1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The World Cup is about to begin, which means it’s time to start proudly repping your country. We’ve created a special new feature for you guys exclusively for this big event! Click here to learn more!!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Anime Awards for 2017 part 2 commences with the category of worst anime of 2017!

Drop by and leave a vote in the following threads: 1 2 3 4 5
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Violate Your Morals to Survive?

Discussion in 'Konoha Country Club' started by DemonDragonJ, Jun 13, 2018.

1. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Most people have a sense of morality that governs how they behave and interact with other people, and those people typically adhere to that sense of morality in any situation that they may encounter.

However, some people may violate their own moral codes if they feel that doing so is necessary for survival, and I am having a disagreement with @Toxic Saiyan on this subject; he believes that I would violate my moral codes to survive, but I maintain that I would not.

My morals are not terribly strict, but they are very important, and I will never violate them for anything; I would rather die than violate my morals, and I believe that anyone who would violate their morals (presuming that they have morals) to survive should be punished severely for doing so.

What does everyone else say about this subject? Would you violate your morals to survive? Why or why not?

Tags:
  2. SupremeKage Sanji>Zoro Fite Me

Could you give an example? Creating a situation might give others a good idea on what they may do.

3. Lina Shields i am disappoint dat...

@DemonDragonJ Come on man, you are asking me some of the trickiest questions here.

In all honesty, I think that the answer to this question needs to come from the perspective of a person who has actually faced this sort of situation.

4. Avalon

"In truth, the man was an oathbreaker, a deserter from the Night's Watch. No man is more dangerous. The deserter knows his life is forfeit if he is taken, so he will not flinch from any crime, no matter how vile."

5. Santi Musanti Niggamoto Moderator

Mexico
    I already have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. Eternal Dreamer The Bored Lolmaster

It's easy to say stuff like that but you can never be sure unless you've been in a situation that could make you do it.

7. Roman Phantom Thief

Japan, Mexico
    Catdank Faction:
    You've admitted that if you discovered your mom adopted you and your (hypothetical) "real" mom met you, youd choose to save your foster mother given the situation. Considering part of your moral code places blood relations above any other kind, you've effectively admitted you'd break that code in that scenario.

@Toxic Saiyan already won :LOS

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Roman Phantom Thief

Japan, Mexico
    Catdank Faction:
    With regards to myself, I don't know tbh. Like others said, you'd have to be put in that kind of situation to know for certain. In all honesty, my morals are quite simple and because of that, I feel like they're rather hard to break. My biggest problem would probably come from having to understand that as much as I can try to be kind to others and help anyone I can who is in need, it is a struggle to help virtually everyone as it is impossible for one person to do so. In which case, it would boil down to what I'd have to choose.

9. Toxic Saiyan Once More... with vengeance

Nigga... didn’t I tell you to put the helmet back on :tiredpepe... who the fuck mentioning me on this shit... fine I’ll edumicate ya again, but boi if you do it again I won’t hesitate to stick my weewee in that lil’ mouth p**** you got dere:ufdup

...Mods, I’m joking plz)

*Ahem*

In any given situation we hold our hearts on our sleeve, our emotions come first, our morals second, let me give you an example...

You are often are given the scenario, “which would you rather save?”

Now let’s pretend this person holds it close to themselves that they would always save a child over an adult. They say so and they mean it true

Now when given the normal situation this is very likely to go as planned if presented in front of them, but of course in real life... there is always a catch or circumstance making morals incredibly hard to stick to.

Let’s give them a time limit. Let’s say... 10 seconds to save either one or the other.
    Now let’s say that adult is your mother or father, and that they will suffer a horrible agonizingly slow death. Makes it hard huh?

Now the kid has terminal cancer, begging to be put out of his misery and bedridden and will suffer a quick, non-painful death, but he has a family that desperately want him safe to live the rest of his days on earth and see to experience his last days, with him and are begging and crying right in front of you and can SEE your decision...

Now you have a massive moral dilemma on your hands. See how bad it can get given the circumstances? With no time or chance to think for “option three”

Would you save the child or the adult :ahmm

I mean I would do neither since I have no parents and a fucking despise kids ever since I picked up a baby and it spit-up/vomited in my mouth (hey new football) but hey, not up to me...:tinkletinklehoy:oldshrug:gabe

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. Nep Nep Bedpost-Kun

Most likely.

Apart from anything that involves killing, why not?

11. Mider T VM Rapist

Pride goes before the fall, a person's true character comes out when faced with serious adversity like a chance of death. You would be surprised what you're capable of.

:rotfl

12. Gin Ichimaru's Shadow 203176

Poland
    If I was amongst enemies.... sure. Eat or be eaten(especially during hard times), that's one of my proverbs

13. Dayscanor The One

DDJ, why do you care so much about what other people think? I think that's where lies the problem, if you're so sure of yourself that you wouldn't violate your morals, then who cares if some other dude doesn't believe you? :nonon

Though I agree with others who pointed out that you can't really be sure of a person's character till they're faced with some very hard circumstances, like a life or death situation. And even then it could just be your survival instinct that kicks in.:oldshrug

And sometimes you can't do much against that, it's just that natural part of us that we can't fully control.

14. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

An example would be if a person was starving (actually starving, not simply very hungry), and another person had food, but was not willing to share it. For me, stealing the food from such a person would not be a violation of my moral code, because I need that food to survive, but a violation would be killing that person to steal that food, especially if killing that person was not necessary for stealing their food.

Another example would be betraying one's friends or family to save one's own life; I could never do something as despicable as that.

15. John Wick I'd like a dinner reservation for twelve.

16. Yagami1211 The Dragon of Dojima

Every person's morals are shaped by life experience. Your morals are different than when you were a kid and will probably be different when you will be older.

Saying you will never betray your ideals is a childish idea. It's good to be optimistic but you have no idea what life will throw at you and how you will react in given time. The morals of one person can change with time, it's not set in stone.

It's like saying you can beat anyone without knowing how strong are your opponents.

Anyway, morality is a subjective concept in the first place. It doesn't exist and it is artificial. If only there was some omniscient power above us who could tell us what is moral and what is not :hmm.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  17. Subarashii Obaa-chan

Poland
  18. John Wick I'd like a dinner reservation for twelve.

Is playing a game with god mode enabled enjoyable? Adhering to your own personal values provides satisfaction when you complete a task.

Morality is subjective but at the same time you can't rely on some sky daddy to tell us what is moral since they've shown capable of being wrong and some actions considered moral in historical and religious texts is immoral and a crime by modern standards, for example enslavement and the idea that women are inherently inferior to men is something that's consistent among religious texts

19. Yagami1211 The Dragon of Dojima

That last sentence was sarcasm and I don't really except something like that anyway.

20. Island In the Sun

Go read Man's Search For Meaning by Victor Frankl.

21. DemonDragonJ Creeping Death

Perhaps I shall, when I have time to do so, and I currently do not have time to do so.

22. Toxic Saiyan Once More... with vengeance

Plus this isn’t even going into any other circumstances regarding yourself and if on that specific day you are in a mood or mindset to even think about defending your morals.

Look at any psychological horror and you’ll see once strong, confident people be realistically broken down by constant bad luck or circumstance to eventually not care about their morals like Oldboy and other mediums. You aren’t always at your 100% or having a clear head on that day to really uphold it.

And especially if you need to survive

23. Sixth Ranger Well-Known Member

25. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

Mexico
    I'll violate anything to survive.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Lewd Lewd x 1
    • List
  26. Lina Shields i am disappoint dat...

Hmm. Mind expanding on your reasoning for this plz? :blobknife

27. Smoke ▄█▀ █▄ █▄█ ▀█▀

Mexico
    I wrote it that way because the only limits to what I'll violate, are the limits that your mind puts on it.

If you can think it, I'll violate it...for survival.

28. Plexa Well-Known Member

Not only are your morals ever-changing, but see when you do something wrong, you're not actually 'abandoning' your morals, so to speak. For example, you might agree that it's inherently wrong to use someone for your own ulterior motives; and you might then go on to do that very thing. But you're not abandoning your morals, because you still believe that what you did or are doing is wrong. It's just that you're going ahead with it anyway. That's essentially what happens when you 'violate' your morals to survive. In a kill or be killed situation, you most likely will kill to stay alive, and you will probably feel awful about it, too. You've not abandoned your morals, because you still agree that killing someone is wrong. Just the fact that you went against your own morals doesn't automatically delete all of your psychological progress and make you a blank slate.

Realistically, in order not to 'violate' your morals, particularly if your morals are quite complex or varied, you need to be thinking about them all the time, you need to have studied every particular scenario in which your morals will be challenged or come into question, and foreseen every possible outcome that obeying or straying from your morals has had. It's not feasibly possible, and it's why humans are so prone to making mistakes. We all do things to hurt people, we all do things that we're ashamed of and wish we hadn't done, and we all do them both consciously and sub-consciously. The key to progress isn't sitting down and formulating a solid 'moral code', as if it it couldn't possibly be fluid, but to focus on your reflexive thought processes, learn from your mistakes, and challenge the inner prejudices and urges which everyone has.

If it were so easy to simply assign yourself a moral code and follow it perfectly with conviction, without ever straying from it due to anger, stress, lust, or anything else, then it wouldn't have been so easy for the Church to become so powerful.

29. Shrike Let's Baby

It probably depends on how dire the situation is, but so far I haven't backed down from my morals. And i've been in a situation where I was threatened with an uzi so :kanyeshrug

30. Toxic Saiyan Once More... with vengeance

Actually that’s a good thought, but really is technically violating your morals means that you’re technically violating...

Yourself? :ahmm