1. Halloween Drawing Contest is happening now!
    drawing contest 04
    Click [HERE] to join up
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

You have to watch this one (The English Patient)

Discussion in 'Konoha Theatre' started by martryn, Feb 12, 2005.

1. martryn

Winner of nine, count them, nine academy awards. The Years Best Film raves Time Magazine. Winner of the 1997 Best Picture of the Year. That's right, its the ENGLISH PATIENT.

Seriously, call me a queer, but I seriously love this movie. All the characters are well thought out. Juliette Binoche's best movie since Blue (a French film, coincidentally). Willem Dafoe is in it. You get to see Kristin Scott Thomas naked (okay, okay, so she's like 40 something)

The movie is based in two parts, and consists of a dizzing array of flashbacks. No sentence in the movie is wasted (I've watched it like 20 times in two years, have read the book, and the script twice, I know) so you have to listen carefully to all the subtext in the actors' words.

One part of the movie takes place at the end of WWII, where the nurse Hana is taking care of the English Patient, a pilot who was shot down and is really badly burned. Its obvious he is dying. The two isolate themselves in an Italian monastery so he can die in peace. They are interrupted by the arrival of other people touched by the war, including a thief hired to disarm partisans, and a sapper (a bomb guy) from India (played by the Iraqi on the hit tv series Lost).

The other half of the movie takes place prewar. It centers on a desert expidition based out of Cairo for the Royal Geographic Society. The leader of the expidition, Count Almasy from Hungary, has to come to terms with the growing feelings of love he feels for the expidition's newest aerial photographer's wife, Mrs. Katherine Clifton.

The movie is awe inspiring in the emotional sense. I was numb when I finished watching it. I cried for like two hours straight, sobbing, why? Why?

Anyone else see this masterpiece? *Sigh* Who am I kidding? No one's going to even respond positively to this thread at all. That's okay. Bring it, sukkas.

Tags:
  2. ghostgal

saw it, in English class, I liked it, but seriously, that teacher was probably just looking for a way to see it. we were 9 year olds...>< didn't understand too much , even less of that underneath the underneath....

3. jkingler

I didn't really like the movie. In fact, I hated it. I didn't care for the characters and I looked forward to their deaths. The ones who didn't die--they pissed me off even more. Sorry to disagree with you when it comes to your fave, dude :sweatdrop

But I did really like Cold Mountain, by the same director. I thought it was brilliant, beautiful,and well acted. Off-topic? Maybe. But it is true.

In closing, TEP just rubbed me the wrong way. *Shrugs*

4. martryn

Damn, replies. And after almost four months. Whoopee!

Who the hell shows this movie to 9 year olds? Your teacher is a douche. You should watch it again now that you are older.

You are STOOPID! I hate JOO!

But Cold Mountain is a great movie, I give you that. It had the same effect on me as the English Patient did, but to a lesser extent.

5. mow

English Patient is brilliant. I could not understand for the life of me why so many people dislike it!

6. jkingler

I am not sure why I hated TEP and its chars so much, but damn--when they died I smiled. I was like "FINALLY!" To the same extent that I loathe The Great Gatsby, I abhor The English Patient. It is part of my Pantheon of Hated Media.

7. martryn

Damnit, j, how many times are you going to disappoint me? The Great Gatsby is one of my top 5 favorite books. *sigh* Geez, we are no longer 99.7% the same person. We are but 94.2%.

8. jkingler

I know. The Great Gatsby thing came up long ago, though :p Old news, old dissent.

Why not tell me your fave TV show? Then we will see if your top 2 is my bottom 3 :laugh

O well, have to go now. Later dude.

9. mow

:amazed

joe ;____;

10. jkingler

Haha, sorry dudes. I just hate those two. Hate--pure and simple. I can't explain why so well as I can spout hate-speak, so I will desist from any sort of detailed explanation. Off to eat. Later, fellas :laugh

11. DragonHeart52

:S I am so going to die here.

After a PM, I placed The English Patient on my list of "to watch when I have time" movies. I rented it and watched it this past weekend. My favorite character was Kip, the Sikh sapper. I do understand why you liked it, Martryn. Easy to identify with the Count?

I appreciated how people went from being people to enemies based solely on their country of origin once WWII broke out. It was probably one of the more interesting twists of the plot of the movie.

Overall, I came out neutral after watching this one. I don't particularly hate it, but I can't say that I'd recommend it or watch it again, given the opportunity.

12. TDM

I saw it once. All I remember is a guy's shriveled face.I'll try to get to it sometime...

13. G. Hawke

Hated it.
    Fell asleep within a the hour.
    Sorry to disapoint.
    Accedemy Awards means nothing to me.
    I hated Titanic as well.
    Left the cinema halfway along the movie. :D

14. martryn

18 months late replying to this, but better late than never.

I'd say, if I could pick several: Grey's Anatomy, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Firefly, Lost, Heroes, Jeopardy, and Gilmore Girls. Oh, and Arrested Development.

15. blueradio

shitty flick.
    nuff said.