1. img
    Take time to sit, get comfy, and watch the leaves fall...
    Come and join us in our forums Falling Autumn Event!
    The deadline is on September 25 at 10pm UTC.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. img
    Come vote in the first ever Café Banner Contest!
    Deadline is September 23th at 4:42 PM EST.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice

Yikes, the Jounin/Chuunin of Konoha aren't that bright, are they?

Discussion in 'Konoha Library Archives' started by Donald, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Donald

So, after last weeks chapter, most of us theorised (correctly) that the cause of the voodoo Hidan was using was due to him licking blood and that funky circle he stood in. We also correctly assumed he'd try to break the curse by stepping out of the circle.

Now, if we could deduce this from a mere glance, it goes to reason that for people who do this for a living it should have been obvious from the start, right? So why the hell are Asuma and useless Chuunin 1 and 2 so damn impressed with Shikamaru? His plan was so simple a retarded penguin could have figured it out in the middle of epileptic seizures, yet everyone stands there in total awe of his plan. Not even Asuma realised what was going on before Shika gave him the play by play.

Seriously, this chapter just reflected poorly on all of them.

Tags:
  2. ikra

its like you looking at a football match and criticizing every single player on the pitch... when in fact if your the one on the pitch, youd shame yourself for what you have said.

shika is like the michael jordan or the pele or the maradona of the manga... theres always one person who outstands (in this case intellectually)... we can see how goals are scored and dunks are made, we say we can do that, but can you really in real life circumstances??? i guess not.

3. Ofkinheimer

4. Grrblt

We had seen Hidan pierced with a stick through his heart twice before. We had several days to figure out. We have several comments on how Hidan can't die, so we had plenty of reason to believe he was some form of death skills. We get everything pointed out to us by manga pictures (from carefully chosen angles) that we can study for minutes, while everything happens in a few seconds to them and they can't go back to see it again.

5. Efernand

Lets see if you guys can figure it out while 2 guys try to kill you.

6. Splintered

This fight has probably been going on for a barely five minutes under high pressure situations. We get weeks to look at in manga panels, even get cool little close ups on important things. It's not as easy midbattle.

7. chauronity

Grrblt summed it up really nicely; - listen to him.

8. S.O.T.R.S

the difference between reading the whole thing in the comfort of ur room and the pressure in the middle of battle is totally different.

like, i watched countless bloody violent films my whole life, yet when recently i witness 2 guys beating the death out of each other...i was totally stunned.

9. Troublesome

OK, then figure out how to kill Hidan then.

10. Seelas

Bear in mind that while we've seen a lot about Hidan already, Shikamaru hadn't. Shika wasn't present when Hidan/Kakuzu were fighting Yugito, or Chiriku, or anything prior to him showing up at the bounty office. His plan to defeat Hidan was simple but his being able to figure out what the source of his curse was, on such limited information, was pretty impressive imo.

11. Pyre's Plight

He was giving the readers the play by play for those not smart enough to get it. This happens all the time.

"Why do the pictures have X's on them?

"Kakashi sensei...I still don't understand..."

Shika isn't going to turn to the readers and go, "Okay, this is what happened..." Too troublesome.

12. Donald

So, because it's a high tension situation and people are trying to kill each other, they can be excused for not grasping the situation? Had it been people like you or me, i.e civilians with little experience with bloodshed and fighting, i'd be inclined to agree with you. This is the equivalent of a police officer standing by completly stunned however, and that is an indication of someone who sucks at his job. These people aren't supposed to choke, or panic, they are supposed to think of ways to diffuse or neutralise a potentially hostile situation. Their whole lives are centered around violence and murder, saying that they can't think clearly under stress is either bollocks or implying that Konoha pretty much gives anyone chuunin rank.
    It's one thing if this had happened to inexperienced chuunins, but those are not the type of chuunins you send to assaniate two akatsuki.

What irks me the most is that Asuma himself was relativly clueless about the whole thing, and he's a jounin for pete's sake, hell, an elite jounin even (if i'm not misstaken). People rank this guy below only Gai and Kakashi, and he still didn't figure it all out.

13. Odlam

We had a week to think about it, Shika has 5 seconds

14. Seelas

Another good point - it becomes a little unclear when the story is paced slowly as Kishimoto likes to do it, and when the chapters are coming out only a week at a time, how little time is actually passing between each frame and chapter during a fight sequence. 5 seconds might be an exaggeration, but Shikamaru probably had a LOT less time than one would initially think to put this all together. It probably hasn't been more than two minutes since Izumo and Kotetsu's ambush.

15. Yaro

We also had nice still-frame close ups of the major points of the jutsu. Plot no jutsu tells us that every frame is important in some reason. Shikamaru had to notice things while attacking Hidan and keeping an eye out for Kakuza, seeing it all through a melee, a cloud of fire, etc.

16. sayam

I wonder if you ever knew why hidans schyte was 3 bladed. And yet you have all those weeks we've seen hidan to try to figure out. As far as I know, I haven't seen anyone even mentioned the real reason. And what did shikamaru do? he did what we couldn't do in like 4-5 weeks plus a little more, in like 2 min. and It was more or less accurate.

17. Devilguy

I agree with Donald regarding Kishimoto's lack of creativity.
    The two cannonfodders, Asuma and Hidan had to look quite stupid just to make out Shikamaru to seem super intelligent by comparison, which was very contrived. And the so-called genius' plan simply consisted of using his signature moves... Such advanced tactics!!!

18. Omni

We have the advantage of time and foreshadowing. He doesn't have those.

19. PolarFrog

I dunno about you guys, but I was kinda disappointed when Shika "figured out" how Hidan's jutsu worked. Like, everyone was so impressed that Shika was able to figure out something this simple. All this chapter made was make the other 2 ninjas (forgot their names) look kinda...dumb...I mean Shika had to spoon-feed them how the ennemy's jutsu worked...which was already kinda...obvious no?
    I mean, other than Shika having the "right" justsu to counter it, I don't see why anyone else could not have figured it out...

Well, maybe there's more of that jutsu since the circle is still on floor, maybe Hidan is only "immortal" when the circle is there, i dunno.

But, anyways, that's just my opinion, I hope that the next couple of chapters will allow Shika to show more of his "analytical skills" and not just his "common sense skills"

20. KruL

Your suppose to talk bout the new chapter releases in Konoha Telegrams :x

But ya, it was to "easy" for shika.

21. Ofkinheimer

Common sense?

It took many of us weeks to figure out the relationship between the circle and Hidan and it took Shika a couple of minutes in the heat of battle......And we even had the advantage of seeing Hidan in several fights before.

22. Sexta Espada

It's rather impressive he found that out so quickly. This battle, in manga time, couldn't have been more than a few minutes. Most people on the forum have the time to look at pics over and over, before they make theories.

To discover a thing so quickly, never seeing any jutsu like that before, has only been something Haku and the Sharingan can do so far, and it's very impressive.

23. opie

I agree with you... Hidan's technique wasn't so complicated, made me kind of dissappointed that this battle was so short and easy.
    But i bet kakuzo is going to give a hell of a fight :)

24. uncle jafuncle

if i saw you post how hidan is going to be taken care of about 3 weeks ago, i would've propped you today. when you say today that it was simple, this is after your read chapter 325. i'm glad you got it after you read it my friend.

26. Delta Shell

Nah, it still didn't seem that impressive for Shika to figure it out, it was all kinda obvious.

Yeah I know in a matter of a minute and under pressure in battle conditions blah blah blah..but still.

27. MF NaruSimpson

i thought the 3 blades explanation was kinda weak...

28. Naruto674

I made a good duess right after the chapters before (once he transformed) that the circle helped with the "curse". I thought it was obvious, which is kinda lame.

Kakuzu will either throw Hidan's head to the side or reattact it. If he does take him for the bounty, then that would just suck and that isn't very Akatsuki like if you ask me.

Kakuzu will fight next and i see some death from him and some reinforcments to save tem Asuma

29. TenshiOni

Well, in a "real-life" situation, I guess most people wouldn't have noticed the whole blood thing.

30. Delta Shell

The worst part was how "shocked and awed" the two cannon fodder dudes were. It was like go away and carry some papers.