1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Woman Dies from Power-Cut

Discussion in 'The NF Café' started by Blaquejojo, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Blaquejojo Death Bringer

In Brief:

* Folole Muliaga died two hours after power was cut to her home, disabling her mains-powered oxygen machine

* Her household had fallen behind bill payments to the SOE Mercury Energy since Mrs Muliaga had become sick and unable to work

* However Mrs Muliaga's family has disputed the power bill was overdue, saying the latest bill was not due until June 13

* Mercury Energy said the contractor who disconnected the power was unaware Mrs Muliaga depended on the machine to live

* The Muliaga family said the contractor was told about the machine but said he was just doing his job

* The District Health Board said Mrs Muliaga would not have been sent home if she needed the machine to stay alive

* Mrs Muliaga's son said he delayed calling an ambulance at his mother's request

* SOE Minister Trevor Mallard said he was concerned by the death and asked for an urgent report from Mercury Energy

* Green MP Sue Bradford called for a public inquiry

* Police said the death would be investigated

Tags:
  2. Link Courage

How terrible.:(

3. Halcyon Dreamz Arsonist Choir

That's really sad news. It could've been avoided too :(

4. Blaquejojo Death Bringer

I know. Bloody bastard! How could he be so heartless to kill a woman, then say "I was just doing my job"?

5. Citan Solarian Guardian Angel

thats sickening. i hope the family sues the city

6. Halcyon Dreamz Arsonist Choir

Exactly, some things are just more important than doing your job

7. GrimaH Absurdist

Guys, before you start berating the contractor, consider the fact that the family did not tell him about the woman's medical condition.

8. Blaquejojo Death Bringer

Spot on, man!

Thats wat he said, but the family says they SHOWED him their mother on the oxygen machine.

9. GrimaH Absurdist

I guess it's kinda a "my words against yours" thing then. Neither side had evidence to prove their version of events.
    My bad, it wasn't a fact D:

10. Kira Yamato Genei Ryodan Retired Staff

I seriously find that hard to believe. I can not honestly phantom a family member neglecting to mention something that important and central.

If they didn't mention it, then they seriously wanted their mother dead :oh

In a case of no evidence, let's hope common sense prevails and an assumption that most people in this situation would make a great attempt to let the person know of a loved ones medical condition heavily dependent on electricity.

11. impersonal Banned

No hospital would leave a patient at home if any electricity problem could result in her death. So perhaps nobody knew (including the family) that the danger was serious. I think that, if they thought their mother would die, they would have called a hospital beforehand or would have physically opposed the contractor.

You also have to consider that the contractor's job is to disconnect people, all day long. He must see all kinds of shit, and is probably not impressed when people protest. The family probably protested, but if they didn't mention a risk of death but instead a simple annoyance for the mother, I think it's normal that the contractor didn't care.

12. Cair Guest

That's terrible...:trytocry

13. neko-sennin AKA shadesmaclean

All about the Benjamins, man. The only thing Mercury Energy regrets is that the dead don't pay bills. June 13... they were in that much of a hurry to pull the plug...

I don't know how things are done in New Zealand, but here in America, calling an ambulance can leave you with a $1000+ bill just for that, let alone what the hospital itself might charge for using their oxygen machine. Those bastards left Mrs Muliaga with an ugly choice between her life, and dumping even more crippling financial burdens on a family already strapped for cash.

14. Kubisa Well-Known Member

A terrible way to go.

15. Hemino Hyuuga .Symmetry is Key.

wow... he could have avoided it too... this just sickens me. I have 2 words to say....LAW SUIT!!!!!!!

16. Ember* Advent One

17. Vandal Savage The Magician Supporting Staff

That is truly horrible.

18. raxor Part of the holy council

ahh man, if they knew about her machine and turned it off anyway then they're just on another level of greedy.

19. Renzokuken_Ayee Member

what he said^^

this thread is too bloody one-sided anyways D:

20. Bunnyhat Feed me my Foods

To be fair on the contractor. He has to disconnect peoples power all day long. I would bet he has heard every story in the book and then some.

I'm sorry, but if the family really thought she needed the machine to live, shouldn't they have called an ambulance as soon as he came and disconnected the power.

I can't also believe that a hospital would have let her go home if she really was dependent on the machine.

While I am always saddened by someone's death. I can't see the power company being at fault here. If you don't pay your bills, you don't get the service.

21. Fuujin ̣

That's just downright unfair

22. Yakuza Banned

Shit happens..... but that was unfairly sad.... :mad

23. ydraliskos minimal

Do you think the contractor would put itself in that kind of a corner in purpose?

Hell, even if they were stupid, noone would touch this with a ten foot pole. This is a huge risk for that company.

I am very very sure that the screwup happened somewhere in the middle.

And to be honest, If I had to decide about who screwed up, between either the company as a whole, or the family, I'd definately say the family.

A family of 4 people can be extremely stupid, but a company needs to survive, and companies don't survive by killing their customers.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more something smells. I'd bet money that this is somehow the result of the family trying to screw their way out of paying for something. I don't know what, but something :D

24. Lain doesn't afraid of anything

That's fucking hilarious

"We didn't know that cutting off her oxygen would have any medical dangers..."

Nah man, she must have just been using the oxygen to get high.

25. Immortal Flame Eversoris

I can't really tell who is at fault. It could be the family for failing to mention to the power company that the old lady of the house is dependent on the oxygen machine. The company could also be at fault for still pushing through with the power disconnection despite the fact that they were already told by the family about the old lady's situation. Of course, that's with the assumption that the family did inform the company about the situation.

26. Swimfan908 Great in bed

27. Rain67 destend rival

indeed it is strange

28. Squigi Burdened Drifter

wow... thats just sad.
    seriously, its 2007 and this stuff happens. I though ppl would be more intelligent nowadays. Guess I'm wrong...

29. Blaquejojo Death Bringer

Yes, the family didnt do much, but the mother did tell them not to call an ambulance until the father got home. I'm only guessing, but she may have wanted to die. I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life on an oxygen machine, thats for sure.

As for the bill, they were paying it back slowly because they didn't have enough to pay it all off at once.

And the contractor couldn't have thought they were lying. I mean, its not like anyone can just get an oxygen machine to fake a condition. He's just an asshole, and looked at his job over more important matters = A womans LIFE!

30. Lux inactive melancholy ?

That sucks... Poor woman.