1. The NF Anime Awards for 2017 are out! Go check them out here!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Stop Scrolling!
    Attention - When discussing new chapters of an anime or manga, please use a source from the official list of approved sources. If you would like to contribute to the list, please do so in the suggestions section.
    Dismiss Notice

Zamasu (Not Black) and his fusion is very underrated.

Discussion in 'Dragon Ball' started by Toxic Saiyan, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Toxic Saiyan Once More... with vengeance

From the perspective of him being a simple unsympathetic, petty, pure hate villain. Let me explain...

Plenty of people who criticize Zamasu and how he is as to being “unsympathetic” and that his motive is supposed to resonate with us without looking into how that actually works. That he you aren’t supposed to sympathize with him or like him or his goal.

From Zamasu’s entire motivation, I feel it had an appropriate amount nuance in the fact that his perspective is incredibly short-sighted and flawed. That his descent into killing mortals and doing all that there is a duality to him, his genuine hate for mortals and seeing them as a blight and the fact that he is a petty sociopath with clear mental health issues. He grows to hate Goku only because he bested him in a fight in front of barely an audience. He despises that a mortal even comes close to his power.

And while I feel they should have highlighted his mental issues more early on into his development as to not have people misinterpret that he is supposed to be a “Sympathetic Altruist” or “Sympathetic Extremist”

More the fact that he is a mentally unstable, twisted manchild with a petty excuse under “justice.” His psychotic facial expressions when he fights alone are great to show how batshit insane be actually is.

This contrasts in some cases with Goku Black, in the with his Saiyan body he has redeemable traits such as an honorable need to grow stronger, he doesn’t monologue and like to hear himself talk, his sense of “justice” excuse is far less so and he lets his true madness unfold in a face that’s not his and along with his saiyan instincts in his body go as well.

His charm from being that he doesn’t hold as many pretenses and just goes with it and just says “fuck it!” He is far more composed when beaten, competent and less petty. He has a charm to him and is far more likable.

Zamasu himself has been shown to have an incredibly high sense of self-entitlement and that it is his duty as a god despite being told by the far more experienced and the fact that he has this feeling of him in the likes to him “playing god” ironically even though he himself actually is a god in the “Zero Mortals Plan.” You feel he has no right to do this and that this is not the answer as to him only just deciding to kill plenty of mortals from judging only one race the babarians.

He is a complete hypocrite in the fact that he kills for a amusement as well under genuine sense of “Justice.” He blinds himself to his own hypocrisy with his sense of “justice.” He himself only admitting that he loves to hear himself talk, but feels it as his “godly right.”

Zamasu’s Fusion serves to show far more of how he is more zamasu than ever before. This is where both his arrogance and his mental issues come to a head, his pettiness as well. All that I found pretty well executed if it wasn’t rushed to hell I would have enjoyed it far more.

He is the edgey psychotic high-school shooter in the form of a god and I (personally, you can sympathize with his motive if you don’t view it as petty like I do) absolutely was rooting for Goku or someone else to wipe that smug grin off his damned face and shut up his monologues and I loved that feeling.

For me personally on that reason alone I give him just as many points as a villain.

Tags:
  2. Mider T VM Rapist

3. Toxic Saiyan Once More... with vengeance

:vexed:rengescust

4. PlainWarrior Well-Known Member

:Mshad

Without fail just as usual.

5. Toxic Saiyan Once More... with vengeance

6. Juub Well-Known Member

In Dragon Ball, a huge part of the appeal hinges on performance in combat and Merged Zamasu while hyped up to be an insurmountable hurdle was made to look extremely weak because of conflicting opinions on how to write him. His demise was also terrible. Hence why people try just to forget about him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Claudio Swiss Well-Known Member

Pretty much performance is the main thing and how u go down in a fight
    Hit and Jiren put on 10/10 performances that backed there hype and went down swinging to the protagonist.
    Zamasu demise was pitiful due to the amount of PIS near the end that and they didn't really show why mortals were such a mass fuck up outside the barbarians

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  8. Toxic Saiyan Once More... with vengeance

That’s kind of the point. How Gowasu was a bad teacher in that he didn’t show any mortals that were genuinely peaceful and good and show their progress not to that of a savage race.
    I will agree, they should have paced it more like he was like a weaker Jiren in that Goku and Vegeta needed to soften him up to finally overwhelm his immortality, THEN comes Vegito and maybe Trunks.

The pacing absolutely crippled what could have been the end to a great arc

9. Blade DAN DAN

Merged Zamass is still one of my fav DBS characters

10. Juub Well-Known Member

He was dope. Just hate how they handled him. At first he was OK because he was manhandling Goku, Vegeta and Trunks but then out of nowhere they decided to retcon his limitless strength in the middle of the episode and they each did things they had no business doing against him. He should have crushed them like ants. Vegeto then would have crippled him and Trunks finish him off.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Claudio Swiss Well-Known Member

Yep but unfortunately super had shit writers so wat can u do.

12. Blade DAN DAN

> Shit writers

was it so obvious?

13. Kishido MVP

14. Erkan12 DB and OP Expert

He is a hypocrite. He believes every mortal should die, yet he steals a body of a mortal and even uses a fusion with that mortal body.

His true motivation is being extremely arrogant yet he acts like he has a divine agenda.

15. Blade DAN DAN

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  16. Millón Vasto Toyble has forsaken us!

I agree with juub. Most fans wouldnt go as far as toxic saiyan to analyse Zamasu. I myself certainly wasnt one of these griffith did nothing one fans who try to make zamasu some misunderstood hero and that it is all normal. Altough his questions and frustration with fellow mortals bieng aggresive is not uncommon for us to question. However i agree with the op that one shouldnt buy into that shit for a second.

But yeah performance was a big let down. Zamasu portrayal wich was just all over the place. Honestly the letdown for me was one of the biggest dissapointments.

If u look at the sheer weigjt of how zamasu was described. And read shit like " his ki erases attacks " i mean his fucking ki erases attacks. How muc more godly then that does it become? It fullfills the untouchable god trope. It would portray one of the biggest relative gap in the franchise ever. Befitting of his supreme god status. Imagine my shock with trunks and vegeta punking him. Goku punking him on his own.

Or shit like zamasu light referenicing him beyond gods incomprihensible.

It gave me an hogyoku aizen vibe. Like zamasu hype spanned beyond just episode statements it was in summaries. In fucking additonal data like the dangerscale.

There was no need for goku and vegeta to fucking do anythjng to him. I agree with juub that vegito could have just fucked him up. I mean hr had the tools. There was no need to shit on fusion time into inpracticality. Could blue kk vegito turn zamasu into goop. Then defuse keeping the hype of him surpassing thr potaras earings then have trunks finish him off.

But unfortunately zamasu was subjected to an tug of war between toriyamas dumb draft and toyble and toeis idea.

Atleat toyble showed some balls and bassically gave goku one free shot to fullfill the criteria and then it was rape time. The he circumvented fhr draft more by evolving blue in such a state he compresses all ki into his body and gave goku atleast an hakaishin tier teqnique. And even that wouldnt work we find out in the end.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  17. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan #1

It's like you missed the whole point lol. Let me break it down for you so you can also take part in that which all of us already understand.

The whole point of him stealing a mortal's body was to take the sins of the mortals upon himself, that was actually made pretty clear aside from all the other shit writings in the arc. He views himself as a messiah and considers his martyrdom a sacrifice to his so called 'divine retribution'.

Now back to the thread. I agree with OP on most points. I still think Zamasu was written like garbage and he was the reason I found the whole arc petty af tbf.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. MShadows Deathbat

Reading comprehension or any other kind of comprehension for that matter in general is not his forte Kappa

19. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan #1

Yes but I have taken it upon myself to be the hero that they need, but not the one they deserve. Sort of like a martyr for the low IQ gang by going out of my way and explaining obvious shit to them. You can call it wasted effort but I am being optimistically generous.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  20. MShadows Deathbat

They truly do not deserve such a kind soul... If only these nerds would realize their mistakes they would bow their heads in shame.

:wow

21. Recep Tayyip Erdoğan #1

As such is my burden to enlighten the unguided, but I perceived that this is also vexation of spirit. For in such wisdom is much grief. And he who increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow.

:noah

22. Juub Well-Known Member

:bury

23. MShadows Deathbat

Had it not been for Toriyama going senile while writing the outline for Merged Zamasu and TOEI doing their usual bullshit, we'd have gotten a proper portrayal of Merged Zamasu's true might.

IMO, how he was portrayed at the beginning: a being so powerful that not even the Kaioshin could comprehend his power, someone who could erase you just with his energy and so strong that he was no-diff'ing the Saiyans while playing around, just like a true fusion would.

Like @Juub and @Millón Vasto said, they basically retconned his power mid-episode and went full retard during the later half of the fight.

Realistically and logically, Merged Zamasu should've been using like 1% against the Saiyans for them to even stand a change.