1. Dismiss Notice
  2. OPFC

Are you an artist that loves One Piece? Join the OP Fanart Contest in the Ohara Library!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. GN

Come join the Football/Soccer Women's World Cup and Copa America predicting competitions.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice

Your Religion prior to Atheism

Discussion in 'Philosophical Forum' started by Kamendex, May 26, 2005.

Your Religion prior to Atheism

1. Catholic

27.0%
  2. Protestant

25.9%
  3. Muslim

4.3%
  4. Hindu

1.1%
  5. Buddhist

3.8%
  6. Jewish

3.8%
  7. Sikh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Traditional Chinese

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Born Atheist

34.1%
  1. Kamendex Retired from Forum

I'm curious about this, because so many people are atheist on this forum, and I want to know which religon kind of "let them down."

Tags:
  2. kireato .........

You forgot bahai... And i am agnostic not atheist.

Here's a link... Though you can easily find much more...

As for agnostism... Well atheists firmly believe that God doesn't exist... And belief is faith, so it's almost a religion.

3. jkingler J. Kinglecrab, Esq.

I am a free-thinker, not an agnostic or an atheist :p

4. anjelline LAST ALLIANCE

well, i'm mixed up on sorts!
    i'm taoist by birth, buddhist by practice, catholic by heart, but atheist by soul.

really jumbled up, and I can't really say much about it, but that's what I feel that I should do.. haha!

5. Aldredian_Sahn On the Road of Truth again

I grew up going to a Christian Church (Methodist). In high school I had a terrible time with it. I thought it was a bunch of crap, an all loving God that destroys people? Seriously? (Don't ever read Revelations first, it can lead to a lot of misunderstandings before you are ready for it) So God was in question. I search for other religions too then, but I couldn't find one that seemed right. My Uncle studied the Baha'i, but after finding out that it combined all religions into one, I realized that was a bunch of bull and impossible. In college I took a world religions class. It was really cool and at the time I learned a lot. I also thought for a long time that the new age stuff was 'rad,' then I found out that the religion had just started recently and it doesn't make sense to me that people can just create their own religions. Man making a God. I think religion has to run deep, to the beginning of time or as far back as humans were able to remember.

Science had to be the answer of course. That let me down also. It lead me to a dead end in which there was no meaning of 'us' We were like robots to my pyscho:) teacher. Then one day, out of desire I guess to find the truth, God showed himself to me, in a way. I started going to Bible Studies, still with a lot of questioning and I was very argumentive. I was totally not trusting them to their "coversion" expertise, but they didn't try to convert me, although some were a little pushy about it...actually it was only one or two of them. You'll find that naturally in groups. I learned more and more and eventually I asked Christ Jesus to enter into me because I had the desire for Him to do that and everything is pretty damn terrific now. The whole world let me down, but I found what I had been searching for.

6. kireato .........

^^That's an interesting experience.

But you know... many groups are great. Only some people try to convert you.

Sincerely, any religion can do, or none at all, to find people with which you can have a fun time.

Well, then again, i don't feel the whole world has let me down at some point in my life.
    Cheers for you.

7. GaaraOfTheDesert ...but I eated it.

I was a catholic, and i no longer needed religion, it was of no use to me anymore, i found my hapiness and hope in myself, i don't need no god to get that.

More and more people are losing religion, individualism is coming back. hooray :p

8. Sayo The Hedgehog

atheist all the way, i believe in myself and in control of my own life, not any higher being is involved in that and im not depending on anything related to that.

9. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

Touche--but then, you probably firmly believe that invisible floating space-monkeys aren't hovering over your shoulder right now, but I'd argue that's just good sense, and far removed from any religious conviction. To affirm an obvious negative is worlds removed from affirming a baleful, untrue positive.

Anyway, if you're going to claim atheism is on par with religion, you might as well go all out and affirm a Nietzschean skepticism; "nothing is true; everything is permitted".

10. RatQueen Kakashi Fangirl

I was raised Garderian, studied Alexandrian and formed my own style of practice over the years.

Definately not an atheist.

11. Nybarius Ennui Bores Me

Ratqueen: But what were you prior to being raised Garderian? Atheist I tells ya!

Everyone was an atheist / agnostic prior to having some religion inculcated in them.

12. Devonin Roaming Philosopher

By definition, they couldn't have been an agnostic prior to religious knowledge being taught to them.

13. SirBelial New Member

I was born as a Catholic (damn parents..) and some years after having lost any link to Christianity or to the church, I studied some Satanism and became interested in it.
    Now I don't want to be called any of these groups, I'm just me, I don't believe in any god, but I don't exclude the existance of a god. So it would be Agnostic, but I don't want to be called Agnostic, you understand? :p

14. Toby <b>Detective Dollars</b>

I was catholic, lost faith when I started to question my faith in certain incidents where it seemed I had lost my contact with God.

But it isnt the lost faith of abandoning God, I still believe God exists, I am simply not agreeing with his decisions and I dont support him as a god, only as a greater celestial being on a different plane of existence. Thus, God is a form you can talk to about mostly anything. If God made us that is :p

15. Gravespawn New Member

Lets see. I started a general christian, but never believed in it, then to atheist, then to a neo-pagan type religion, then atheist, then zen-buddism, then back to atheism.

16. kungfuchopstickz Nissan Skyline GTR R34

Born and raised Buddhist. I stopped believing.

17. syrin Member

*cough* bullshit *cough*
    all that and your a 16 year old.... something just doesnt seem right. I dont think trying a religion for a day counts, and i doubt you would have 'changed' religion any lower than 10 - 12 (even that seems too low). sooooo all those religions in the space of a few years at most? yeah right, pull the other one. Even if you did try all these religions it takes time to have an understanding of each religion so i have come to the conclusion that your post was a load of bs.

i had a shit day and am not in the mood for compulsive liers.

and me, i was born and raised christian, and now i believe mostly in what science has taught me.

18. RaitoRyuukashin Banned

I was baptist(protestant), raised that way as most black kids are but I knew the truth since I was small.

19. yo586 Member

really, with all the number of religions in this world, you should add an "other" option to your thread. don't wanna offend anyone!
    and while i've grown up in a jewish family and still say im jewish, I'm more of a guy who follows my own intuition and goes wherever that takes me.

20. Zhongda Active Member

i really doubt a muslim will vote

21. zionforsell Member

If we really look at the existence of God, we will realize that there is no proof nor evidence that might lead to Him. If there is such a holy creature as God, and everything was good according to him, there wouldnt be so many religions with difference beliefs. So God is just a belief that people want to believe. If they believe in loyalty, honesty,... they will create a God who cherishs and praise those characteristics. In my view point, everybody is their own God. We each learn and treasure certain traits unlike others. Killing is wrong. But from time to time, revolution took lot of lives and yet some was called "heroes" instead of "killers". Need not jugde by action, but by motivation and reason. I was born in a Catholic family. I used to be a true believer in God. But the more I confronted life and started to question, the more I grow. I think that if we keep believing in someone's view instead of ours, we will always remain a child with strings for someone to control. To recognize our own God in ourself, that is how we are ever going to grow up!

22. KUREIGU New Member

i was church of england, you know the one henry the 8th made when he wanted to divorce his first wife

23. Gravespawn New Member

Okay you don't believe me. When I was between 8 and 10, even if you don't believe if I did, I became an atheist because I stopped believing in the existance of a God. But about a few years after becoming an atheist I began to explore other religions, so when I was about 14 I was neo-pagan for a little while, and recently I almost joined the Church of All Worlds, a neo-pagan religion inspired partly by the 1960's book Stranger in a Strange Land. I considered myself it for a few months and then I realized that it wasn't right for me, and I didn't fully believe in it. So again I went back to the only religion that made since to me, atheism. Then last year I started to meditate in order to deal with my shitty life. Zen meditation was the style I picked and since I was using the style I began to practice the religion. After a while though I stopped out of conflicts with the reincarnation belief that I first thought I would be able to eventually overcome. Now I am a strict atheist. And even if I didn't have a complete understanding of the religions I had a basic enough understanding to live my life by there principles for a period over a year. And even if you don't fully believe me I know the truth and those around me know the truth so I don't really care.

24. Chintsuzai The Messenger

I'm an athiest.. I'd rather not believe in any religion and think for myself ^^; (I'm not putting down anyone who does believe in things.. I'm just saying...) My parents just raised me like this I guess... XD And anyways I'm more of a sciency person..

25. Mad FISH Giant-Robo-Fan!

That would make you a protestant.

A long long time ago when I was innocent... no a better word would be ignorant... I believed in God and was well... Methodist (I was in a Methodist family that never went to church...) Anyways! Then as the days went by and I was bullied at school I reliezed if God exists they why would he let bad things happen to moderately good people. Then I reliezed more contridictions like, if God is belevolant why is he so vengeful? Why does he cast those who don't believe him in purgatory despite them living good lives? Why would he let the Vatican Order (the one with the pope and all that) do what they did in the Middle Ages just because they contridicted things they didn't like... like women with power and land... belife in the world is round... or believing in a religion thats almost like Catholism but isn't? Why does he hide from mortals? There are just too many things in this world that contridicts God's existance thus there can not be a god. I'm more inclined to believe in the Greek Myths then God...

26. GruntTrung New Member

I was truly born an atheist, i have never believed that there is any kind of higher being, or creating god or anything like that. But i wouldnt say that any religon has let me down, its more like i never believed in anything like that in the first place, nor have i found any reason to belive.

27. Erkekjetter Phantoms Now.

I was born christian, and am now athiest. But, I'm getting interested in Satanism.

28. pajamas Banned

I've never believed in god, I never will believe in god. Because god doesn't exist. But I do go to church. Unitarian Universalists, and we, at this church, can believe whatever the fuck we want, and at the end of eighth grade (next year for me) we have coming of age, which is where we tell the congregation our beliefs. So theoretically I'm Unitarian Universalist but I am truly, deep down, an atheist. And I'm damn proud of it.

29. Lucero del Alba <b> <color=red> THE <blink>notlame</blink> AVENGER

Main background in the protestant faith (apostolic mostly), several different sects, some in catholicism. developed the desire for freedom of mind at about 12, now firmly athiest. Have also done (very) minor studying of the jewish, buddhist, and muslim faiths, as well as a little in mythology and ancient religion.

30. Arima Teppei Mio-chan lover !

I am not into believings and stuff although i'm raised as a Christian i'm actually to things.

I am a Christian and also a Catholic. That is because my mom is an Catholic and my dad is an Christian.