1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

X Box 360 Supply.... not enough/ those idots

Discussion in 'NF Archives' started by Heavens Alchemist, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Heavens Alchemist New Member

I've never been a person to pre order things, I just don't. Why should I have to pre order something which makes you richer. But anyway I went out earlier this mourning to get a 360, an all the stores had a line but every store had 10 or 15 consoles and that was it. On top of that like 8 were core.

No one wants the core. So I can't have one because there wasnt enough supplied. All I know is if 360 makes me wait to long, I won't buy one just out of spite.

Sodid anyone else try to buy one but couldnt cause there wasnt enough. As you just read, the stores in my area didnt even come close to being prepared.

Tags:
  2. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

Haha, the Xbox 360 is a JOKE. Look here - the graphics are not great, they're CRAP. You could go out, and buy a video card for your computer under $150 that's better. Sure, it may be the next 'trend' but guess what? If you don't start saving for a new computer or PS3, you're going to be screwed once the year 2007 comes along. That year is the same as when Sony should be releasing the PS3 and may take over gaming as we know it! Nvidia and Sony are combining technologies so advanced, you would literally shit your pants seeing what they can accomplish. the video chip inside of the PS3 will be so powerful, PC gamers will have to buy it if they want the BEST GRAPHICS AS OF THAT TIME and until Nvidia and Sony become one company.

Here's some info to explain what I'm talking about:

Here are the official technical specifications for the PS3, taken directly from Sony:

CPU
    Cell Processor
    PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz[Just a little over what the Xbox 360's is, but everthing else is a lot higher]
    1 VMX vector unit per core
    512KB L2 cache
    7 x SPE @3.2GHz
    7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
    7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
    * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
    total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU
    RSX @550MHz
    1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
    Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
    Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound
    Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)
    Memory
    256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth
    Main RAM 25.6GB/s
    VRAM 22.4GB/s
    RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
    SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance
    2 TFLOPS

Storage
    Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O
    USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
    Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
    SD standard/mini x 1
    CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication
    Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
    Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
    Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller
    Bluetooth (up to 7)
    USB 2.0 (wired)
    Wi-Fi (PSP)
    Network (over IP)

AV Output
    Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
    HDMI: HDMI out x 2
    Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
    Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc Media
    CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
    DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
    Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  3. Aecen *grin*

Sorry but Xbox360 isnt a joke...they just pitched the whole you need a HD tv to make the graphics breathtaking. And by the time ps3 comes out xbox will sell 10 million systems, making them about even with ps3 in the end...and dont talk like ps3 will be godly sense we dont know anyting at all about it yet...im sure their in panic mode seeing how much fanbase xbox has now and are going to try at the last moment to improve ps3.

And I feel your pain...im not about to spend 800-1,300 on a xbox on ebay like most are doing...

4. TheChoji Banned

I stick with Playstation and Gamecube so I really don't give a rat's ass.

5. Scorpio3.14 mmmmm....pi

@ Uchiha_Zero: Sony fanboy says what?

Anyways, to the topic creater. It was pretty much estimated that supplies would be short. Even Microsoft has said this. As far as them being idiots, that remains to be seen. A similar thing happened to PS2 when it came out and it just hyped up the system more and more. The bottle neck supply actually ended up helping the overall PS2 sales after launch, it was the must have item of the holidays even if people had to buy it off ebay for 500-600 bucks (yes, it happened). I hightly doubt the Xbox 360 is gunna get the same results, but the theory is similar. Although Microsoft has said that its not intenionally bottle necking the supply to raise demand, but who really knows with Microsoft lol

The official cause of the short supply is that Microsoft is trying to launch worldwide in a very short amount of time which is gunna cause lower supplies in North America. Anyways, supply should be a lot better in a bit, what you experience (not being able to get an Xbox 360) happened with pretty much every system. When the origional Xbox launch I had to searth dozens of stores to find one and it was the last one in stock and I went first thing launch morning. The same thing happened with Gamecube and PS2 was 10x worse then the Xbox 360 shortage that you experienced. Its a pretty common thing actually.

6. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

^
    Please, do not compare the past to the present. Things have changed. The Xbox was and is better the the PS2, yes - that is apparent. But this time around will be a hell of a lot more different.

What the hell are you talking about? If you go to the Xbox 360's main site, they don't give hardly enough info about it compared to the PS3's.

7. HollowDreamer clurgy of canapotoya

I think its ammusing to read what yall say all these things i got some hook ups from some asian guys and im gonna get the XBOX360 with the whole shabang and a couple of games for like 200 or 300 since my moms boyfriend knows them better hes gonna get a few of them to sell off for a higher price lol scan artist as some people might say lol and hell give me one for free so i dont have to pay jack for it damn im lucky. And when ther PS3 comes out im getting one of them for sure as well im lucky as i might have said a few times.

8. Frieza Destroyer of Worlds

Actually I was impressed with those stats.. but I am not going to pay 500 or more for a console like that unless it is worth it in the long run. And as a university student.. I do not have money to blow on a ps3.. I am going to have to work my ass off to try to afford Revolution.. and the DS is driving me insane because right now there are a lot of good games coming out.

Back to topic.. they were out of xbox 360s in the stores i went to.. I wouldnt buy it tho.. my prof was talking about it. he was not impressed either..he is a smart man imo

9. Dezalanel New Member

lol. That is why I reserved mine back in May and walked right into Gamestop and picked mine up this morning with no wait or line.

10. Aecen *grin*

Hopefuly nintendo learned from its gamecube lessons, and revolution will truely be a "gamers console".

Ps3 will have alot of repeated, boring titles like ps2, but im sure i'll still pick it up (unless its 500+ like many have stated).

11. metalanime I like Tits

yeah, the funny part is that pretty much all the 360s on ebay are stolen, so thats how many people that had reservations are screwed.

12. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

13. Code Zoamelgustar

Well my brother waited in line for a few hours, not sure if he pre-ordered it or not. But was able to get 2 premium package Xbox 360s. Most likely just going to sell them...

14. Mecha-Kisame Buckle up your head belt.

Why are you fanboying in a thread that has nothing to do with the PS3?

Piss off.

15. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

^
    I'm doing this to make the poor guy feel better about not wasting his money. And if you noticed - I'm not a 'fanboy'. Even if I am, the only thing I care about is performance.

Oh, also, my cousin has bought an Xbox 360. He stayed on the line for hours trying to set up the Xbox Live. Obviously, everyone is having trouble getting the console to even operate at it's maximum capability.

16. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

i laughed when they said to get quake 4 for pc instead of Xbox 360 if u can lol ( gamespot)

but in all seriouniess Perfect dark is basically the best launch game for Xbox360. AS for the online thing yes Xbox's online service is alot better than Ps2's. but IMO i think Revoultion's/ DS's will top it .

17. Uchiha_Zero ◆ڴniper◆ 

^
    Haha, did you see the Revolution's controllers?:laugh

18. Tayuya (the banned one) S-Ranked Evil Bitch

O no you didn't , did you try to diss the magical revolution? I'm going to be busting caps.

/bored

This thread is going to turn into a flame war >_>

19. HollowDreamer clurgy of canapotoya

The only thing i have a problem with is how much the games cost arent they like $60 dollars? if so thats kind of crazy the console cost enough already but $10 more dollars for the games i dont know about that crap.

20. Ssj3_Goku Hey dood!

sorry but if i want the same old games just better graphics and same controllers and same design i would not be in this section of the fourms for this gen ... but thx to the DS and Revoultion i can count on some differant type of gaming :)

sorry i did not want to turn this in the flame war but he started it :p

21. yatesl Member

*ducks under flames being thrown everywhere*

The 360 is the first console in the next gen, and you can see it was hyped, so any smart person who wanted to make sure they could get one would pre-order. It goes the same for everything. Look at the PSP. In the UK, hardly anywhere had them during release week, due to people pre-ordering.

I don't see how we've got onto a Nintendo, or even Sony, discussion in a X-Box 360 thread. They all have their pros and cons. Let them buy whichever one they wish. I'm not a huge fan of the X-Box (the original didn't have many games that I liked), yet you don't see me flaming it and saying "Ps3 >>>>>>>>>>> CRAPbox 3SUX0" or anything.

22. ruffgoat I don't want a custom title

The reason they do this is because if they give low supply of xbox360, the news will come out that they are all sold out on the first day. All the moronic kids will be like omfgwtfbbq!!! and they will tell their parents they must have the console if it is selling that fast it must be that good.
    Low supply coupled with high demand will yield higher demand

As for myself, ive had many problems with my xbox, as opposed to none with my ps2 and i enjoy my ps2 games more than my xbox ones. So i will probably hjold out for a ps3 at launch and maybe later get an xbox360 when the price goes down in a year or so and when there are better games than the crap lineup they already have.

23. Wing-Zero Whoa!!!

i was laughing at my friend *i dont have money to buy a 360 T_T* he was waiting in line and there where 20 360's and he was 23rd in line he was so angry

24. CrazyMoronX Old Man

I'm not too worried about the stock issues, since I'm not going to be purchasing an Xbox 360, in the event they get some good games, I may consider it, but that will be a long time from now, when the prices have dropped.

As for the bickering going on in the thread, well I could care less. PS2 > Xbox, as far as I am concerned. I'm not impressed with flashy graphics.

25. NeoSlayer666 666 the number of the BEAST

ok its $50 a year, hardly a rip off by ANY means considering the awesome interface, ability to track friends playing any game, voice chat in all games, and being able to play all games online [the ones that offer it obviously] Have you ever seen Xbox live? Maybe you should go check it out...... I mean if ur a big PC guy/gal u should know that its like paying for a Vent server and an MMORPG in price comparison lol (that actually costs more). ALSO, you do not have to buy an adapter to play Xbox live, you need a freaking Ethernet cable and a modem, the PS2 is the system that requires buying an add on [cept for the new models like u said]

Thats funny I set mine up in about as long as it took to enter my credit card info...........

Now I don't mean to sound like I'm flaming but I just needed to put those facts out there about Xbox Live.

As far as the thread goes, it is totally a gimmik to hype up the 360. Granted all it does is make people that waited to long regret their procrastinating ways. I have enjoyed my 360 so far, Perfect Dark Zero is the shit. Sure not a ton of launch titles are that great, but no biggie. Also the $60 game price isn't that big of a deal, considering nintendo did that with 64....anyone remember that? lol. But yeah, I'm a hardcore gamer and cannot wait for PS3 and the Rev. As far as I am concerned you get the most out of gaming by not being a fanboy [ I especially have a deep seeded hatred for ones that say "Bill Gates made it I don't like it!" I mean WTF do you think the other damn video game companies want to do, not take your money?] But the systems to me are as follows.....

360 = multiplayer BEAST
    PS3 = Single Player Utopia
    Rev = Totally obscure games and Nintendo games :D

26. Blue Well-Known Member Supporting Staff Retired Staff

Hm, so the PS3 is delayed by a year? And we've not much idea what it'll be like in the end anyway?

What the hell ails you people? Just save up your allowances and get both.

If only to burn one of them in effegy.

I'm splitting the cost of a 360 with my roommate, although save DOA4, I doubt I'll want to play anything on it. But that's just me. Obviously if I liked shooters or racing games, I'd be excited.

27. SUSHI KILLER 4000 RULER OF ALL SUSHI'S

wow.....there are some arrogant people in these boards. First off, because you didn't pre-order your system and tried to go 8am when alot of the stores were opening at Midnight was your loss. Did you really think you had chance to pick one up? Second, Microsoft was doing a world launch so they had to make 3 million systems. Have you ever seen 3 million systems in one factory? and think of the scope and man-power it takes to ship these systems to the right area. Also, Figure that every game shop, every wal-mart, every best buy, every target will have Xbox 360 systems in their stores throughout the country. Do the math.

Also, whether you guys like Xbox 360 or not is entirely up to you. I know there are some beyond crazy fan boys out there, but its straight up naive to say that the Xbox 360 isn't a powerful system likes of which will give sony some trouble.

I love both systems and would love to spend the money on a 360 but I can't afford it.

Here are the specs for Xbox 360:

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU

* 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
    * 2 hardware threads per core; 6 hardware threads total
    * 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core; 3 total
    * 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
    * 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance

* 9 billion dot product operations per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor

* 500 MHz
    * 10 MB embedded DRAM
    * 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically-scheduled shader pipelines
    * Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance

* 500 million triangles per second

Pixel Fill Rate

* 16 gigasamples per second fillrate using 4X MSAA

Shader Performance

* 48 billion shader operations per second

Memory

* 512 MB GDDR3 RAM
    * 700 MHz DDR
    * Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth

* 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
    * 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
    * 21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance

* 1 TFLOP

I/O

* Support for up to 4 wireless game controllers
    * 3 USB 2.0 ports
    * 2 memory unit slots

HD Game Support

* All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
    * Standard definition and high definition video output supported

Audio

* Multichannel surround sound output
    * Supports 48 KHz 16-bit audio
    * 320 independent decompression channels
    * 32-bit audio processing
    * Over 256 audio channels

Compared to Ps3's specs, this system holds up well. Having 3 core 3.2 power PC's which can do 2 independent threads each gives the system 6 threads. Each 3.2 power pc has the capabilities of Branching Prediction and general computing power. To put this in perspective, one of these chips are in a iMac g5 but it runs at 2.0ghz compared the 3.2ghz that runs on a 360.

The Playstation 3 has one reduced version of the 3.2 power pc unit and 8 SPE's. (one use will be used for redundancy). We don't know the power of each SPE. The SPE's only lack one big problem...NO BRANCH PREDICTION. So it would take a large performance hit to do any branch operation and in a videogame...there are ALOT. What the playstation 3 has that is a advantage over xbox 360 is physics. The PS3 is a FLOPS machine, likes of which we have never seen and that no home pc can do. The ps3 has better stream line capabilites which is why CELL is going to be used in HDTV's.

Best way to put it, Xbox 360 is an overall balanced system compared to Ps3's physics heavy systems.

now onto the graphics card:

1) we don't know anything about the rsx, only that odds are its going to be a modifcation of the GTX7800 running at a higher Hertz that the PC version and fabricated on 90mm process compared to a 120mm. There is nothing else we know. The ps3 runs on 2 different ram types (256 megs at 3.2ghx and 256 at 700hmz). and It all depends how the graphics card can use the 512mb of total memory.

THe ATI card that is in the xbox 360 is no slouch. Its uses unified shaders which seems to be the future of graphic cards. But the biggest trump card which I don't know how important it will be is the 10mb of embedded ram on the ATI die. this means bandwidth of 256mb\s. With 10mb of ram, you probably think it means nothing, but developers are claiming that 10mb is just enough to run 720p at 4XAA with NO PERFORMANCE HIT. To show you how much embedded ram can make a difference. These ps2 has 32 megs of ram and 4mb of embedded ram and yet we have games like GOD OF WAR.

There some other advantages and disadvantages, but Its clear that xbox 360 is no slouch and the fact that developers only had 5 months with the system is probably the reason for the poor graphics. ALSO, how many of these systems are really using the foundation of a ps2 / xbox game and bumping up the graphics. When making a next-generation game, you need to start with a foundation that is next-generation. Half these titles were made for ps2/xbox and then they started to use the xbox 360's power to give it more polish. These games weren't made for the xbox 360 from the ground up.

Also, I doubt they are fully using each core (remember, the xbox has 3 cores). This takes time to fully utilize since multi-processors are a bit tricky.

The ps3 will run into the same problem and even though developers will have more time before the launch. People will say the same thing, "why aren't these games looking that much better than 360". First off, maybe because developers need time to tap a system and 2) because they are really closer than you think.

So please don't open your mouth unless you know what you're talking about. There are threads and threads of console fanboyism everywhere I go and some of them don't even know what you're saying. An education person with a background in computers will see different just from the specs alone.

This console battle will be interesting.

btw, this is coming from a sony fan boy.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  28. icoselitham Lost

Yea thats a bitch. Someone told me that they reservered there 360 at Best Buy, but Best Buy ran out of 360s so he has to get his next week. I find that somewhat dumb how the store would let you resevered it then not have one to give you.

29. Jink Kid :thumbs

sorry but your a flippin idiot, graphics dont make the game

30. Ah B Member

My brother preordered one back in October, :p.