1. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on DNA databanks

Discussion in 'Perspectives' started by Shinim3gami, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Shinim3gami

Biotech is one of the biggest things of the century.
    Scientists argue that with a DNA databank, genetic research and therapy will be accelerated and people suffering devastating diseases such as sporatic CJD, adenoleukodystrophy (ALD) etc. etc. can be cured and the rest of their families be prevented from passing of the defective gene to future generations.
    The police force argue in favour it as well because it facilitates the process of linking suspects with crimes and also conserves resources.

But what about the moral and ethical implications of a DNA databank?
    Just how safe is your DNA? And what will they do with it?
    What if the insurance companies got their hands on it - how would families with members prone to diseases like Huntington's ever hope to find coverage?
    If the business world got their hands on it, it could start refusing people for jobs based on their genetic profile.
    The list goes on and on.
    But what it comes down to is that your DNA is still ultimately a part of you and who gets to do what with it stands as an issue over all the benefits. Are you willing to sacrifice personal autonomy over a part of you for the greater good of society (Utalitarians say - yes)?
    Discuss your thoughts and other issues that may arise here.

Tags:
  2. Narvi

You know, a DNA databank would probably be confidential. There is plenty of precedent for that; medical records are confidential. It's not like some guy is just going to call somebody up and say, "hey guy, can I see this guy's records? Man, he's a carrier for sickle cell anaemia? Blast him!"

3. Miss Soupy

I dunno, I guess I wouldn't mind. I mean, there's nothing I could do with my DNA sequence, but having it in a databank where people who know what they are doing could be helpful. A sequence sitting in a computer doesn't sound all the bad to me, it's not like it could harm me personally. And if it helps scientists find cures, then even better.

4. Amaretti

There are probably several doctors who have my medical records stashed away on their computer. I have no problem with that, so I don't really have a problem with people profiling my DNA. It's only like someone profiling my blood type.

The pros probably outweigh the cons in this instance (I'm not sure what the cons are, other and a few moral quibbles). Recently a rapist was tracked down because the police found his sister through DNA testing and knew he was related to her. DNA profiling, when used in criminal investigations, is hugely successful. Why would you want to oppose something like that? Well... unless you're a criminal, of course. *general you*

I'd be up for it.

5. exmorte

Psh, until we have the technology were something serious could be done with DNA, it doesn't matter. And when that time comes, sensible people will pass sensible laws to make sure the data is not used for anything outside the original posseser of the DNA's will.

6. Tsukiyomi

Profiling DNA is the equivalent to profiling blood type? How do you figure? Blood type is a small detail, your DNA is EVERYTHING you are physically. It is every aspect of your body and your physical being.

I don't think anyone has a right to profile your dna without your consent, its as personal as anything else on your body. How about profiling pictures of everyones genitals? How can that be more personal than your DNA?

7. Firedraconian

Meh. Any such databank should be entirely voluntary anyway. If you're stupid enough to agree to something like this, you deserve what comes out of it.

8. The Space Cowboy

...You know what we should all do, COPYRIGHT our own genetic codes. That way, anyone who tries to use them, gets sued out of existence.

9. Firedraconian

Of course, in order to copyright it, don't you have to document it and have it publically available...?

10. Toby

Only for the State archives, and you get a documented copy for personal use. At least that's how I have got my patents in Britain and Norway.

Should anyone deny you that or begin gerrymandering I suppose you just need to rally one of those 1 MILLION PEOPLE DEMONSTRATIONS. :amuse

A DNA bank would be great for capturing serial killers on the loose, but I don't really picture a more grand design. A nickle for the first one who finds it practical in the war against terror?

11. EvilMoogle Supporting Staff

I have no problem with that.

I'm calling dibs now on these specific segments of my personal DNA:
    AT, TA, CG, and GC. Please make note if you plan to use any of these in your future works, royalties can be sent to me, PM me for my paypal account.

On a more serious note, banks for medical research are great but should have concent of those in it.

Banks for criminal investiagions are great as long as they are populated through the correct legal channels (DNA typing members of the military is fine, DNA typing convicted felons is fine, other uses should get a warrent first).