1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Would it be more interesting if Sasuke was the main character and not Naruto?

Discussion in 'House of Uzumaki Archives' started by Troublesome, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Troublesome

I know we get alot of Sasuke anyway but what if he was the main character leaving Naruto as second fiddle.

What if the first episode started with "There was a powerful clan in Konoha, the Uchiha's. One day the whole clan were wiped out by one of their own members... Itachi. But he chose to let another clan member survive. His younger brother.... SASUKE."

Would it work? Is he an interesting enough guy? Would there be a Sasukefan.com?

For example, instead of seeing Naruto learn Rasengan/Summoning with Jiraiya we see Kakashi teach him Chidori. And for the current story we get to see what he is up to with Orochimaru. We would also probably see more flashback interaction with Itachi etc...

And please no Sasgay H8TRZ. :laugh

Tags:
  2. artik

No. Sasuke is not interesting enough for that kind of thing, nor is he the main char type.

3. BattousaiMS

Sasuke wouldn't be interesting as a main character. He is a genius... if you use genius with the similar type of storyline it becomes an underachiever storyline and well that is plain boring. He is a somewhat under achiever anyway, the only reason he doesn't seem so is because most value Itachi too highly, so it's makes Sasuke story more understandable. It also becomes an Inuyasha story with Sasuke screaming at the end of every episode "Itachi!!!!!" like Inuyasha does "Naraku!!!!!".

4. Potentialflip

It would be cool to see Sasuke have the main stage but I like it the way it is now. The mystery of what the heck is happening during his time with Orochimaru. Makes his character look cooler. I like it the way it is. But just to see his story. I would say I would be on and off with the story. Why? The story is just going to be about him.
    - No interaction with the other Characters.
    - Lack of being an all-around character. (Another thing he lacks hahaha)
    - His story is only good as a side-story.

So yeah it will be interesting but for me not as enjoying.

5. link 2 oblivion

No cause Naruto has the Kyuubi in him. Therefore its Kishimoto's idea that he has more purpose to be the main character. Ya we all know both of they're parents were killed, but Naruto's were killed by something inside of himself. Sasuke's is sad also but atleast he knows that its not something inside him that killed them.

haha! beat that.

6. hakke

Thing is Sasuke fits the main character type... Kishi even takes a jab at that remember(shikamaru after Sasuke used CS1)but frankly many just wouldn't follow the series if it was that way. he doesnt have enough impact in the story to be a main character, he just fits the profile...

-He would've died, and a secondary character would've kicked ass(at the bridge)...
    -"hppmt, this written exam is a piece of cake" would be the most boring chapters ever...
    -Would've fainted for a long time(CS1)... proving he's a weaking, or he would've recovered earlier, which would become so predictable.
    -Again, injured during the whole preliminaries... all that interaction with the cast would be lost... either making the following fights forget about him... or very dull because no know talked to him.
    -then he goes away to train... absent again, lacking any interaction with the other genins. -_-
    -then he comes back, better than ever... only to fail defeating the "current badguy" and the comedy relief would kick so much ass at this moment that viewers would WTF? all over the world.
    -Then he would go see his brother, get his ass handed to him and get pissed because he's a weaking.. and AGAIN would be injured and out of the story.

It's not wonder he decided to leave the village, but...
    you see , to see later on that this guy has a bond that strong with the buffon, is what makes him a complex character... and you care for his actions.

so no, just cant just change the name and make Sasuke the main character.

7. Raptor

Na, Naruto is better. Sasuke doesn't appear now and the manga goes on so... besides it wouldn't be the same. The only genious I liked as a main character was Kira from Gundam Seed. This one is fine the way it is.

8. Alia_Atreides

No, a main character has to be funny, sometimes, and Sasuke never is. Also, a main character must have a hard time doing things, and Sasuke is a genius who can do things easily, most times. And, of course, he has no Kyuubi.
    Just what I think... :)

9. Woozie

It would be better IMO, it would add twist to the story if the actual main character became a "bad guy" in some point too, like Sasuke has become

10. Ikari Shinji

11. Woozie

Hellsing is actually my favourite anime series :)

But you can't really compare it with lighthearted Naruto anyway. It's not like Sasuke is going to start ripping heads off even if he was bad.

12. Ikari Shinji

If he was a true bad guy he'd totally torture them within and inch of their life and then walk away

13. Troublesome

Some of you don't get what I'm saying. The main story would change from Naruto (w/Kyuubi) trying to become Hokage to Sasuke seek power and kill Itachi. And yes, he is a genius type but he does have his flaws. I would love to see him training in how to use Sharingan. We've never seen that before.

Also when Sasuke is injured/hospitalised of course we are going to skip those parts, like they did with Naruto, we would see them after they have awoken.

14. Troublesome

Yes, Sasuke doesn't appear in the manga now now becos he isn't the main character. I'm saying what if he was, instead of Naruto story we would get to see what he is doing right now with Orochimaru etc

15. Ikari Shinji

So you're saying you'd rather see Sasuke getting molested by a Micheal Jackson look alike?

16. link 2 oblivion

Wat if he was the main. would it change? Thats the Question.

17. Troublesome

lol. maybe not that. but aren't you interested? What (unperverted things) could they be doing?

18. morgannia

personally. no, i don't think it'd be more interesting & i certainly wouldn't watch it. Sasuke annoys me & the few times in the show when i begin to feel sympathetic for him, he goes & does something stupid that pisses me off again - not the making of a compelling anime.

19. Shen

Jeah I think it would be more interesting,
    But Naruto makes the show much more fun ,Sasuke is sirieus so if he would be the main char I would fall asleep.But naruto keeps me awake with his stupid jokes so
    I enjoy the show more with Naruto as a main char.

20. hakke

again, if we got to see that instead of what Team kakashi is doing... whats the point? We know team kakashi will be alright, and there wouldn't be any expectations... very boring.

If you like sasuke a lot, dont try to change the story that made you like him in the 1st place just because you want to see him now.

21. Naruto206

Now thats a hard answer if Saskue was going to be main chacter and keep his current personality then it won't be totaly intersting I just don't know why I just can't picture myself watching it.Picture the show being called Saskue. But another part of me is saying it would be intresting becuse Itachi his passed and so on.

22. pavister

he is the main character duh =P

23. KuwabaraTheMan

If Sasuke was the maing character I doubt the series ever would have gotten popular enough to last this long. He's not a strong enough character to support a series like this. While it is possible to have a Genius type character as the lead(Echizen Ryoma in Prince of Tennis), it is usually not a great idea. It would pretty much have a completely different theme, and cease being an underdog story.

Instead we'd get the cliched, overused story of person who had village/clan/family/whatever wiped out by their older brother and is seeking revenge. If people wanted that story they'd play an RPG. With a secondary character its okay to have a less then original storyline, but not with the main character.

The only way it would work is if Itachi and the Uchiha Massacre didn't exist at all and Sasuke had something completely different driving, which would essentially change who he was. If Kishimoto was going to do that he might as well have made Young Kakashi or Neji the main character.

24. sonnie_skies

i don't believe so. sasuke is the cool guy, but sometimes he's not very likeable. naruto doesn't really do anything that would alienate him from his audience, nothing that would tear it in two like when sasuke left. naruto's development is always positive, and while i don't dislike sasuke, he's made decisions that have some people really up in arms.

25. Hyuuga Neji

it would be kina monotonous, and less interesting.

went on a mission, kicked the guy's ass

looked for his brother, no success

-----------

and also no pairing on the main character, seriously, they are all over him and he snobs them.

26. Grep

I don't think that it would be as good anymore, and not because it wouldn't be funny. Most anime shows have a theme (well usually a few) to them and Naruto's themes include: Changing for the better, even a genius can be beaten by hard work, protect the people who are important to you. Look at those three examples (and there are more but I just picked three big ones), now does Sasuke represent any of those things, not really (maybe the third), whereas Naruto has changed or at least effected most of the characters he meets he was once a dropout and is now one of the best, and he would gladly put his life on the line for his friends. If it was about Sasuke the show would change and I like it how it is I also think that much of the show would be Sasuke not talking or interacting at all which would be boring.

27. Hitomi_No_Ryu

It'll be like Vegeta being the main character for DBZ.

Prick, Prick, Whine, Whine, Angst, Angst, Vengence, Vengence, Jealous, Jealous, Yaoi Hint, Yaoi Hint, Villain, Villain, Time-skip Love Affair, Time-skip Love Affair, Prick, Prick, Whine, Whine....and so on.

Sounds very boring for a main focus of a show...

28. Jam

Although I find Sasuke?s character to be more interesting than Naruto, I don?t think I would care too much if he were to be the main character. When it comes to anime/manga like Naruto, having an angsty genius for a lead just doesn?t work in most cases.

I agree. Kira is one of the few times I?ve actually felt it worked well. But on a whole, Kira and Sasuke are way different characters. Kira suffered so many open mental breakdowns during SEED it was hard not to sympathize. Sasuke on the other hand, was hard to pity due to almost being inhuman as far as emotional expression goes. Sasuke is probably one of the most hated characters on these forums. Unlike Kira, who was a lot more likeable with the bulk of the Gundam SEED fanbase. The strength of a main character truly lies in if he or she is liked by most fans. If he or she isn't, the anime/manga is probably doomed to fail =/ Kira was just more relateable.

29. Darth Judicar

It would be interesting, yes. Although a time-skip may be due soon after which would maybe lead to the start of the Genin teams forming...

30. Hana

Well I dunno...I like Naruto better personally. I like underdog stories and I like funny main characters. Naruto fits the bill not Sasuke.