1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Some Pokémon went missing during Easter time. Please, help us to solve this case. Check Detective Pikachu and the Eggstravaganza Case.

Dismiss Notice
  6. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

Wow, the Library is going down the drain....

Discussion in 'Questions & Complaints' started by Sexta Espada, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sexta Espada Kylahullu

Seriously, what is up with the debates today? Half of them turn into nothing but flame wars.

The purpose of a debate is to have two opposing sides argue till an answer is found. In the argument, they are not supposed to just call the other person a dummby and say nothing in response to their post/argument.

Sure, debates can get a little heated, but they should still come orderly to an answer. People here should go back over their manners.

In a civilized disscussion, which is what a debate should be, you don't post big ass pictures telling the other side to go fuck themselves.

Most of the debates in the Library turn into flame wars, with each side posting the same evidence over and over. Then comes the flaming, each side telling the other to shut up and listen. I'll admit, I'm not completely innocent of this myself, but it's not the best conduct for a dissucussion.

What I'm basically trying to say is that this whole forum would be alot better if everybody put on a civilized disscussion instead of a flame war. Would it be so hard to try to be nice to everyone?

Tags:
  2. Drainz master in training.

thats because all the debates nowadays are from the same ideas, over and over again.. with people not getting the idea. i.e. yondaime is AL, obito is tobi, or orichmaru > narutoverse.. and shit like that. so it goes from well thought out points, to flaming juss to get the message across.

3. Sasaki Kojirō Active Member

As far as I know it's always somewhat like that.

Especially on a day like this where all the new things have been discussed to death so it turns into power levels and rankings(because they never get old...).

besides sometimes those little images are funnier than anything that person would post.

4. Spanish Hoffkage Lol. Kisame

The Library is to show the fail of Uchihas :noworry

5. ZE E?E

We need LOTU. He will protect us from the flame wars.

6. The reason is because everyone wants to become either LOTU or Ando ... even me

7. The_Leader Nope, not here!

Don't worry, the monthly multipage argument about something of Sasuke's is coming up if we're on schedule.

Although I have to admit, people are supposed to be like this when we're not getting a chapter in two weeks, not on the tuesday of the week it comes out.

8. The Truth Active Member

If you can't stand the heat then please exit the kitchen in an quiet and orderly manner. These "flame wars" persist because the majority carry biases with them, making a resolution hard to come by. Also people who don't know the differance between speculation and fact make things even worse. That being said this has been the case for more then just recently, so why make this thread now?

9. People aren't "supposed" to be like this -any- time. You are excusing lazyness, and that isnt' tolerable.

Becasue when you have "regular flame war frequency" it's nothing and it seems average. Except, when you have "regular flame war frequency x So_Smart_s0_Dumb's posts" you have a noticable and intolerable increase of flame wars.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2006
  10. The_Leader Nope, not here!

No, perhaps not ''supposed'' but expected is probably a better word.

And I love Warhammer 40K. So hang me, I'm a sinful man.

11. Pyroneko 28 Member

Isn't this more or less what the library is usually like?

12. Sexta Espada Kylahullu

If I just got the idea now, maybe?

I never said it was bad to be biased, just not to flame and try to come to a conclusion. Most of the debates end up with no conclusion, because people can't set aside a hate or like for a character. If they did, we might have more answers to questions we're debating.

And pooper, watch yourself. Don't mess with the higher ups of the forums.

13. The Truth Active Member

You do realize that being biased makes it almost impossible to come to a conclusion, don't you? Since most of what is discussed isn't fact trying, to come to a general consensus is impossible if you have a like/dislike for a character.

14. The_Leader Nope, not here!

A) There are no arbitrary judges in the forums to give rep. People like what you have to say, they give. If not, then they negative give.

Their opinions of you, me, anyone is hit and miss. And frankly, why care about it anyways?

B) He probably gets it, but has enough rep to not matter.

15. atom on a Forums Break

Seriously though. Stop complaining. People do thinks. People act in a certain way. The whole 'REP' System. is a matter of opinion. Someone like The Leader could make a brilliant post and still get flamed for it. Just because people dont like it... conclusion... none.

This is a forum.. opinions are god. And if people dont like yours... tough luck.

16. Pyroneko 28 Member

Rhetorical question -_-

I already know this place is full of relentless fans and that quite a few threads go pages without any real conclusion.

17. The_Leader Nope, not here!

If relying on opinions was important, then we'd all be successful politicians.

...Except for a few select.

18. Spanish Hoffkage Lol. Kisame

Everyone who don't accept Yondaime is the strongest and Uchihas fail shouldn't be allowed to post in the library.

P.S: I'm not flaming.

:noworry

19. Sexta Espada Kylahullu

Yes, yes you can. This is a story, not real life. You know, the framers of the Constitution had many more troubles than this. They still worked out a long lasting plan, which shows no sign of stopping for a while. New countries are in awe of it, and copy it into their own governmental plans. That was real life, and they worked stuff out despite their biases.

But here, a forum for a fictional story, we often can't put aside our biases. Obviously, the Constitution was much more important, but still, we should be able to put aside our biases for at least a moment, if we can come to a likely answer to a question about our story.

20. Ben Dover my right eyes last sight...

This is the most mature thread I've ever read on this forum and it's made by a 13 year old... so there must be hope for us.

21. 4th's Legacy Assistant Ramen Chef

This is teh interwebz dude, not some useful tool to gather intelligent information! Geez.

22. Mikazuki no Mai Dance of the Crescent Moon

This is a thread about how the library is going down the drain, not how the Rep system fails. You are just making this topic make more sense by hijacking it with rants on the rep systems. =)

23. Pyroneko 28 Member

Actually, the whole thing about a debate is that it isn't being correct, but rather to be perceived as correct. Since many of these debates end up with unrelenting opposing sides, each usually having 2-3 spokepeople, nothing gets solved since no one wants to comprimise.

24. The Truth Active Member

The well being and prosperity of a million people isn't on our shoulders. Its just a manga so people are free to think what they want. Then enter a debate and do their best to stick up for their favorite character, right or wrong. Putting aside a bias goes against the nature of what a bias is.

25. Sexta Espada Kylahullu

Thanks guys. You really hijacked my thread. :notrust

And with an unbelievably biased argument......

26. We should get an mirc chat so we can better discuss such things... I have no problem hosting it, unless someone else wants to. I mean, 3 pages in 40 minutes!? Not fucking bad, also, there's +33 people viewing this thread

27. Lain doesn't afraid of anything

Welcome to Forumland.

Guide to the Life and Death of a Forum
    I can bet you my house that at least 90% of all forums (not just anime forums) eventually evolve into a damn madhouse like this at some point in their life. The problem lies within the general attitude of EVERYBODY on the internet. Anybody on the internet, including I, knows that they, as individuals, are right. That wouldn't be a problem if they didn't inevitably run into people with different opinions, who knew THEY were right. When they clash, they realize that the other side isn't going to change their mind, so they resort to direct attacks and insults, aimed at shutting the other side up. So it is no longer a battle of who is right or wrong, but who is loaded with the better insults, you know, the kind that leave the other side totally speechless. Usually, these clashes settle down and die on their own within a week, tops. But when you factor in PMSing with the already stupid internet users, the situation will never cease to escalate, and will continue escalating until nobody feels like going to the forum anymore, or until the people who know they are right finally feel like they are the super-kings of their appointed threads and have been awarded medals, or until someone in power of the forum steps in and wipes out the entire forum and gives it a fresh start... or just wipes it out and leaves it that way (suggested). Now - Those who have the power to wipe out threads, or entire forums, have the ability to delay (or if lucky, prevent) the forum from going down the shitter. All they have to do is pinpoint where threads are getting fucked up and ban everyone contributing the overall retardedness of that thread. And of course, delete the thread soon afterwards. But because they are internet users just like us, they are usually seen contributing to the retardedness themselves, and thus only speeding the forum to its eventual death. In such a case, the problem... will never go away, I'm afraid. So why do we all come to forums? For the same reason they were originally set up: to chat it up, talk about stuff, you know, all the things most humans are able to do well in the real world. But unfortunately, there are things we are capable of doing in the real world that we never will be capable of doing on the internet, one of them being communicating well. Internet forums and people - they don't mix as well as we'd like them to.​

28. Sexta Espada Kylahullu

I said that they were different situations.

And a debate's entire purpose is to find an answer to a question. Biases can be a part of the disscussion, as long as an answer can be reached, one that BOTH sides agree on.

29. Jin-E Well-Known Member

As long as people post in public forums there will be flamewars.

Its unavoidable, really.

I agree that the Library isnt perfect, but just skip the threads you dont like.

30. Spanish Hoffkage Lol. Kisame

sorry, SK, I will compensate. Promise.

You shouldn't make that kind of thread when i'm close. You must know.

Ontopic: Too many biased people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.