1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

3. Voting is open in the KCC Haiku Contest!
    Entries can be found here.
    The poll closes on August 24th at 2:59pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. img
    Dragon Ball Drawing Contest: Black & White Edition.
    Deadline is on August 30th at 11pm UTC
    Dismiss Notice
  5. img
    Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest 6!
    Deadline for entries: September 08th at 1600 EST.
    Dismiss Notice

Will we get a new anime this year?

Discussion in 'Dragon Ball' started by God Movement, Jan 6, 2019.

New anime this year?

1. Yes

79.3%
  2. No

20.7%
  1. God Movement

A lot of people seem to think so (me included) as there is some pretty good evidence floating around, in conjunction with the fact that Dragon Ball is way too big a money maker not to take advantage of.

So I'll put a simple poll up, which we will revisit at some time this year, to see who was wrong and who was right. There will be no punishment, just bragging rights.

We can also discuss the evidence here

Tags:
  2. Hazard

Flag:
    Mexico
    Catdank Faction:

4. Claudio Swiss

The chance anime coming back seems very likely
    Appearently has on Jan 10 there will be a Dragon Ball Super: Broly screening with Masako Nozawa as the special guest.

Also The Fuji TV schedule shuffling happening in April

5. Louis-954

I think it will return in 2020. Goku is going to be one of the ambassadors for the 2020 Summer Games so they could tie some promotion and fanfare in with that for a good buzz. The hiatus would also give Toyotaro's adaptation a chance to shine and breathe a little bit without the anime either hot on its heals or out ahead of it. I'd like to see Toyo finish this arc and maybe be a chapter or two into the next arc before the anime comes back.

If this anime does come back this year though I hope they adapt the Broly film in order to give Toyo that buffer with the manga.

6. Fang

They don't need another new anime, Super was animated like dog shit and was low quality that went beyond the lowest expectations given modern Toei's animation studio being pretty bad. They should just keep the new "series" as being a series of interconnected films, that way we can appreciate it without garbage level animation, low budget production values, and recycled nonsense along with the whole ANIME VS MANGA debate autism.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. PFM18

I frankly have no idea what that's supposed to mean

8. MShadows Moderator

That means we'd be getting a new DB movie every two years. That's way too much time to wait for not even two hours of content, which might not even be that great :gglife

If they can get at least half a year of pre-production before they start so as to not get behind the schedule like they did with DBS it should be fine. They should also use Shintani's art style and vision and get rid of that fossil Yamamuro. His art style has decayed considerably and it's way too stiff to efficiently animate. Shintani's style is way more fluid and animation friendly.

If the new series has the kind of animation that the ToP had in general then things should be fine, even on average. Another problem that needs to be sorted out is getting rid of the massive pile of writers that don't communicate with each other. Keep only 3 writers and have them build the story details together in order to avoid contradictions. Also, they should be more straightforward with Toriyama and ask him all the details they need to know beforehand.

I can't wait for another 2 years until the next DB animation :noah

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Claudio Swiss

Honestly a movie would hurt more then help TBH

10. JayDZ3

“Sorry have to file my taxes” (Laughs)

:torilol

11. Blade

dragonball after super : soon :

12. Roman

Flag:
    United States
    Catdank Faction:

You're jumping the gun a bit. Yes, the animation was terrible early on, and for am arc that no one wanted because it was retelling what was already shown. However, as time went on, the animation just got better and better, going from mostly acceptable in the U6 tournament arc to oftentimes amazing in the ToP.

The improvement was also quite gradual and consistent, which is outside the norm where the first and last few episodes tend to be animated really well and everything in between is dogshit.

What this tells me is that Toei learned from its mistakes and won't fall for that again. And if Gegege no Kitaro is anything to go by, Toei isn't gonna disappoint if and when a new anime comes up.

13. Fang

The animation was terrible in the Future Trunks arc and just as bad at times in the Tournament of Power which often used recycled animation from the Universe #6 vs Universe #7 tournament, speed lines, and subbing digital scenes like with Hit vs Vegeta to Hit vs Dyspo. The animation quality in general as well as the production budget values were fairly bad even late into the ToP arc. I don't think so. Toei is a studio that can't even manage to make a ONA mini-series with bi-monthly episodes (TWO WEEKS per episode in a single season series like Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold not look like shit) so your assessment is optimistic at best.

14. Gogeta

I don't think we'll get consistently great episodes even if they had 6 months of pre-production

BUT, i do think however that there won't be any abominations like episode 5 or RoF retelling.
    I know, thats still not very good, but at least they are aware they need to make the main fights/transformations look good as fuck.

I'd rather have decent art/animation in a fighting sequence and have their faces melt during still conversations, than have below mediocre art/animation on all fronts.

Again, i think Dragon Ball only deserves the best, so i'm not happy about this either way.

But i'm optimistic in thinking at least we won't have soul-damaging scenes, especially if they adopt Shintani's style

15. OLK

I think we'll get an announcement this year, but I don't see it actually returning until the end of the year or 2020

16. NW

Hopefully.

17. Snake

We don't need one.
    :mjlol

18. Claudio Swiss

Why yes we do look how barren this section been :kanyelul

19. Fang

I think you greatly underestimate how shit Toei treats its slave-labor animators especially the Korean ones. Have low expectations.

20. PFM18

Right. I mean, Shintani's art style should be easier and faster than Yamamuro's to animate. Theoretically, they should be able to put out better animation in higher quantities than last time given the same amount of time to animate the scenes.
    My thoughts exactly.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  21. El Hit

Dbsuperduper will be here at summer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  22. Hazard

i rather have everything else you said than a movie every few years.
    i mean no matter how you look at it , super was entertaining and made money.
    not to mention if a new series comes now it will be better produced.
    i rather even have a weekly manga by toyo than a movie every 2 years or so.
    give us one more movie and ppl will explode wanting a new series.
    they already want it now , how you think it will be after waiting years for another movie?

23. Garcher

Bandai lowered their forecast for DB for the second half of 2019 so I am not very optimstic

24. Jizznificent

I'll say 2020 at the earliest.

25. Samael

I've seen rumors flying around about it and really all we can do is hope, there's things about super I enjoyed so I wouldn't mind honestly. They had recycled animations sure and poor animation here and there but I enjoyed the story telling and how they progressed super.

26. Millón Vasto

I'm no art or animation expert but i agree with @Fang on not needing the anime back.

Its enjoyable but man is it riddled with flaws and god knows how many writers are writing this shit. Its a conveluted mess.

Canon and non canon have been a bitch to figure out. Because there is so much shit inbetween.

There is like 3 things u gotta keep track off and at times combine and at times seperate to make sense of this mess.

Toris outline
    Manga outline
    Anime outline

I mean even this damn movie is a continuity mess. Its post animem but no evolved forms wich caused confusion.

Heck the manga thanx to the aboce is a mess too.

There was an rof manga but that manga turns out to only promote the movie.

Then the super manga skips rof but at the same time cuz mah continuities u cant fucking scale the damn movie.

Then it does the same to the broly movie.

Its a dick move. It combines continuities expecting u to see the movie wich is post anime but then at the same time seperate it from the main continuity if u want no powerscale plotholes.

Im with fang.

Movies only.
    Manga only.

Super is entertaining but a frustrating mess.

27. JayDZ3

So now apparently april is unlikely , july at the earliest

28. Fang

Best case is a compromise:

- Have all future Dragon Ball animated works be a mix of OVA mini-series and movies
    - The OVA series can branch off and continue directly from the Super TV series and films and be put up once a month; that way you can get a 45-60 minute long high budget production value mini-film a month without shitty QUALITY
    - The OVA mini-series can even be expanded to focus on different characters in Super's multiverse; Gohan having his own separate adventures, Vegeta and Goku traveling around doing their own thing with Whis and Beerus, others sometimes tagging along
    - Even have some kind of goofy time hopping antics where GT is somehow canonized just to piss some people off

You can't complain with this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  29. Millón Vasto

Man fang I'm proud of u. I know we aint close and shit and that u dont need these words. But fuck it.

30. xmysticgohanx

Flag:
    Mexico
    Catdank Faction:
    Super anime would be much better than any of that