1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Forum Skin Contest:

Let us know if you’re participating or would like to participate in a forum wide skin contest. If so, please give us your opinions here.

Dismiss Notice

Yes, yes, he *IS* a boy, see...! Sheesh!

Discussion in 'Naruto Translations' started by Iwanin, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Iwanin Member

I translated the sidebar text on the last page on 283 ... and yes, there is no room for doubt, as there is no other character suddenly attacking Naruto this chapter.

"The same forhead protector... however, a perplexed Naruto is enraged at the unknown boy's sudden attack! Also... what is Sai's aim in provoking him!?"

Case closed, coffin nailed shut. :tem

Tags:
  2. IronFist Alchemist 360 BOOTY CLAP!

3. Core Member

I don't see how you can get out of Sai being a boy on this one.

4. mr_shadow Minister of State Security Moderator

Why, why?! Kishimoto used to say that most characters are male, becouse he thinks hes bad att drawing girls. Yet somehow all the supposedly "male" characters end up looking uber-feminine.

He should make the Akatsuki Leader a girl, just to confuse the readers further

5. Iwanin Member

You know what's really funny and ironic, though? Unless I'm much mistaken, Sai actually taunts Naruto by asking him if he has a penis.

(Non literal version):

Naruto: Who the hell are you!

Sai: You're not very... strong, are you? You sure you have a penis?

(Literal version):

Naruto: You! Who are you?

Sai: Your power... weak... yet, you have a penis attached?

Then again, I always usually see the word censored, even in hentai, so maybe there's a new meaning to "chinpo" I'm not familiar with... :S

I need me some Nihongaeri confirmation... :p

6. Malthara Leaf Ninja

Ya narutos never seen him and he's at a distance he probably just assumed he was a boy like he assumed haku was a girl. until sai says it himself or some better source it cant be proven. Not that I care but that was just naruto's assumption.

7. Dyroness x

All hopes, crushed. But then, we saw his figure better.
    Thanks! ^_^

8. Iwanin Member

It's not Naruto's assumption, it's the assumption of Kishimoto and the Shounen Jump Editors.

They could be wrong, though, :sclap

9. earthshine Banned

i hope he isint one, otherwise he will be even more fagishly dressed than haku(a bellyshirt??!!, *throws up*)

10. uncle jafuncle sustenance proxy

I told you so...

11. MangoNaruto TLC

Keep in mind on one thing, Naruto have had gotten the gender of the sex wrong before. Now imagine this, this time Naruto mistakes a girl for a guy. Not saying that is and will be the case but there is still that little glimmer of chance.

12. Malthara Leaf Ninja

Kishi's not making the assumption he's portraiying what he wants his character naruto to assume. and the editors just put what kishi put. ...what a mean smiley im hurt.. :sad

actually I dont really care, whether he's a boy or a girl but i figured we were talking about the line naruto said not the side text though could still be a girl if they want us to think that he's a boy for awhile until revealed, that's usually the common gender but as someone said everytime we speculate about someones gender they turn out boy.. lame no great girl ninjas. :sad

13. Neji48972 I do want a custom title

Whoever said fact is stranger than fiction? Its official, Kishimoto is gay! Why would he make Sai wear a belly-revealing costume? That's just sick.

14. bongcai Hokage currently working as

He's wearing a weird shirt though, showing his tummy.

15. Iwanin Member

That's one interpretation, but mine's more reasonable, I think. In the sidebars, he's talking directly to us, the readers, and so if he wanted to keep his own character's confusion going, he could have just used a gender neutral term for Sai.

The question of his gender is not even an issue because, as you can see from the drawings, his body is clearly that of a boy.

The only thing that has people doubting/going up in arms is the bare midriff... get over it! It's manga! Don't tell me you haven't seen anything like this before! :laugh

16. njt Can I get an ossu?!

Yeah, I guess you could call it a taunt in a way, he's just asking naruto's a man or not (since yeah, that was a weak hit...)

and yeah, チンポ is penis... ._.

17. Iwanin Member

Thanks Taylor! :)

I'd just never seen the word in manga... I always see チン○ =P

18. hatsuka Jailbait Anonymous

My translation is basically, "don't you have any balls?" That's the American way of saying it. In kyoto, we do use that phrase, and chinpo isn't as bad as it used to be.

19. ouroborus 団扇祭

That's what I figured before, Naruto would say he wouldn't be fooled again only for Sai to say "I'm a girl" as she walks away.

However, unless Nihongaeri can find something different, between the last page and the sidebar its becoming more likely that Sai is guy. :sad

If its the editor's point of view or Naruto's point of view, it might be stretching it. If Kishimoto is holding onto his mind game then maybe its a red herring, but at this point it sounds like it can be taken as 99% evidence that Sai is a guy. (I can always hope this is another example of a sidebar being wrong.)

Why Kishimoto! Why? :crying

20. ratfox Panda Power

I actually thought about it. I'm not sure the sidetext is from Kishimoto,
    so it still could be some guy in Shounen paid to write a sidetext for
    each manga, making assumptions...?
    Most probably, I'm still hoping the impossible.

Anyway, it is certainly an objective of Kishimoto to confuse us on the subject.
    That's why I was suprised when the sidetext put it so bluntly.

21. Lucifer Banned

oh well... I think too, Kishimoto is really japanese pervert... Naruto is a Hentai. :O
    I will seen in future... Sai want to see Naruto's dick. YAOI!

22. Nihongaeri 大阪命!ナニワ最高!

I too considered using a phrase that uses "balls" in my translation, but the problem is that that would be more of a reference to one's "guts"... Their 度胸... Their 根性...... That's not really what "chimpo" is a reference to here, since it's moreso just a jab at Naruto's masculinity.
    Technically speaking, "chimpo" is a childish word, but if it (or "chinko" or "chinpoko" or the like) is used in a risqu?/sexual manner (as it is much of the time), it's not all that uncommon to see it edited like that, or bleeped out on TV for that matter.

23. hatsuka Jailbait Anonymous

I refuse to believe that Kishimoto intended "penis" literally, cause that's just... lewd. That's why I chose "don't you have any balls," because that's the american phrase, right? It's like.... are you a man or aren't you? (slightly hypocritical coming from Sai, but whatever.)

24. Nihongaeri 大阪命!ナニワ最高!

He undoubtedly meant it literally, in a way of speaking, although the question is rhetorical in nature. It is a jab at Naruto, taunting him and questioning whether he is a man or not. It is rhetorical because Sai already knows the answer to the question, but it's not figurative. It means what it says. Although, an alternative translation of the line that doesn't include reference to reproductive organs would be "Are you really a man?". Indeed, while it would change the nuance, the overall intended meaning of the Japanese phrase there wouldn't really change if the line were instead 「それでも男か!」.

But what I was pointing out is that "Don't you have any balls?", in English, isn't a question as to whether one is a man or not, but instead questions whether a person has any "guts" or courage (which is of course incidentally a quality many times associated with men, and thus the idiomatic usage of "balls"). On the other hand, to the best of my knowledge, anyway, "chimpo" is never used to refer to one's "konjou".

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  25. Iwanin Member

I'm not a native Japanese speaker, but I do know Japanese and I'm the closest you'll get to a foreign native English speaker, and I can tell you that Nihongaeri's right, actually.

As he points out, "balls" or lack thereof, refers to a person's courage and disposition to endure something difficult or to take a chance... and though it's mostly used by men and on men, it can definitely apply to women and even organizations (example 1: "Sony showed a lack of balls by settling the class action lawsuit against it." example 2: "Indira Ghandi was a woman with a lot of political balls.")

So in no way are you explicitly questioning a person's masculinity, although someone may question your lack of balls to indirectly question your masculinity.

Now, as Nihongaeri also pointed out, a perfectly feasable translation is "Are you a man or not!?", if you wish to leave the term "penis" out of it.

The term "penis" however, is in no way lewd, though asking a man if he has a penis or not is definitely rude. In fact, the term balls is far more vulgar than "penis", which is scientific and therefore neutral. "Cock" or "Dick" would be vulgar (more than balls, which is rather tame nowadays, if modern usage is anything to go by).

Hope this clear things up! :)

26. Terumaru Phoenix of the Hidden Blaze

Well whatever it is, thanks ^^

27. Monna Malicious Miraculous Malevolent Maelstrom

I'm starting to get sick of all of these feminine guys. They piss me off. lol

28. hatsuka Jailbait Anonymous

Ah, but you see, I happen to be a native japanese speaker :wink

Manga can be vulgar, sure, but we really haven't seen Kishi write something like that before, if we have, I just don't remember it. Yes, penis is said, however, in japan, that phrase doesn't mean "do you have a dick or not," it would be less extreme, and the closest I could get it to english. But kudos on the detailed explination of what balls are. :lmao

29. Nihongaeri 大阪命!ナニワ最高!

If it is not a literal, albeit rhetorical, question, then what are you suggesting it's figurative meaning is?

30. hatsuka Jailbait Anonymous

Sai was referring to Naruto's manhood. However, I simply quail at the notion that vulgarity would ever permiate the Naruto world, and thus become a tangible incident, breaching the laws of common decorum in the manga community!!:omg