1. Ohara Library Banner Contest

The Beasts Pirates demand your services.
    Join the OL Banner Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Winter is coming one last time...

Dismiss Notice
  4. Come enter in the KCC Cooking Contest!

Dismiss Notice
  5. The Anime Awards of 2018 have started! Click here to see the post!

Dismiss Notice

You're Not Weak

Discussion in 'Naruto Fanworks' started by balmung29, Sep 26, 2006.

1. balmung29 Lucky!

Her footsteps were quick, jumping through the trees. She was only slightly behind the red haired Kazekage. Her leaf green eyes were narrowed, she didn?t trust him for a second. She jumped more and more, all she could remember is that he nearly killed both her and her beloved ex-teammate. Why did he even agree to go on this mission anyway with her? It meant no difference to him whether Konohagakure lived or was lost in the horrible tides that war threatened, right?

It started to rain, the light shower feeling not even bothering her at first. But as they sped on, the raindrops became more and more furious and relentless. Despite he lived in a place where there was no rain, only the blazing powers of the sun, he showed no signs of slowing down, now or ever. She sped up so they were side by side, and was surprised by a slightly pained look in his eyes. It disappeared once he knew he was next to her, and gave her a sideways glance. One that was expressionless, but she registered it as a what-are-you-looking-at? look. She looked away, and he still said nothing.

?Come on Sakura,? she thought furiously to herself. ?Don?t let him control you. You can do this...? She shook her head as the tears of the sky became thick and heavy, hitting Sakura with furious splashes. She looked over at him with the same look as he had given her. It was as cold as the most brittle ice and made her green eyes look as dark as the shadows of night. It reminded her of the same night as when her mentor gave her and him this mission...

Flashback

Sakura admitted herself into her hokage and mentor?s office, bowing quickly. Her cotton candy hair was matted and tangled from the rain outside, but her observing eyes looked around the room and finally rested on the woman in front of her.

?Something wrong, Tsunade-sama??

?Sasuke and Orochimaru are both showing clear signs that they?ll attack Konoha and Suna,? Tsunade admitted reluctantly, and she had to watch with torment as all the blood drained from Sakura?s face. ?I?ve already asked Gaara-sama for assistance. But unfortunately Sasuke will most likely not cooperate and...?

?Gaara will need a medic in case things get out of hand,? Sakura finished. ?And seeing Naruto is in the hospital and everyone else is busy, I?m the only one that may get to Sasuke.? She glared at Tsunade, her eyes piercing like knives. Before Tsunade could say anything, she raised her hand to silence her.

?I just thought you knew better than this, Tsunade-sama.? Sakura?s voice trembled with anger and hate. ?I can barely go on each day, thinking about him. I?ll take your mission, but don?t expect me to like it one bit.? She left the room in a flurry, hoping to get some time alone.

End of Flashback...

Sakura?s eyes narrowed even further, now almost to the smallest slits as she remembered her hate and fury. She stared at Gaara longer, who was intent to just keep looking forward. Finally she spoke, her voice as hard as the toughest stone.

?I need to stop. I know you can go on forever, but I can?t.?

Gaara looked at her searchingly for a second, then he shrugged.

?Whatever,? he only said.

Sakura rolled her eyes and jumped down from the trees, Gaara close behind. She realized that the night was as black as it could get, and she was freezing. She ran as fast as her exhausted body would let her until she found an abandoned cave. She slunk in the dark opening, and Gaara followed. Gaara flicked a finger, and sand shot out of the cave. It came back in a bundle, and it dropped to reveal dry wood. Sakura didn?t ask where he found it or how. She was just intent to start the fire. Soon they had a roaring blaze going, the heat warming them from bones to skin. Sakura just stared into the flaming red depths, her eyes only watering a little by the pewter smoke that wisped gently from the fire. She began to see the strangest things in the flames. She saw Sasuke and Naruto arguing, then when finally Sasuke left her in tears. She was unaware of tears rolling slowly down her face.

?You have our eyes.? The voice startled her, and she jerked her head up at Gaara. He was staring curiously at her, and she blinked.

?What?? Sakura finally asked, her cherry red mouth frowning.

?You used to not have them... only Sasuke, Naruto, and I had them...? Gaara trailed off, just staring at her. Sakura turned away, but one eye was still looking at him.

?I?ll never feel all of your pain,? Sakura said slowly. ?But you don?t have the pain of being betrayed and being so weak you couldn?t fight back. You three had the luxury of being strong, of taking the lead.? She looked at him with both eyes. ?Me? I just got to watch while my friends were getting the living heck beaten out of them, and I was just standing there like a startled squirrel. Sure, I have medical skills and strength now, thanks to Tsunade. But emotionally, I never improved. Whenever I?m on a mission, I freeze inside and I can?t do it. I?m just weak.? Her fists clenched as more tears streamed down her face in a relentless flow. ?I can never understand your pain, Sabaku no Gaara, but then again, you?ll never understand mine.? She clapped her hand over her mouth, surprised as anything by her outburst. She half-expected Gaara to blow up at her, tell her she was wrong. But he shocked her: he did nothing.

?I?ll stand watch,? Gaara said at last. His voice was as expressionless as ever, as if he didn?t even hear what the pink haired kunoichi had to say. Sakura let out a trembling sigh, and nodded without saying anything. She sat there a little longer, now shaking like a leaf. She wouldn?t admit it, but she was terrified to go to sleep. Ever since Tsunade appointed this mission, she had been getting spine-chilling nightmares about Sasuke. Her eyes were starting to close, despite her fear. She shivered, and took several deep breaths. Finally she had curled up so her knees were to her stomach, and fell asleep with a bone-pale hand underneath her cheek.

Tags:
  2. balmung29 Lucky!

As she suspected, her dreams were haunted and bone chilling, but they weren’t anything like the ones before. There was only darkness, with blood red eyes staring at her. But things got lighter and lighter, until a grinning Sasuke was seen. She tried to move, but she couldn’t. She saw that her wrists and ankles were chained to a wall, and she stared forward, her upper torso heaving each breath in sheer terror. There was a flashof red before her eyes, it dripping down like blood. She shivered as that was all her eyes could see. She could almost feel it pour down against her green orbs, and she has to clamp her eyes shut so tight they hurt. She shook her head to clear the ruby red from her eyes. She was shaking uncontrollably now, and she stared at Sasuke. Sakura tried to speak but couldn’t, and Sasuke moved to the side to reveal an unmoving form, blood seeping slowly out of the corpse. His clothes were so clotted in his crimson blood she couldn’t recognize him, until she saw the shock of flaming red hair. His head rolled towards her, sea green eyes glazed and as clouded as a stormy sky.

“Gaara, no!” Sakura screeched, and began to fight against the chains. She didn’t know why she was reacting like this... but not Gaara too! Sasuke came up to her, still grinning that insane smile, and put a finger under her chin, forcing it up.

“You were always weak, and always will be,” he breathed in her ear. “You are doomed, little cherry blossom!” Sakura let out a bloodcurdling scream...

“Sakura!” The kunoichi’s eyes snapped open, and was aware of Gaara shaking her. She stared at him, and he abruptly let her go. Sakura careened backwards, just barely catching herself. She looked up at Gaara.

“Wha-what happened?” she stammered

“You said my name, and then you screamed really loud,” Gaara replied lamely. “What happened, bad dream or something?”

“Worst one I ever had...” she shook. “Sasuke killed you, and-“ she cut herself off abruptlyrealizing what she was saying.

Gaara’s eyes went cold, but he said nothing but “Get back to sleep, you need as much rest as possible for tomorrow.” Try as she might, Sakura couldn’t get back to sleep. She shivered in fear, but she controlled how much she rolled around. She nearly fell asleep once, but she envisioned that insane face and couldn’t sleep. She finally got up, and walked shakingly over to Gaara.

He didn’t say anything. Silence was their communication, what the night was. They stared at the stars and moon, until finally, dawn welcomed the next day. When the sun broke over the mountains in a brilliant flash of pink, purple, and blue, they set off. They refused to even look at each other, even though Sakura was dying of curiousity. Sakura’s dream troubled her, and not because Sasuke did that to her. She didn’t know why, but seeing Gaara’s body disturbed her more than anything else. Sakura was content to stay slightly behind, caught up in the cage of her own thoughts.

Only a kunai being thrown through the air caught her attention. Not having time to move out of the way, she instinctively rose her hand to guard her head. The kunai’s razor blade pierced through tissue and muscle, and she couldn’t stiffle a shriek of pain. Gaara turned to her, teal eyes wide, and he shouted, “Sakura, get down!”

Sakura obeyed and jumped down from the tree just in time to miss a flamethrower of blazing hot fire, its blazes licking the tree where she was just standing. She instinctively hid behind a tree, and more fire blazed through the air. Sakura saw a whirling of sand, and she knew Gaara was now fighting. The Kazekage sighed, and yelled, “Uchiha, come out!”

Sasuke appeared. His face was tainted by the black curse mark and he had that same insane grin on his face. He had gotten so much stronger. The pink haired ninja could now sense Sasuke’s chakra. Sakura winced away, clutching the tree with her still bleeding hand. “So the great Sabaku no Gaara is here now, ne? Let’s see how long you can last now!” With insane speed that would do Gai-sensei proud, Sasuke kicked Gaara in the stomach before the sand shield could come to his defense. Gaara flew into a nearby tree, but sand was furiously rising.

“Suna Shigure! (Sand Rain!)” Gaara roared, and sand in the form of rain pelted down to Sasuke. It barely hit him before he disappeared, and hit Gaara again in the back. Blood was flying from Sasuke’s back from the sand attack, but it hardly even fazed him. Sakura could only watch as Gaara was slowly being beat by Uchiha Sasuke, and she could barely stand it. But then again, all she could do was watch. She would be a nuisance to him now. As she always was. As she was still.

“Darn it, Sakura! Why do you have to be so weak?” she thought furiously. Gaara needed her help, what was she thinking! She tried hard to get away from the tree, but her feet were frozen in place. She couldn’t move from her terror no matter how hard she tried. “Darn it!”

“So this is all the great Gaara has,” Sasuke breathed. Sakura could just barely hear his words, but they hit her just as hard if he had screamed them. “I don’t know who else is with you... but it’s time for you to die.” He made the classic hand signs, the ones Sakura knew all too well. “Chidori!” he growled.

Gaara, who was huddled against a tree, made a light sand shield but Sakura knew it was pointless. Sure, it would slow him down, but it wouldn’t stop Sasuke from killing him. It was the only reason she needed. Adrenaline rushed through her system, melting the ice that had kept her frozen in place. Her feet began to move, and she pried herself from the tree. Each of her desperate movements were getting faster and faster.

Sasuke was running now, the noisy lightning attack illuminating his hands. He punched through the sand shield easily and was now running for Gaara. The Uchiha grinned as he felt his attack meet flesh, and his attack began to dull and disappear. When it did he gasped.

Blood had splattered Gaara, but it was not his. He didn’t feel pain at all, or the splitting agony he knew that Chidori could inflict. Something metal clanged on a rock nearby. He looked at it, noticing it was a Konoha forehead protector. He looked up and saw pink hair waving around, splashed with the color red.

Sakura was staggering over, and when Sasuke ripped his arm out of her, her mouth fell open, her eyes practically popping out. The pink haired kunoichi looked to the side, and saw that it hit just below her collarbone. It barely missed her heart. Her feet were scrambling to keep her up, fighting for all of what they were worth. She shot Sasuke a look of pure hatred.

“Sakura... why... how?” Sasuke’s voice was cold and hard, but she chose to answer the question anyway.

“Because...” Her voice caught, held back by the agony of her wound. She took a few steps backward to keep her balance. “Because...” Staggering forward, she stared Sasuke right in the eyes. The next words flew out. They were uncensored, unchecked, she didn’t even mean to say it. She wasn’t sure it was the truth. But Sakura found herself not wanting to take them back.

“Because I need Gaara more than I need you,” she choked out, the horrible pain interfering with her speech. The image of Sasuke gaping in front of her was swimming in front of her eyes, and its waves looked so much like the sandy desert of Gaara’s home... She keeled over backwards, landing in Gaara’s lap. The kunoichi’s blood was seeping onto the forest floor and his clothes, staining the grass garnet red. Gaara was never so disturbed by blood before, and his red hot anger was slowly mounting. Sasuke was so intent on being amazed he wasn’t aware of sand creeping up his feet.

“Sabaku Kyu!” At Gaara’s command, the sand shot up around Sasuke. The Uchiha’s eyes went wide, amazed that Gaara got a hold of him. He squirmed, but the sand’s rock hard grip just squeezed harder and harder until he almost couldn’t breathe.

“The sand needs blood... I can’t think of anyone better, can you?” Gaara’s voice dripped from all the venom he possessed. “True, I think of others before myself, but I made no promises when it comes to you! SABAKU SOSO!”

The cold morning was splashed crimson, and for once, it was all because of one girl. A girl that may have changed Gaara forever.

Gaara turned around from the remains of Uchiha Sasuke, and turned to see Sakura jerking in pain. The tide of blood was flowing faster, so Gaara ripped off a sleeve of his shirt to wrap the wound in the heavy material. Blood just barely seeped through, so he picked her up bridal style. Her face was surprisingly calm despite her agonizing wound, even in unconsciousness. He resisted the urge to touch her face. His feet were moving mechanically, his mind speaking words that he thought he would never say to her.

3. balmung29 Lucky!

“Hang in there, Sakura. Don’t give up on me.”

Gaara found himself back in the cave, and Sakura was emitting squeaks of pain. He set her as gently as he could onto the stone floor. Her pink and red hair wisped around her face, and to Gaara’s horror he saw that her wound had bled through the sleeve and her breathing turned to panting. He looked hurriedly back at her face and saw pearl drops streaming down it. Her eyes were clenched close as she saw things Gaara couldn’t see, and slowly panic took over Gaara.

He was already ripping his other sleeve, wrapping around the puncture and using intense pressure to stop the flow of blood. “Sakura, no! Don’t do this to me!” he muttered, knowing she could not hear the desperate words. Sakura’s face clenched, and she let out a groaning noise that kind of sounded like a frog. Her entire torso clenched, and she kicked out with her foot hitting Gaara’s arm. He didn’t care. Sakura’s entire face twisted with agony of her wound and the person who had haunted her like a ghost since day one.

Gaara clenched her almost lifeless hand so hard he almost crushed it. “Sakura, I know you’re in there somewhere,” he rasped, knowing her pain as well as anyone else. “Sakura, fight back!”

Sakura let out a strangled scream, writhing in Gaara’s grip. He dragged her into his lap. “Sakura, you’re not weak! You fought against Sasuke, and saved me! Despite the fact I nearly killed you! Fight, Sakura!”

The exhausted girl tensed, and her eyes snapped open. Her emerald eyes were glazed in her anguish, but she was already trying to sit up. Gaara put a hand on her back to help, and she rested on her good hand. She looked up at Gaara’s face, looking confused.

“I heard you...” she said faintly, sounding like a child who saw something it shouldn’t. “Why do you want me to live so badly...?” Her voice cracked, and a river of tears escaped down her face. She was shivering, and clutching her wound.

Gaara looked away briefly, torn by indecision. His hand moved before he could stop it, and he grabbed Sakura’s chin. Forcing it up, he fastened his mouth on hers hard. Both their eyes remained open. Sakura’s shock faded slowly and she pushed back. Gaara released her so abruptly that she staggered backwards. They stared into the depths of each other’s eyes, before Gaara replied raggedly, “That’s why.”

Sakura’s mouth fell open a little bit, ignoring the sharp protests her shoulder was giving her. She tore off the clothing scraps Gaara had given her, and put her hand there. Her hand glowed blue as skin spread over the hole, and it stopped bleeding. She inched her way towards Gaara. No words were needed. He kissed her again, this time gently and with more passion. His tongue snuck into her mouth, plunging against her tongue and exploring everywhere. They broke apart, gasping for much needed air, and Sakura clutched herself on Gaara, getting as close as possible... or closer.

Sakura smiled faintly, and he held her for a long time before sleep overcame her. Her head was resting lightly on Gaara’s chest, and he smiled a real smile for the first time in ages. He slowly put her down, watching over his angel as she rested. Maybe, when they got back, things would be different. Maybe he could trust again, and feel whole. Deep inside, that’s what he always wanted. Maybe he could really love her.

Maybe. Just maybe.

Ifs one of my favorites. I think it was pretty good that would never happen in the anime though.

4. Shogun <marquee><font color='dark blue'>Standing Still</f

did you write that?

5. balmung29 Lucky!

no its one my favs though :)

6. Shogun <marquee><font color='dark blue'>Standing Still</f

fair enough, but i prefer the C force, hint hint...

7. Vance Banned

This was actually pretty good.

8. Sasuke2263 New Member

I really liked this fanfic I'm a huge fan of Gaara and Sakura and most of all when their together!

9. Vance Banned

I dislike both of em, but the fic was well written.