1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

6. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest -- Drinks!
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinions on Gordon Brown.

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by CJC, Jun 8, 2007.

1. CJC Pearl Jam ftw

As you may or not know, Tony Blair (British PM) is stepping down on the 29th of June, he is going to be replaced by the Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown.

I was wondering what people think of Gordon Brown and how he's going to handle being the PM of Britain. Do you think he will lead the Labour party well?

For example:
    • How he's going to handle Northern Ireland.
    • Whether he has the same stance as Tony Blair upon Iraq.

As well as that what do you think of any of his ideas or new policies, one that comes to mind is that he wants to codify our uncodified constitution so that it is all in one document.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
    Tags:
  2. AbnormallyNormal 1 + 2 + 3 = 1 * 2 * 3

speaking as an american here i thin khe will be a lot less cozy with gw bush

3. Toby <b>Detective Dollars</b>

I fear that Gordon Brown will end up in a conflict with the Democratic Unionists in northern Ireland because on the inaugaration of the new government in Stormont, he was explicitly stating that it was the discussions with Gerry Adams' party alone which lead to the solution. He directly revoked that any British politician in Westminister has helped, and that will make stubborn men like Gordon twitch.

Personally I would have preferred Tony to stay rather than Gordon going into leadership as, according to an article in The Economist, it was almost concluded that the failure of the NHS was a concept devised by Mr Brown. His cooperation with Tony Blair consisted of a tug-and-pull relationship where many domestic plans were polar opposites according to which of the duo had spear-headed them.

Although he has a worthy background in Scottish politics, I am convinced that he will be a hard-liner, and possibly push Labour even further towards authoritarianism, and that just might be what Mr Cameron needs to pull a victory in elections for the Tories. In fact, I find myself favouring anything but another authoritarian Labour government, so I would welcome Cameron to office because there will not be a Liberal Democrat campaign strong enough to make it.

What puzzles me is how he will handle foreign affairs, because I know nothing of his plans there. He does not seem like an aggressive man, but he is still a hard-liner.

4. sel Agatha, This is Magnus

I know what you mean, a lot of the things that people hold against Labour arent all down to Blair, yet it's his head we all want

5. Toby <b>Detective Dollars</b>

^ And if it were not for that damn tug-and-pull cooperation, I doubt there would be a New Labour springing out of the ground either. One can argue as much as one wants about British immigration reforms and school reforms, but the authoritarian touch is some prevailent grip-technique which Brown obviously learned when he was a politician in Scotland.

What surprises me is how any non-British newspaper made their first cover-story on Brown's ascension to the position of PM as the greatest find of the year. Really, the only political certainty in Britain nowadays is that Brown is going to be PM.

Btw, what has delta over delta times x got to do with a pink heart, Son et Lumiere?

6. Bishop Pharroh

I feel that it is a lose-lose situation between Blair and Brown to begin with- though Tony Blair's credibility has dropped significantly since 2004, Brown's stance on many issues is either unclear or unknown. In this position, we can only see what Brown will do. I wouldn't say that Brown is stubborn as much as persistent but, only time will tell about Gordon.