Come enter in the Art Lounge Drawing Contest!
Deadline for entries is Sunday, January the 19th at 10pm UTC.
Dismiss NoticeWelcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.
Thanks and have fun. -NF staff
Viewing blog entries in category: Discworld
The Discworld roleplaying game on some of the various concepts in Discworld. For starters, the probability of the existence of the Disc is low, and it can exist because it exists in a region of Highly Stressed Reality.
It's about time I did more cosmology masterposts. So let's get going with Discworld! This doesn't have everything, sorry, but it has as much as I could gather, and I may expand it in the future.
Discworlds cosmology is massive, with infinite levels of infinity in "the" multiverse. Infinite more are created every infinitely short instance form every point. The multiverse is just a tiny part of an even bigger multiverse, and so is that to an even bigger one, up and down forever.
The Creators are incredibly powerful beings who create entire universes and multiverses, including the laws of physics.
Anthropomorphic Personifications (APs for short) are the embodiments of various aspects of reality and nature. Some of them exist independently of belief (or really, they're affected but just shaped by it), while others are sustained by it. The greatest APs exist all across the multiverse.
APs can create aspects of themselves, like the Death of Rats.
Gods are beings who are sustained by belief (not worship, as Small Gods makes a point of). The more believers they have, the more power.
Belief is what "creates" and sustains entities like gods (although they've previously existed as small gods), as well as shaping the nature of APs.
The Eight Old High Ones are beings of unimaginable power, and the most powerful entities in all existence. Only one of them are known, that being Azrael. They exist in a place where time has no meaning. Death is but an aspect of Azrael.
Now to sum up with the short version...
- The Discworld Multiverse consists of not only infinite universes, but infinite levels of infinity and worlds within worlds, with infinite more universes being created all the time at every possible moment from every possible point
- This includes all possible universes, from different outcomes of events to alternating laws of physics, all of fiction and the real world
- The Dungeon Dimensions are even bigger than the main multiverse
- There is not just one multiverse, but many, each with an infinite series of sub-multiverses, each infinitely bigger than the next
- These universes and multiverses are created by beings called the Creators, who exists independently of belief and can create entire universes, including their laws of physics
- Creators often go on to create all possible alternate universes for the universe or world they created, which can also exist as part of them, as can conceptual entities
- Creators create and sustain their worlds with music
- The universes are created, and are eventually destroyed
- Anthropomorphic Personifications (or APs) are the embodiments of the laws of nature; the most powerful ones exist across "the" entire multiverse
- Although not all APs are empowered by belief, all of them are shaped by it, and what people believe a concept such as theirs would be like
- The humanoid form of an AP is just an avatar, and their true form is far more abstract (for example, Death exists as the shadow of Creation, and it cannot exist without him)
- Gods are beings empowered by belief, and some gods are APs, the most powerful of which have infinite believers across the multiverse
- APs and Gods exist both inside and outside the rules of reality, and can have reality effect them only how they desire it to; infact, they can create and kill their own rules of nature, like time
- Time destroys and remakes the entire universe (and likely all universes "she" exists in, that being all of them) in the shortest possible unit of time (either a planck instance or infinitely short)
- APs are omnipresent
- Reality and magic are two opposing forces; reality is governed by the Auditors, magic by narrativium and the gods
- Magic can weaken the barriers of reality, which could allow Things from the Dungeon Dimensions to get in
- All of the above is sustained by the Eight Old High Ones, and beings like Death and Time are but tiny aspects of them
T = 804.67200m/1s
= Mach 2.36466543
Granny Weatherwax blasts cart = Mach 2.365
I'm not sure if Nation is part of the Discworld multiverse, but it bears some simularities, so it may be worth bringing up anyway. Imo (a Creator) creates the world, and Locaha (Death) and all the gods.
Thanatoseraph did this in the past, but I feel a need to redo it with some more info added.
T = 2.838219142e+21km/1e-43 seconds
= 9.46727999e58 C
Blinky travels across space = 9.46727999e58 C
h = 200000m - 48280.32m
V = πr^2h/3
= π X 8000000^2 X 151719.68/3
V = πr^2h
= π X 8000000^2 X 48280.32m
V = 1.01683506e19 + 9.70733431e18
Density of the Earth per m^3 is 5,515.3kg.
M = 1.98756849e19 X 5515.3
Let's get the GBE for this.
Centre of gravity = 200000m/3 = 66666.6667m X 2 = 133333.333m
Earths Gravity Pull = 9.807m/s²
Mass = 1.09620365e23kg
E = 133333.333m X 9.807 X 1.09620365e23kg
= 1.43339589e29 joules
= 34.2589839866 exatons
Impressive, but we're not done yet! There's also the four Elephants. The average height of an Asian elephant is 2.7m, while the average height of an African elephant is 3.3m, which averages out at 3m. The Asian elephant on average weighs 5400kg while the African bush elephant on average weights 6000kg, which averages out at 5700kg. In the foremost quote, the elephants are each 2000 miles (3218.688km, or 3218688m) tall.
M2 = (H2/H1)^3*M1
There's four of them, so times it by 4.
Not sure where the centre of gravity on an elephant is exactly, but it'd be somewhere in the main body, so let's go with two thirds of the way up.
Centre of gravity = 3218688m/3 = 1072896m X 2 = 2145792m
Earths Gravity Pull = 9.807m/s²
Mass = 2.81583839e22kg
E = 2145792 X 9.807 X 7.03959597e21
= 1.48139724e29 joules
= 35.4062437859 exatons
There's four of them, so times it by 4.
E = 1.48139724e29 X 4
= 5.92558896e29 joules
= 141.624975143 exatons
E = 34.2589839866 exatons + 141.624975143 exatons
= 175.883959 exotons
The Great A'tuin lifts the Disc = 175.884 exotons
The Great A'tuin does this every day endlessly and effortlessly. And this is still far off the true energy for two reasons. The first is that we still have to add the speed, and the second is that the elephants are seemingly made of metals.
Well, quite the opposite really.
T = 466000000000LY/0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000539106s
Time destroys & remakes the Universe = 2.7277617937940252e62C
Time for some more feats! In Discworld, time is an entity that destroys and remakes the universe every plank second.
Here I will discuss Azrael, the most powerful known being in Discworld by Terry Pratchett (mostly from Reaper Man). Firstly, Death travels ridiculously faster than light.