new generation > equivalent older generation, and yeah, he'll surpass Sakumo alright. I wonder what happened to that blade of his?

16. mgrace

Kakashi is young but with Sharingan he will be better than his father... but I think Kakashi has relied upon Sharingan way to much instead of figuring out his bloodline (White fang)... I think his new technique is a WHITE FANG MOVE with enromous power

17. The Mist

Yeah same here. It has to be White Fang related, anything else would kinda suck.

18. Shounen Bat

i said that he already surpassed his father during the time skip, but i guess that really all depends on how good his new jutsu is. i'm expecting something truly amazing...

19. G. Hawke

That specific chapter i never downloaded the english trans, but i did read my localised chinese trans.

Now according to that one, it refered to Sakumo in more or less these terms.
    "Infront of the name of the White fang of Konoha, even the Sanin of the leaf have to take a cautios step/ or take a step back." or something to that effect.
    And considering my localised version has never screwed up before, i am inclined to trust it.
    That would mean that Sakumo was strong enough to cause the Sanin trouble.
    So considering that Oro walk in on Kakashi during the Chunin Exam Arc with totally no fear i would have to say that at this moment most likely Kakashi is still behind his father strength wise.

But i assume that in the near future he might just surpass his father, but a very strong might. :D

20. FitzChivalry

If Sakumo had respect like the Sannin then it'll be a tough bill for Kakashi to live up to. I think he's like 50-65% there. It'll take him a long time.

I'd like to see him use 'that jutsu'/

21. mr_shadow Moderator

Flag:
    Sweden
    Leonardo Da Vinci said: "Any good student should be able to surpass his master".

I think this is very true, and that each generation is potentially stronger than the previous, once they reach the same level of experience. So when Kakashi reaches the age his dad was when he died (im guessing 40-something) he will prolly be better.

And if we interpit Leonardos quote literally, he could potentially beat Yondaime.

22. Nakor

kakashi hasn't yet reached the level of reputation his father had. it seems when most talk about the sannin they show respect and even fear their reputation. while kakashi's name is known world-wide, he still doesn't get the same fear of reputation that the sannin get.

23. Neut

Well if it was assumed Hatake Sakumo was a Sannin equivalent in his day, there's no reason why Kakashi shouldn't be able to equal/exceed him... like Kakashi said, he's still young, give him another the time and the right challenges he's all set for the mile-high club.

24. Zenko Hazumi

Hmmm. I never saw Kakashi as slacking off after the events of the Gaiden. That's an interesting view, and now that you've pointed it out, it seems that way. Now that he's got new motivation, he'll surely improve even more!

25. Sho

Bump no jutsu.

Now it's pretty much confirmed that Sakumo was stronger than the Sannin. Not only is Sakumo stated as having renown that was greater than the Sannin, but it also says that his skills were above them too in the databook.

I think Kakashi will definitely surpass Sakumo when he's in his prime IMO.

26. CooLMooCoW

If you're talkin' prime as in Sarutobi prime before he hits 50, then yes I agree with that. :amuse

Edit: In any case, surpassing the sannin is a pretty tall order for anyone to fulfill, much less his father that may have been greater then even them. There's no denying he grew stronger after the timeskip, but the younger generation got him beat in terms of rapid growth and, based on Jiraiya's comment, he still hasn't quite made it into the level of Akatsuki despite the heads-up lead that he had. Which is why I kind of see him traveling the Sarutobi route on being the next professor, and that his best years won't come until much later.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  27. Wrath

No. It's just not going to happen. Kakashi's role in the series is to be surpassed by his students, which would be pretty difficult if he himself surpasses someone who surpassed the Sannin.

And look, if Kakashi surpassed his father, then Kabuto - who we all know is on his level - might have to actually be the final villain, because he'd be stronger than Orochimaru..

28. MS81

I think he will surpass his father in later chapters he learn one his father jutsu's or he will perfect his summoning like having giant white dog. hint hint.

29. milk (inactive)

Nope. He's already kinda old and i don't think he can surpass the Sannin. And i think he only trained so hard during the timeskip cuz he felt bad that he couldn't stop Sasuke from leaving. So if Sasuke comes back he migh slack off again.

30. MS81

what kakashi only 28 or 29 why would you say that.