Viewing blog entries in category: His Dark Materials
827 pixels = 2m
1 pixel = 2m/827 = 0.00241837969m
0.00241837969m X 96 = 0.23216445m
0.23216445m/2 = 0.116082225m
0.00241837969m X 105 = 0.253929867m
0.253929867m/2 = 0.126964933m
Volume of it's head as an ellipsoid.
V = 4/3πabc
= 4/3 X π X 0.116082225 X 0.116082225 X 0.126964933
Pulverization of flesh (from the human body, which is close enough) is 12.9 joules/cm^3, or 12900000 joules/m^3.
E = 0.0071664462 X 12900000
= 92447.156 joules
Father Gomez's rifle power = 92447.156 joules
Iorek fights in this armour with little to no affect on his stamina.
Iorek Byrnison's strength = >123456.79 joules
Lord Asriels reactions = Mach 2.5
Live by the river!
V = 6.2042e+10 X 3.04800
Water has a mass of 1000kg per m^3.
M = 189104016000 X 1000
Let's get our energy for the rainfall.
E = 1.89104016e14 X 2.5 X 10^6
= 4.7276004e20 joules
= 112.992361377 gigatons
Not sure who that scales to yet, but it is referenced to have been caused by things in the sky and water as above, and there 's a further reference to this later on as being the effects of the Secret Commonwealth.
E = 3.04800 X 9.807 X 1.89104016e14
= 5.65264732e15 joules
= 1.35101513384 megatons
Southern England gets flooded = 112.992 gigatons
Old Father Thames control over the floods = 1.351 megatons
V = πr2h
= π X 4700^2 X 11,000
Density of a cloud is 1.003kg/m^3.
M = 7.63375599e11 X 1.003
Looking at this storm scale, and the above descriptions of the clouds not parting for a second when high winds blow at them, and most aircrafts would get slammed to the ground instantly like a fly, then the storm would likely register as a violent storm, with wind speeds of 56 to 63 knots, or an average of 59 knots 30.3522222(m/s).
E = (0.5) X 765665725797 X 30.3522222^2
= 3.52687605e14 joules
Next for the rain that fell. It soaks Lyra and will within a minute, and the fall of the drops is described to sting like the fall of tiny stones, as well as being hurtling, which sounds like heavy rain (which would fit in with the rest of the storm too). Heavy rain is on average between 10 mm to 40 mm an hour, which averages at 25mm, or 0.025m.
A = πr^2
= π X 4700^2
V = 69397781.7 X 0.025
Water weighs 1000kg/m^3.
M = 1734944.54 X 1000
Finally, for our energy. We'll add in the energy of the clouds being thrown around from earlier too.
E = 1734944540 X 2.5 X 10^6
= 4.33736135e15 + 3.52687605e14
= 4.69004896e15 joules
= 1.12094860421 megatons
The Clouded Mountains storm system = 1.121 megatons
And the Authority and later Metatron constantly sustained this for thousands of years.
R = 48.28032km (48280.32m)
V = πr^2h
= π X 24140.16^2 X 0.025
Weight of water is 1000kg/m^3.
M = 45768867.9 X 1000
Now to find the energy.
E = 45768867900 X 2.5 X 10^6
= 1.1442217e17 joules
= 27.3475549713 megatons
R = 64.37376km (64373.76m)
V = πr^2h
= π X 32186.88^2 X 0.025m
M = 81366876.2 X 1000
E = 81366876200 X 2.5 X 10^6
= 2.0341719e17 joules
= 48.617875239 megatons
John Parry summons a storm (low end) = 27.348 megatons
John Parry summons a storm (high end) = 48.618 megatons
I remember in the past thinking of how Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials would be great as a comic. Now this is to be a thing. A comic book series of the trilogy (The Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) is in the works, and the first of which will be released on the 22nd of September this year (according to Amazon).
The series will be adapted by St?phane Melchior-Durand and Cl?ment Oubrerie, and will be released in France before it is released in English (infact I believe it's already out in France, as it has won awards over there). The Northern Lights will be split into three books, according to Amazon. The rest of the series will no doubt be adapted in due time.
It shall at least be better than that movie we will never talk about and doesn't exist.
Just thought I'll bring this verse to light. I read the series years ago, and forget much of the details, so hopefully someone else will remember. In the meantime I looked up it's wikis to recall stuff. It's a great series, though towards the end it can get rather in your face with its messeges. I highly recommend it. The series has been compared to Narnia, though not as strong (Narnia has actual Gods where as His Dark Materials has false gods).
- Exists across an infinite multiverse, though I don't recall any mutliverse or universe busters.
- Beings called d?mons are the external embodiment of the soul. Adults have set daemons in the same shape, but the d?mons of children yet to go through puberty can change shape. D?mons can attack other d?mons and d?mons can attack people, but for a human to hurt a d?mon is taboo, and results in pain (unless they are lovers). A d?mon cannot stray too far from it's master, with a few exceptions, such as the witches, and Lyra at the end of the series. Everyone has a d?mon, in some worlds they are invisible. Other sentient races also have d?mons, but semi-sentient races do not (they're fine with this though). The bond between human and d?mon is strong, strong enough when severed to create colossal gates between worlds (and create a ridiculous amount of Spectres in the other Universe) and power a bomb that can kill anyone anywhere in the multiverse with only a piece of their DNA.
- Has some impressive tech, with soulf**k and such. Armoured Zepplins, gyrocopters, the Intention Craft (a machine powered soley by intention), tiny mechanical spy insects. Our world is one of the multiverses, where all our tech levels exist, plus a machine that can talk to Angels.
- A bomb that can kill someone anywhere in the multiverse, using the victims DNA and the seperation of human and D?mon. The explosion is so great that it opened a great Abyss into nothing. All the Dust would flow into this rip until all sentinal life in the multiverse (and perhaps all life in general) would cease to exist forever.
- A knife that can cut through anything (that's not an NLF), including dimensions. It can however, be affected by the weilders emotions.
- The Alethiometer, a device that tells the truth (there are 6 in existance).
- A race of soul-eating wraiths called Spectres exist. They are non-corporial and can only be hurt by objects like the knife (and maybe some other stuff). They cannot hurt children, and children cannot even see them. They can be reasoned with though, as Ms Coultier and John Parry did. Originally landbased, they were taught to fly (because teaching the non-corporial soul eaters to fly wastotally a good idea at the time). They are made whenever a gate is formed between universes.
- A race of angels exist who can travel between universes. They are made purely of dust, and can take the form of humans. They did not create the multiverse, but the Authority claims to have done so (the Authority is actually just the first Angel to have formed). The Authority and his Angels lived on the The Clouded Mountain. Despite being able to reach everywhere in the multiverse, the Angels are actually pretty weak. The Strongest Angel, Metatron, is over twice as strong as a peak human and the Authority was killed by the wind (Shin Megami Tensei, this is not). It is possible though that the ancient Authority was far stronger however, as it was said he created the afterlife, which contains all sentiel life from the entire multiverse (he may have lied about creating it though) and transfered what was left of his power to Metatron.
- Several peak human fighters exist, such as Lord Asriel, Lee Scoresby, Father Gomez and John Parry (Lee took on a platoon of soldiers and an airship all by himself and won, but died from his wounds). Lord Asriel was said to have once outsmarted a would-be assassin and made him drink his own poison, Far Gomez made the swan-monsters do his bidding and John Parry is a powerful shaman (he destroyed an airship by getting all the birds in the forest to land on it, drag it down under their weight and crash it).
- Other races with d?mons are the Mufula and fairy-like creatures with poisonous barbs in their feets with poison strong enough to kill a man. Semi-sentient races include gysts and armoured bears and perhaps the swan monsters.
- Armoured Bears are described to be far bigger and stronger than normal bears. They have a weapon called a fire thrower that can destroy airships.
- The strongest characters in the series would probably be Iorek, Metatron or John Parry.
- Some may tell you that a movie exists of the first book in the series, The Northern Lights (or The Golden Compass, in America). This is a lie; no such movie exists.
More things will no doubt be remembered later.