Discussion in 'Naruto Fanworks' started by TekJounin, Jan 21, 2005.
Naruto Fan Fiction Pet Peeves
I don't like OOCness. It started annoying me after I read hundreds of fics with OOCness in them.
Non-usage of spellcheck. 'Nuff said there, too.
Oh boy, let's see:
1. Self-inserts and Mary Sues (this should go without saying but still)
2. Real life countries in the Naruto World, I once saw a fanfic where Iruka, Gai and Kakashi went to Canada, blegh.
3. Jiraiya takes young Naruto away from the village and when Naruto comes back for the Chuunin exam he somehow gets himself in Team 7 and he's throwing Rasengans out of his ass and everybody is awed by him and he gets Hinata at the end, it was fun the first 1-2 times (despite my hate towards the NaruHina pairing), but now, it just got old.
4. Itachi kidnaps Naruto after killing the Uchiha clan and then Naruto gets into Akatsuki and is uber-powerful and for some weird (and most of the time, stupid) reason, he and Itachi have to go to Konoha for the Chuunin Exams, first, it doesn't make sense, and second, it also got old.
5. Random japanese phrases and words in the fic, I don't care if the translation is at the end in the author notes, most of the time the translation is wrong anyway, however, I like when the author uses honorifics (-sama, -san, etc).
6. Character bashing, but only when it's a fic which only purpose is to bash characters (mostly Sakura and Sasuke, I've seen Ino and Naruto bashing too), if it's a good fic that contains just a little of character bashing I can endure it.
7. Ramen-dobe Naruto, come on, his character is deeper than that, he also doesn't yell all the time, so there's no need to have all his dialogue in capitals.
8. Cardboard cut-outs, nuff' said.
9. Kakashi-being-late jokes, 99% of them aren't funny, yes 99%, I've seen some funny ones.
10. Gai, most of the fics I've read can't get his character right, they either write him too quiet (not very frequent) or exxagerate him (most of the time), and that's such a shame since he rocks.
11. Kyuubi being nice, I don't think I need to elaborate on this.
12. ANBUs, why? they always kill them or make them evil, in most of the 'Naruto-runs-away-from-Konoha' fics, the ANBUs are the ones who beat the crap out of Naruto before KyuubiNaruto/Itachi/randomuberninja/Zabuza (TokehGecko, don't this as an offense or as if I'm talking about your fic, I'm just using it as an example, btw, plot 3 kicks ass) kills them.
13. The Naruto/HP crossovers, I abhor them.
14. Lack of proper grammar and spelling, as long as the fic doesn't make me say: "it's that english? it sure doesn't look like it" it's alright.
There's more, but that's all I can think of the moment.
Rurouni, I didn't know that you read fanfiction, I also don't like OOCness, but it's possible to make a good OOC fic, if the author can write it as a slow change, it's also possible to start a fic with a character being OOC and in flashbacks show how the character slowly turned into what s/he is now (incredibly hard, but it's possible), or the author can just pull an NGE teather and use the pretext of the character being raised since birth by an individual to explain the OOCness.
I constantly read fanfics,and I've of course run across some that really make me want to site down and bash my head against the wall numerous times. Three examples of my pet peeves in fanfics:
1. Horrible grammar: 'naruto went to teh ramen stnad bought some ramen then went over to see how Hinata was' does not count as a sentence. Unforunately, not everyone agrees with me on that....
2. The characters' personalitites being extremely over exaggerated. Unlike some writers, I do not believe that Naruto is dumber then a doorknob. I've read some fanfics where I think my friend's guinea pig has a higher I.Q level then the one Naruto is given.
3. Kakashi constantly being paired with an 'original character'. A.K.A a Mary-Sue. In about a third of these fanfics, the OC is either Naruto or Sasuke's long lost sister.
1. 'Please make this a suchandsuch fic!' - My biggest fanfic pet peeve. In nearly every review I read, there's at least 5 people who always say: 'Plz make this a Naru/Hina fic! They're the bestest couple EVER!' A really, really good writer has already made up his/her mind how the fic will go. You're not going to change the writer's mind so please, stop asking.
2. Yaoi/Yuri - I really dislike yaoi/yuri fics because more often then not, the writer just takes two characters who are clearly not gay and makes them so for no reason at all. I mean, it's OOC in its biggest form in my opinion. Now, if it were a series like Gravitation, then I'd have no qualms because it's already an established fact that the main character and his love interest are gay.
3. Self-Inserts - More often then not, exactly like a Mary-Sue. Self-Inserts are popularity death because everyone knows they're lame.
4. Jutsu Names - If you're going to use a jutsu in your Naruto fic, please have the character say it fully in either Japanese or English. Having a character blurt out "Blaze of Glory no Jutsu!" sounds really dumb.
5. Cultural Naivety - Alot of the fics I read take many things for granted, namely, assuming that everything is exactly the same as they are in the writer's country of origin. Because of this, you see alot of 'next gen' fics where the kids are named Roger, Billy and Samantha. You also see alot of Western style weddings as well. (Which make absolutely no sense in fics based on anime that take place in Japan's distant past)
6. "Humor" fics - Many people don't know what humor and parody actually is. Having Sauske dress up in a pink tutu while singing "I Feel Pretty" when he normally wouldn't isn't funny. It's just stupid.
Pretty much their existance. I have yet to read one that seemed in any way like a plausable script for an actual Naruto feature.
If someone wants to disagree, I'd be happy to read something you think at least sounds canon.
Wait, KnK reads fanfiction too?
Meh, I have read fanfics that are plausible 'scripts' (btw, scripts aren't allowed in ff.net) for Naruto, but they're pretty rare indeed, I like to compare searching for good fanfiction to mining, it's the same thing, you have to dig through all the soil and trash and stuff to find the gold.
I don't even know what you mean by 'sounds canon', but from what I understood from your statement, these are the ones that 'sound most canon' :
Link removed I'm not going to bother searching for the other books, just click on TokehGecko's name and search his other fanfics.
As always, there's more, but I don't have time to spare, gotta prepare myself for tomorrow, I hate school and I hate the 1st day after coming back from vacations, I'm always sleepy and have a headache.
You can also visit TokehGecko's page from his profile (unless his page doesn't exist anymore, it's been a long time since I last checked it), there's many good fanfics there.
PS. I love Firefox, it rawcks my socks off and pwns IE at the same time.
Thanks, Nyarlathotep! I'm honoured you linked to my book!
Uhmm, I dislike short chapters! I don't dislike oneshots, however, as some of them are actually good! Alden-san's oneshots are good. But stories, multi-chapter stories, with less than 2000 words a chapter are annoying... Rarely, they are good, but I'm not reading those anymore anyway...
As almost everyone I hate OCs... and often, an OC becomes an SI too! I hate that even more! Hence, I also hate Mary Sues...
I dislike Yaoi, but I can stand Yuri... ErikKoekkoek's Altered Destiny. I'm too lazy to go fetch a link, though...
I dislike those annoying High-school fics... There are just no right words to curse at them...
I hate stories where names or techniques all get mixed in... Naming Kakashi Sakura won't be nice... Naming Sasuke's Goukakyuu no Jutsu, the Housenka no Jutsu, isn't right...
I dislike 'sister-insert' stories... Sasuke doesn't have a sister, goddamnit! Neither does Kakashi! He's lost all of his precious persons already, so Rin's dead too! Unless Kakashi hates his sister's guts and doesn't consider her to be precious... Maybe then he has a sister. And Naruto has a sister? Oh come on, don't you think the Third would have done everything in his power to retrieve her or something? The Third was freaking strong, so he could've done anything!!
My two cents... Or more... I have a lot more whining to do, but time is difficult to find these days, that troublesome guy...
G'bye! And thanks again, Nyarlathotep!
I read those stories. The Height of my Capacity is just a horrible alternate universe. Faith in Humanity, the author tried too hard and is more influenced by the readers than his own imagination. Set in Stone, that was alright for an Alternate Universe fic, but that is no where near being canon. Bloodlines was... interesting, but I wouldn't call it good either.
Pet peeves? I got a list for that.
1) I don't like characters that are highly over-powered without good enough reason. This is my general pet peeve that goes to other fanfiction besides Naruto. I don't like it when the main character owns everyone from the get go.
2) Yaoi/Yuri - If it's in your story, you should say so in the synopsis! I'm not fond of either of them. But I only will read yuri fanfiction of it's tasteful and well written.
3) I very much dislike stories with short chapters. If you have time to write a story with 100+ chapters, but only an average word count of 1000, then you have time to write 20 chapters with an average word count of 5000. There is such thing as a save option for word processors.
4) Author's notes and author's replying to reviews in their authors notes. I hate this. I hate it how author's have to take up a at least 2-3 pages of text space just to reply to reviewers and give explainations about actions or certain techniques. Why would you need to explain about a technique when you should of did that in the story?!!
5) I don't like people that just say "Update!" when they review your story. That's just retarded. Think of something to say, whether it's good or bad.
6) Pairings. A lot of fanfictions that are action/adventure based would be much better if the author's didn't have those. Leave pairings for drama and romantic stories, or during downtime within the story.
7) Extremely poor grammar and spelling. I know that not all spell-checkers can catch some spelling errors, especially if the word that is misspelled/typoed as a different word (ie - meat and meet). I'm guilty of this, but there are a few stories out there that are just horrible.
8) I dislike it when author's write a character in-character for an alternate universe story. If it's an alternate universe where the character's lifestyle is dramatically changed, why would the character have the same personality?
9) Jiraiya takes Naruto as a baby and comes back to take the Genin or Chuunin Exams, yet Naruto acts the same as the canon Naruto. This is just dumb and falls under #8, but so stupid that it needs it's own number.
10) High School fics. Junk.
-Bad OC characters
-When the Naruto characters don't act IN character >_<
-Short chapters, no plot (as in: just the boring lives of the characters, or they fall in love, or something stupid. At LEAST put an interesting plot in the mix)
Man, how right you are with this one... I once read a fic, that had a pretty nice beginning... until Sasuke started flirting with Naruto... Nightmares galore!
Yuri... I mean, I can understand a Sakura/Ino, because, well... they have a certain history with each other...
Ok, now with the things I really dislike...
1. Great stories that don't get updated in ages... 'A Flowing Stone' anyone? SOC was rather pissed when he saw Naruto had lost against Sasuke in the manga and he stopped writing for a while, but he's back on ( Bloodlines).
2. Great titles, bad summaries... Especially the ones with 'Yaoi' in them...
3. Summaries with horrible grammar...
4. I only check the 'Just In' section at FFN and for that matter, only the 'new chapters' and 'English'... New stories I don't read, unless they have more than one chapter. Unless someone said to me that a oneshot was particulaly good...
5. Stories with nothing but dialogue... I wrote like this and I still do sometimes, but I never said I liked my own writing... But I dislike it when there's nothing but dialogue in a chapter/story!
6. Stories that have over 40 chapters... If I know the author, then sure... but usually, when I see something like this, I just skip it, don't bother with it... It'll take a large bite out of your time...
7. FFN's annoying errors... Chapter 5 updated... You pick chapter 5 and FFN says... 'Chapter does not exist...'
8. Author's Note as a Chapter!!! I freaking hate this more than anything! Well, no, I hate yaoi more...
9. Overused plots, or when an original plot in the first chapter, becomes a major clich? starting from the third chapter...
10. Fics where Sakura can actually kick Naruto's ass... I dislike this, because.. it's major OOC and, well... major unbelievable, to me, anyways...
11. Crossover fics... I dislike most of them... But I would want to see a BUffy/Naruto crossover once... Ok, to most of you that sounds stupid, I know... But I just wanted to see what Buffy/Angel/Spike/whoever in that show would do against Naruto or Sasuke?
12. Flames... I hate those... Writing is just something we like to do... You don't have to stomp us into the ground if you don't like a paragraph... or a dozen...
13. I dislike long Titles... even though I have a long one myself, still... Something like: Tale of Naruto:The Journeys to Stone and Back... I don't like that...
I used to reply to reviews too, until I saw what happened to one of Karrafear's stories... Perhaps SideLabel's too... (Of These Last Homes just vanished) But apparently, doing review replies isn't allowed either, just like the NC-17s (That still occur) and the MSTS. Man, btw, does anyone know where I can find Naruto MSTS Fanfics?
I don't know where to find Naruto MSTS fanfics, but I know 2 communities that do more or less that, ff_anbu and narutoppc.
I'm pretty sure there are more, but that's the only ones I've found.
So which one of Karrafear's stories were deleted by FF.net? I knew those Author's Notes and review replies were going to get that moron. Not to sound sexist, but I have noticed that the majority of those that use ample space at the end of their chapters to leave large author's notes and review replies are women. Specifically net-speaking fan-girls.
Note: Net Speak is not the same as L33T Speak.
TokehGecko: When I see stories with more than 15 chapters, I look at the word count. If the word count is less than 100k, then it's not worth my time unless the summary was eye catching.
I dislike stories that have an awesome summary/synopsis but is horrible when you read it. That just sucks.
Things I really dislike in fanfics:
-Self-inserts and Mary Sues. I hate when the author does this, I find it pointless and wrong.
- <Name> is a normal kid but is somehow sucked into the Naruto world stories. Does anyone really read these stories?
- Bad grammer and spellings. 'nuff said.
- Yaoi/Yuri. Most Yaoi/Yuri are not thought out and writeen by people that just want to see people of the same sex have sex. There are a few good Yaoi NAruto stories and two or so good Yuri Stories on FF.Net
-Author Makes Naruto a girl just so that they can pair him with Sasuke or Neji. I really hate this it would have been better ifthe author had written a Yaoi story.
- OC/ a Main character, they are normally Self-inserts and Mary Sues.
- When an author mixes m/f with m/m. So morron on AFF.net wrote a yoai story but put m/f, I readd it think it was a het story and was shooked to see Naruto kissing Neji.
-Naruto's brother fics-an example of this would be from out of the blue Naruto's older brother returns. He either has a demon sealed within him or he's as strong or stronger then a Sannin. He has enough skill to take on an member of Akatsuki. Out of the bule he shows up in Naruto's life and the two get a long very well. Even those the story is about Naruto and his brother, Naruto will only be at the start or the end of the chapters. Oh yes Naruto is paired with a random girl (Ino or Tenten). I just hate these stories
-Naruto's sister fic -an example of this would be from out of the blue Naruto's older sister returns. She is twice as hot as any woman in the village and all male chacacter fall in love with her. She takes Naruto to live with her. The whole story will be focused around her and she will be apired with a jounnin for the leaf village or Itachi. I hate these as much as Naruto brother fic.
Author notes as chapters- a waste of space and time
A chapter made just so the author can answer some quesstions- a waste of space and time
- An author as for help with the pairings it's gonig to be Naruto with a female, help me pick one. Then 5 Yaoi fangirls say "Make it Naruto/Sasuke"
- I just can't stand when an athour has their pairing already set up, most people know what the main pairing is, then people say "You have to make it Naruto/Hinata. ( I'm starting to hate this pairing)"
- A Naruto/Hinata with a crappy plot, Which are in fact most of them.
-When a good pairing is rushed.
I'll add more when I come up with them.
I don't remember which one got deleted, but she's actually a nice girl... Yeah, she's female With net-speaking, you mean something like MSN, ICQ, AOL or Forums?
Hmmm... Man, My third book has 15 chaps and only 83k words... I guess I fall under that category as well...
Yeah, why does it never occur that a very sucky summary has a great story?
I hate Kak-Iruka yaoi especially with Kak acting as a rapist. all those "writers" should be strung up and stabbed with katanas for 72 hours!
I hate it when I get added to someone's fav list but they didn't leave a review for any of my stories, so I don't know what they read.
I don't mind OCs, they can be done well and even be a good main char (like mine!) but there should be no more than a handful in a story. Too many to track and I lose interest immediately.
Yeah! I got like 70 people whom I am on their favorite list and 107 people who have me on author alert. Only a handful actually write reviews, and that's a small hand.
hehe. I've been reading and writing fanfics for a looong time. Everyone has thier pet peeves, but I think that OOCness is the worst. Most of the time it is due to poor writing skills or misunderstanding of the canon. If they are all IC, I'm pretty much ok with any story. (Including mary sues and alternate universe--the reason most people hate those is because they get all the characters all messed up in the process of inserting a new character or making a whole new setting.)
I've read some fanfics, and what i really hate are the stories that are just "listed" like... Sasuke got punched in the face, he fell down... it sounds like they're trying to explain naruto to a baby - or your grandma.
when a male (most of the time it's Iruka) gets pregnant
So many peeves, so little time...
1. FF.net and AFF.net. Anyone and their cousin's dog can post on it. I spend an average of two hours wading through crap before I find something I like.
2. Mpreg fics. Unless it's canon that it can actually happen I think it should just be left the hell alone. There isn't anything funny or romantic about it.
3. Massive crossovers. Too many characters to keep track of, most of whom I probably have no idea who they are. Very few authors can handle multiple crossovers well.
4. Het. Just a personal thing. If the female they're kissing/messing with isn't me, I don't want to read it.
5. Fics that cater to the author's obvious favorite character. Everything the character ever wanted is given to them and nothing bad will ever happen. I can stand it in short well done doses but 20+ chapters is a bit much.
6. Kindergarden humor. Granted not everyone shares the same sense of humor, but the pull-my-finger and poo jokes are lame.
7. The 'whens teh next chap coming!!!!!' reviews for something meant to be a one shot.
8. The train wrecks, so horrible you can't look away. The writing isn't quite that good, but the idea is awesome so you over look it and read. It quickly turns into 40+ chapters of the best bi-polar, soap opera you could ever hope to find. You spend hours reading the thing hating it but unable to stop. When you've finally reached the end it has 'tbc' at the bottom.
9. Fics where one character gets raped by another but forgives it because it's 'love.' The only time you'll find anything like this in real life is in an extremely abusive relationship where the victim's view of the world has been destroyed by the abuser.
10. Fics where a character has been raped and can't function again until their one true love has sex with them. Usually a few days after being raped. *bangs head* Pretty much just all rape fics.
11. Fics where the author admits to not taking the two seconds to run their fics through a spell-checker.
12. Using emoticons in the fic itself. -_-''''
On that note, I would also like to mention that putting Author's Notes right in the middle of the story annoys the Hell out of me. If you absolutely have to, use a damn asterisk or something for reference and put everything at the end of the chapter.
Author notes in the middle of the story. It jars the the flow of the story.
What I call the 'teetertoter' mood swings. I hate them. Normal people do not go from happy to angry back to happy and then back to angry again in a space of a few minutes. It works in comedy; no where else.
Poorly written het/yaoi/yuri. Het is more annoying when it's poorly done for some reason. And I have the worse luck when it comes to finding good het fics. (If anyone could suggest a few please do so)
Cliche pairings. The unfortunate thing about this is that some of my favorite stories are the cilche pairings. I'm getting really sick of reading SasuNaru.
Poorly done crack pairings. I have read some really good ones, the rest are horrible. You have to make it believeable, and for that you need a plot.
using the same words over and over. I'm guilty of this, but I try to not vary the language a little when I write.
Anything without plot.
Disgustingly discriptive lemons. You know the type that go 'omg he was like 7 inchs!' those are stupid and immature. There are other ways to get the point across. Continuing with that mind set when the guy is redicululsy large. I don't want to know every little detail of a person's body.
pedo fics. The though of twelve year olds doing that stuff makes me want to puke. I can handle 16 year olds, but anything younger is just . . . ew.
I agree with the above posts, I hate wading through a ton of stories to get to one or two good ones.
Some things that annoy me:
1. Story is written with grammar and spelling that reads like a high school girl talking to her friends.
2. Really really short chapters; unless they are short stories.
3. Out of character
That's pretty much it. I try not to be critical because after all, it's just a bunch of fans sharing our love for Naruto stories, right?
1. People who interuppt the middle of the story to add something stupid. This one time I was reading a story and the author was like "OMG! I FORGOT TO DO MY HOMEWORK!" Do you really have to put that?
2. Bad grammer and spelling, mine's bad, I know it is, but I try my best to fix it. A few mistakes are okay once in awhile, but if it's so bad that the sentence doesn't make sense, I think "Okay, what are you trying to say?"
3. The same jokes over and over... we all heard about Kiba pissing his pants in chapter 3, we don't want to hear him pissing it again in chapter 6.
4. People who barely know the story, but try to write anyways. Example: "Sasuke and the one guy... Oops! Heehee, I forgot his name! (Insert stupid giggly laugh here) But his hair is yellow and spiky, he's the main character but I don't know who he is!"
5. People who think characters are stupid but make them even more stupid. Example: The author thinks Hinata's stupid so they make her totally OOC. "EW! GET AWAY FROM ME SAKURA! YOU'RE SUCH A BIT**!" I hate this. Sasuke gets on my nerves but when an author makes him pretty good, yet not OOC, I like the story and even Sasuke more. When the Author makes them more annoying, they just hate the character more and the readers hate the author more.
6. Short chapters. They're okay, but only when the author updates quickly. If you write a 4 paragraph story but don't update until the next two weeks.
7. Quick Romance. I understand if it's a one shot, but if Naruto marries so and so in the first two chapters, there's no point in reading the story.
8. Naruto's Kid Fic. The only GOOD fic I read where Naruto had a child was... well... never. They make it boring, and it's the same process, Naruto has a child, the child goes to school, the child passes genin test, the child just happens to be on the same team as Sakura's kid and Sasuke's kid. The child goes to chuunin exams, the author gets no reviews and removes or never updates the story.
9. Flamers who keep reading. I was reading a fic and the Author was answering a flame and the flamer decided they hated the chapter in chap. 25 but reviews in chap. 27.
10. The characters look different. Example: "Sakura's light brown hair blew behind her." Since when does Sakura have brown hair?
11. When reviewers tell the author to update when it's a one-shot or when they ask if they could update faster when they update everyday.
That's basically all I can think of right now.
There is one particular brand of OOC that I absolutely hate seeing, the female guys. The fics where you can change Naruto's name to Becky and it would make perfect sense. Because the author bases all of the guys' reactions and behaviors on their own without giving a single thought about their gender. It's especially bad in yaoi fics. Granted, just about everyone does this, but most people can tone it down.
i pretty much agree with everyone, especially the yaoi/yuri one. when i first checked out the naruto fanfic community, i was incredibly disappointed at the lack of non-yaoi fiction.
one thing i didn't see mentioned (or i missed it) was where authors use the excuse (in response to reviews) "the story/characters write themselves, i have no control over it". while this can be true to an extent, in many cases they were just using it an excuse or make it seem as if even they themselves don't want to keep writting the pairing but do anyways. if you didn't want to make it that pairing, then just tell them that! you're the author, its YOUR story. and if you don't like something in your story, then change it! its your universe.
and about the anbu comment where they're always killed as canon fodder...well, that's what they are in the series, you never see them really do anything except get killed (kabuto kills 3 without breaking a sweat). it's usually the jounins that ever do anything useful
You read through a long story just to find out the last chapter isn't their and the author gave up on the fic! Has happened to me multiple times!
I don't like when authors bash some character or pretty much describe character in a horribly ooc way just to make it look like he/she is dumb, ditzy, worthless, etc cause said character gets in the way of certain pairings. :B
And yah, mary sues, bad grammar + spelling, HORRIBLE LEMONS (linked to my friend's let's mock lemons comm) and uhm... o_o I guess that's it.
Well, I'd suggest the stuff I placed on the Fanfic referrals thread, but I really don't know your tastes or if you have even read those already.